Is it just me or those Metro apps really sucks so bad?

You do realize the average computer user has changed a LOT over the years. and MS has very detailed usage metrics on how their apps are used, and that's the basis for how the new apps are made.

There was a point when the average user wanted the full power of the old WMP. that time has long since passed and their metrics show that all people do in the apps is pick a playlist and click play. for that a full media manager app with included audio wrangler, sorry EQ, is overkill and more trouble than it's worth for what the user wants to do. and just helps to confuse them and make them annoyed because the simple functions they want are hidden amidst all the advanced crap they don't need.

if you need a good media manager, Foobar is that way. people who need decent media managers know where to find it.

So we should remove any advanced functionality of all programs because most people don't use it, and expect a third-party alternative?

• Like 2

So we should remove any advanced functionality of all programs because most people don't use it, and expect a third-party alternative?

3rd party is what most of us do anyway.

I think the functionality OR integration tradeoff is extremely detrimental to what Windows 8 could be. For example, look at the task of checking e-mail. We have built-in and integrated Mail and People (address book) apps that lack major basic functionality. The mail app hasn't even achieved feature parity with Outlook Express at this stage, while the People app can't do an online address book search (nor can the Mail app for that matter). There's no folder management in Mail, etc, etc.

On the desktop side, Microsoft has Windows Essentials and Outlook. Both are relatively feature-rich, but don't have the same degree of integration that leverages new features in Windows 8, such as Live tiles. At this stage, users are forced to choose between doing more, and a more seamless, integrated experience. I'm not seeing how this is a great thing.

But why should we have too? I understand if it takes a TON of development time, but not removing stuff for the sake of removing stuff.

But why should we have too? I understand if it takes a TON of development time, but not removing stuff for the sake of removing stuff.

meh, why should i have to dress how my employer wants me to? I mean you could apply that to anything in life.

I think the functionality OR integration tradeoff is extremely detrimental to what Windows 8 could be. For example, look at the task of checking e-mail. We have built-in and integrated Mail and People (address book) apps that lack major basic functionality. The mail app hasn't even achieved feature parity with Outlook Express at this stage, while the People app can't do an online address book search (nor can the Mail app for that matter). There's no folder management in Mail, etc, etc.

On the desktop side, Microsoft has Windows Essentials and Outlook. Both are relatively feature-rich, but don't have the same degree of integration that leverages new features in Windows 8, such as Live tiles. At this stage, users are forced to choose between doing more, and a more seamless, integrated experience. I'm not seeing how this is a great thing.

people still use email apps?.....in 2012??

oh

meh, why should i have to dress how my employer wants me to? I mean you could apply that to anything in life.

Like let's remove airbags because the majority of people don't use them? That makes about as much sense as that argument.

Then why do they say they want to make a UI across all devices. 2 of which are touch based devices, tablets and phones. Yes it works with a mouse and keyboard but over all the OS was built for touch, which is why the SAME OS is put on tablets and the same UI on phones.

So it's not a tablet OS? ... lets ask the question. If the iPad never happened and if Microsoft wasn't going enter the tablet Market, do you really think they would be using this same touch friendly UI? NOOOO!!!!! Thus Windows 8 is a Tablet OS.

True, if it was not for the iPad, Microsoft would have never made Windows XP tablet edition.

Like let's remove airbags because the majority of people don't use them? That makes about as much sense as that argument.

Life safety device is not a very good anology. But yes we do use them..for safety just in case purposes. but fail anology.

oh

What else should I use, crappy web apps, for my two different unique domain mails, gmail and some other stuff.... Seems convenient...

I have multiple e-mail accounts from different providers; registration use, private/personal, and professional. Am I supposed to sit at my browser with several tabs open and hit refresh over and over again to check for new messages? My job e-mail has an absurdly useless web interface, both for browsing as well as searching content and LDAP entries. Am I supposed to memorize the content and arrival date of every piece of e-mail that I've received in that account in the last four years, instead of letting my e-mail program gather everything together and create a local search index?

Yeah, web interfaces are fine and dandy if you have one or a couple accounts that happen sit on a feature-rich server. Out in the real world, sometimes you get assigned an account that you have to use whose web frontend and features seem like they were coded in 1996.

Another thing I'd like to see changed is when there are updates for the apps you get to see a changelog for them.

I've just had 5 apps say they have updates but I've no idea what's changed.

Life safety device is not a very good anology. But yes we do use them..for safety just in case purposes. but fail anology.

Cause your analogy was any better? You get PAID to WORK for your employer. You SHOULD be wearing whatever you're asked to. Just as we are PAYING Microsoft to WORK for us. If you're going to claim "fail analogy", you should probably learn to use proper ones yourself.

Another thing I'd like to see changed is when there are updates for the apps you get to see a changelog for them.

You have to go to the apps's page to view it. From the updates page, select just one app, and select 'View details'. It sucks when you have a bunch of updates.

If the News app is any indicator, then it is safe to assume that all updates will bring less content and more ads.