Photo

Is it just me or those Metro apps really sucks so bad?

win8

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:30

Windows 7 runs flawlessly on it, so yeah it works properly.

Doesn't mean you don't have bad hardware, or a install that simply went bad(happened in the early CP). or a HDD with bad sectors, and windows 7 is installed on the good parts, while Win8 happened to get the windows stor and/or some libraries on some bad areas on the drive.

there's a million reason why somethign works and somethign else does. and just saying another OS works fine doesn't need clear the harware from fault. anyone who's done any kind of computer repair and support work would know that. Even more so if you have rudimentary knowledge/education in the matter.

#17 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:32

I'm not a moron, I know when there are signs of a hard drive having bad sectors.

#18 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:37

It takes 2 seconds flat for Mail to launch for me, and I'm still running the RP.

#19 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:38

YEah, sorry, but you don't know nearly as much as you think you do. none of that guarantees hardware and software will work perfectly

On top of that, the second you mentioned "optimizing" you pretty much threw any credibility you had about knowing anything about hardware and windows out the window.

Good thing I don't require your validation in real life! You don't know me, nor the level of knowledge I contain. Let's stop pretending you do. Whether you find me credible or not means absolutely zero to me. The fact that you aren't able to comprehend the term "optimizing" pretty much threw any credibility you had about knowing anything about hardware and Windows out the window. ;)

no disrespect mate i don't know you or your tech skills but had my fair share of kiddies with a gear worth a nice convertible and a mouth bigger than bill gates's bank account and complaining about freezes but running custom drivers, "optimizing" the os (often referring to dated crap on the interwebz about system services disabling stuff they don't no nothing about to gain 30MB of memory when having 16 gigs of it) and overclocking 'till instability so i learned to take these kind of comments with a pinch of salt and a big glass of distrust - and of course OSes can respond differenty to custom settings like overclock

but again: i'm not saying you fit this description, hence point 3 of my previous comment

You mean you learned to jump to conclusions? Who said anything about overclocking or disabling services? Wow...quite the egotistical bunch you Windows 8 fanboy's are. If you're going to insult my intelligence, you should probably actually know me and or what I am/am not capable of. Anyway.....

#20 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:42

Your hardware might be perfectly alright but if the drivers are misbehaving, you can't do **** about it.

This is Neowin. If Microsoft software doesn't work properly for you it's always your fault. I know how to make my computer work ;)

^This is the new Neowin, when you run out of arguments to bash Windows 8, you blame the website. If you are bothered that much - why even come here?

and on topic - yes metro apps are very basic right now and my recommendation is pretty much avoid them on a non-tablet system. Set them up once and use live tiles. For actual mail/messaging - use the desktop apps or websites.

#21 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:44

store acts wonky on server 2012..sometimes I have to try 3-4 times to get an app to install....

longest wait to load... music and freshpaint.....

quickest are maps, weather,mail, and the rest of the others are hit-n-miss

#22 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:46

You mean you learned to jump to conclusions? Who said anything about overclocking or disabling services? Wow...quite the egotistical bunch you Windows 8 fanboy's are. If you're going to insult my intelligence, you should probably actually know me and or what I am/am not capable of. Anyway.....

good job reading the last line of his post :p

#23 deleted_acc

deleted_acc

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:47

just ignore the last sentence like you did with the previous comment mate... never said anything about you or your skills but when it comes to "egotistical bunch" it's not me flexing my IT skill muscles...

gonna say once more: i actually don't know you or your skills and TBH i don't care either way, i'm saying you cannot accept every comment stating "i have big f_cking computer skillz n00bs" stating their rig is perfect but windows (version x) is crap and for evidence there are no reproduced bugs, no logs or at least a f_cking KB article about the error just the word of some guy crying out

if you think this suit fits you then by all means complain further how i insut your intelligence but relax: i do not

#24 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:50

^This is the new Neowin, when you run out of arguments to bash Windows 8, you blame the website. If you are bothered that much - why even come here?

and on topic - yes metro apps are very basic right now and my recommendation is pretty much avoid them on a non-tablet system. Set them up once and use live tiles. For actual mail/messaging - use the desktop apps or websites.

Actually, I'm telling the truth. Windows 7 works perfectly for me, Windows 8 doesn't, and my hardware is not faulty.

#25 deleted_acc

deleted_acc

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:54

store acts wonky on server 2012..sometimes I have to try 3-4 times to get an app to install....

longest wait to load... music and freshpaint.....

quickest are maps, weather,mail, and the rest of the others are hit-n-miss

store had issues, i experienced the "stuck" update notification but it went away (no restart needed)

music is REALLY slow especially if you count the sign in process too but faster than it was back in the RP so i hope they'll continue to optimize it (the back end too 'cos sign in is/was slow in zune, the zune website and the xbox website too since forever)

quickest is maps and calendar but i have no issues with the rest of the bunch i use (as of now i've got 38 apps)

#26 OP wellofsouls

wellofsouls

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:57

yes, it's just you... and you CAN switch to another app while starting one up:
1. if you've got one that's slow and you know this just start it, snap to the side then use what you want or switch to desktop with win+d or whatever (but TBH i NEVER shut down the mail app or outlook)
2. you CAN switch to anything, apps start in the backgroud just fine

Hmm... the Metro app startup seems to just hang there if I switch to another application in the middle of it, and when I returns after five minutes it still greets me with the whirling circles. My company notebook is 1280x800 so I cannot use the "side-view" feature, but for my work desktops with greater resolutions and the "side-view" thing, it still behaves the same.

and saying all metro apps suck so bad then giving one example wich is pretty subjective (my mail app starts up around 3-4 secs) is not a good way to start an argument - but plenty of the metro apps suck, buggy or lack features i give you that

1. it will change with time, MS itself stated that they'll continually update their metro apps
2. all app stores are alike in this respect: 90% of the stuff is utter crap, deal with it and find your preferred 10%

well I can list all those Metro apps one by one, like Weather, Finance, People, Message, whatever. They all start much slower than their desktop counter parts. And harder to use. And those are Microsoft's own apps. It's not like third party apps we are talking about here, and even the Store app itself is slow and acting weird at times, this does not even come to the third party apps in the stores yet. I think one example should suffice here already, it's really about the Metro apps in general, I don't need to point out the names one by one.

And I'm using the genuine TechNet RTM version, not some preview releases. My team's clients want to test their products under Windows 8, so we are provided some licenses, and even a couple (really awful) Windows 8 tablets to work with.

#27 Mainer82

Mainer82

Neowinian

• Phone: Motorola 4 yr old flip phone

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:05

It's not just you, I too, find the apps mostly dumbed down and useless. Take Evernote for example, it's difficult to navigate tags and notes in their metro version unlike their full desktop version.

#28 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:11

Hmm... the Metro app startup seems to just hang there if I switch to another application in the middle of it, and when I returns after five minutes it still greets me with the whirling circles. My company notebook is 1280x800 so I cannot use the "side-view" feature, but for my work desktops with greater resolutions and the "side-view" thing, it still behaves the same.

You might look/have to wait for newer graphics drivers, I know there are new systems that can't do WinRT app acceleration properly yet. Usually they should load relatively quickly first run, and after that instead of closing be in suspend mode so have nothing to initialize or whatnot.

#29 deleted_acc

deleted_acc

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:16

well I can list all those Metro apps one by one, like Weather, Finance, People, Message, whatever

what do you mean when referring to "desktop counterparts"? websites or software? i of course use outlook, without it i would be half dead half stupid but i wouldn't count it as a "counterpart" for mail app - the latter is just an easy to use and finger friendly email client, sorta like outlook.com/email but on your start screen (what plus you get are the notifications and of course you can add multiple accounts)

weather, i find easier to look at a tile than go to a website - and for forecasts, the display of information is better in the application than on most websites i've seen

people, well... i think it's a great opportunity but yet a bit awkward to use, slow and not a bit like WP's people hub; but the notification section is great and it has potential, we'll see

anyway as i said earlier most of the apps are in need of at least one major update for performance and features but i'm pretty confident that we'll see quite a few of those till the 26th

#30 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:17

just ignore the last sentence like you did with the previous comment mate... never said anything about you or your skills but when it comes to "egotistical bunch" it's not me flexing my IT skill muscles...

gonna say once more: i actually don't know you or your skills and TBH i don't care either way, i'm saying you cannot accept every comment stating "i have big f_cking computer skillz n00bs" stating their rig is perfect but windows (version x) is crap and for evidence there are no reproduced bugs, no logs or at least a f_cking KB article about the error just the word of some guy crying out

if you think this suit fits you then by all means complain further how i insut your intelligence but relax: i do not

I didn't "ignore"' the last sentence. I actually didn't see it. I was just finishing up my shift at work and eager to respond. I apologize for missing your disclaimer. But for the record, I wasn't flexing anything. Just slapping down the "You're doing it wrong" bull**** that flies around when it comes to Windows 8 and how the majority of the pro-Windows 8 folks automatically assume anyone who has any real issues are stupid and don't know what they're doing.