Photo

Is it just me or those Metro apps really sucks so bad?

win8

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#46 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:47

I haven't found a modern ui app that I like or use. I've uninstalled most of them and installed start 8 and now I'm back to using Windows 7.5.

Once a week I go into the store and see whats's new, possibly install a couple and try but usually within a few minutes I've uninstalled them again.

#47 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:03

I swear to God, if you hate Windows 8 it stops working. I've installed Windows 8 on 3 computers, love the built in apps, with the exception of sports they load up in seconds, and never crash. So I don't know how you people have **** luck with your apps, I have no problems, and they are faster and more convenient than the desktop apps.

#48 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:17

These apps are not made for use on your desktop, so why bother. I have run W8 on a desktop since the developer preview and I never use any metro apps, except to just mess around and try them out. And guess what? I still love Windows 8, the fact that I don't use those apps on my desktop does not detract from it. I will likely buy a W8 tablet and use the metro apps almost exclusively. Also, can we stop calling them modern ui apps? That is such a stupid name, and just because some random blogs pro-claimed that is the new name for metro apps doesn't make it true.

#49 +unabatedshagie

unabatedshagie

It used to be good on here.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:23

These apps are not made for use on your desktop, so why bother. I have run W8 on a desktop since the developer preview and I never use any metro apps, except to just mess around and try them out. And guess what? I still love Windows 8, the fact that I don't use those apps on my desktop does not detract from it. I will likely buy a W8 tablet and use the metro apps almost exclusively. Also, can we stop calling them modern ui apps? That is such a stupid name, and just because some random blogs pro-claimed that is the new name for metro apps doesn't make it true.

I'd hardly call the BBC a blog? http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19108952

#50 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:36

I swear to God, if you hate Windows 8 it stops working. I've installed Windows 8 on 3 computers, love the built in apps, with the exception of sports they load up in seconds, and never crash. So I don't know how you people have **** luck with your apps, I have no problems, and they are faster and more convenient than the desktop apps.

send teh gud vibez 2 windows 8

#51 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:56

"more convenient than the desktop apps." This one stuck out like a sore thumb for me. You say that as if its a fact or something. Only someone foolish or a (I must love everything MS puts out) kinda guy. Office - word, excel, and powerpoint opens faster than any metro app Ive used.

#52 dvb2000

dvb2000

Neowinian

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:02

For example, the Mail app can take more than half a minute to launch, while the Office 2010 Outlook takes less than half the time. Also you cannot switch out of the app while waiting for it to start.

how could that be? all the Windows 8 fanboi's have been telling us how much faster Windows 8 is at everything!

#53 Seketh

Seketh

Neowinian

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:03

how could that be? all the Windows 8 fanboi's have been telling us how much faster Windows 8 is at everything!

You see, Windows 8 "fanboys" are telling the truth, and that guy is trolling/lying.

Kinda describes the behaviour of many Windows 8 haters on most forum posts and comments.

#54 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:22

my mail up starts up in seconds and i can switch out whilst loading to another app or the desktop, and im finding most of the apps usable, though i find myself 97% on the desktop i still switch to modern

#55 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:57

You see, Windows 8 "fanboys" are telling the truth, and that guy is trolling/lying.

Kinda describes the behaviour of many Windows 8 haters on most forum posts and comments.

Except it's happening to others, not just him. Kinda takes a big dump on your trolling/lying theory. That's unfortunate.

#56 Seketh

Seketh

Neowinian

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:16

Except it's happening to others, not just him. Kinda takes a big dump on your trolling/lying theory. That's unfortunate.

It is? Because there are other trolls around here, not just him.

I've installed Windows 8 in 5 machines with very different hardware configurations and not one has displayed such an issue.

I have experienced rare crashes, but never long loading times.

Unless OP has a Pentium 4 with 512MB, a very old IDE HDD and a 56K internet modem, I call shennanigans on this thread.

#57 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:00

It is? Because there are other trolls around here, not just him.

I've installed Windows 8 in 5 machines with very different hardware configurations and not one has displayed such an issue.

I have experienced rare crashes, but never long loading times.

Unless OP has a Pentium 4 with 512MB, a very old IDE HDD and a 56K internet modem, I call shennanigans on this thread.

I've never experienced long loading times with Metro apps, but Mail does seem to crash whenever something happens in one of my IMAP accounts. I'll get crashes when a message gets sent, or when trying to view messages in a different folder, and sometimes for no apparent reason. I'm hoping that these issues will be fixed in the next iteration of the app (seriously, it was retarded to release the app without full IMAP support and folder management abilities) and that Metro apps have a more frequent release schedule than flagship desktop programs like Office and IE.

#58 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:39

I've never experienced long loading times with Metro apps, but Mail does seem to crash whenever something happens in one of my IMAP accounts. I'll get crashes when a message gets sent, or when trying to view messages in a different folder, and sometimes for no apparent reason. I'm hoping that these issues will be fixed in the next iteration of the app (seriously, it was retarded to release the app without full IMAP support and folder management abilities) and that Metro apps have a more frequent release schedule than flagship desktop programs like Office and IE.

IMAP is coming before GA.

"more convenient than the desktop apps." This one stuck out like a sore thumb for me. You say that as if its a fact or something. Only someone foolish or a (I must love everything MS puts out) kinda guy. Office - word, excel, and powerpoint opens faster than any metro app Ive used.

There are no equivalents in Metro to Word, Excel, or Powerpoint. My mail app loads substantially faster than Outlook and it integrates better with the notification system of the OS, so I like it.
I prefer desktop Onenote. Stop telling me I'm having a bad experience when my experience has been awesome :)

#59 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:43

I'm not a moron, I know when there are signs of a hard drive having bad sectors.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......click click....click click....click click... :)

#60 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:45

These apps are not made for use on your desktop, so why bother.

This is not true. Many of the apps are designed to be great on desktop PCs (as well as mobile ones). I use the Music and Videos apps all the time on my desktop at home (and Music pretty regularly at work). I also use Mail, my own Foursquare app, Messaging (mostly when people FB message me), Modern Reader, and that's not counting the ones I use mostly for the tiles (Weather, Calendar, etc).

I think some people conflate the "desktop" OS environment with "desktop" the form factor. This is unfortunate. Most computers running Windows 7 (which only offers the desktop environment) are in fact mobile PCs (i.e. laptops). Just because an app is written for the desktop environment, doesn't mean it's only for desktop PCs. Likewise, just because an app isn't for the desktop environment, doesn't mean it isn't for PCs that happen to be sitting on desks.

It's true that at work I spend most of my time in the desktop environment (Visual Studio, Outlook, CMD, etc). But that doesn't mean I don't also use some of the new style apps. My home desktop on the other hand has only has two desktop apps I've used recently: The Logitech tool for programming my Harmony remote, and Audacity which I used for a fun little project last week. That said, most of my computing these days happens on my mobile PC(s).