7 app background limit in Windows 8?

win8

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:38

Had some updates on the RTM trial version today and had to reenable background notifications for one app and was surprised to see a message popup that I had too many already. Turns out the limit is a measly 7 apps. Does this limit seem ridiculous to anyone else? I actually do like W8 but even my Lumia 900 allows 9 apps to run in the background, how can a desktop OS be limited to just 7? Maybe this is why Intel is able to claim such long battery life times, because you can hardly run any apps on the bloody things! :/

#2 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:41

Yes. I've been shouting this for quite some time. But the apps limits varies depending your screen resolution. In my case I get a max of 9 apps.

#3 max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:47

That sucks. I didn't know this.

#4 OP efjay

efjay

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:52

That makes it even more ridiculous, your screen res should have the least impact on whats running in the background, would have expected overall PC specs to determine that. I never subscribed to the idea that W8 was just a mobile OS but I'm starting to lean that way now. With the potential number of apps available having only 7 being able to run with all features enabled is pathetic.

#5 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:57

Gotta luv Win8 lol! :rolleyes:

#6 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:05

With the potential number of apps available having only 7 being able to run with all features enabled is pathetic.

Why would you need more than a couple Metro applications actually running full time? The number of programs that actually need to be running 100% of the time isn't that great and would work perfectly fine with scheduled updates/notifications. Media players, torrent clients, etc sure. But for the vast majority of Metro applications, not really.. 99% of the time they're waiting on you to do something anyway or run functions at scheduled times.. they wake up, do their thing and go back to sleep again.

#7 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:22

It's only background notifications that are limited - not how many applications can actually compute in the background.

Screen resolution only effect what shows up in the task switcher - you're available RAM affects how many can stay loaded in the background.

Applications actually doing background processing generally aren't capped at any number, but they only get ~1-2 seconds computing time in the background every 15 minutes.

#8 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:26

They should have allowed only 1 app to run in background and that is Desktop.

#9 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:12

This is not true. Apps can run in the background without being on the lock screen. My foursquare app uses a background task to provide tile updates and toast notifications based on your location. It does not request (or even support, so far anyway) being added to the lock screen.

Lock screen apps get additional background time and more triggers. But any app can run *some* background tasks. And if you're on AC power, any app can run quite a lot on periodic tasks (called "maintenance" tasks).

Also any app can use push and polling notifications, scheduled notifications, etc.

#10 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:18

ITT lots of people know nothing about how Windows 8 works.

FYI, the resolution only limits how many apps are in the left side app switcher. When apps are pushed off the switcher, they're still open, you'll just need to hit the tile to switch back to the app.

#11 Sszecret

Sszecret

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:33

How can your 900 have 9 apps in the background? Isn't the limit 5?

#12 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:44

How can your 900 have 9 apps in the background? Isn't the limit 5?

Not talking about phones here.

#13 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:46

Not talking about phones here.

I think he was referring to the OP who mentioned the Lumia 900.

#14 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:52

I don't really see the problem. If you want to get real work done you should use the desktop. Why would you need to have 7 metro apps running simultaneously?
Sure the limit is stupid, but I doubt it will affect most people. Someone will probably find a way around it, too.

#15 OP efjay

efjay

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:55

This is not true. Apps can run in the background without being on the lock screen. My foursquare app uses a background task to provide tile updates and toast notifications based on your location. It does not request (or even support, so far anyway) being added to the lock screen.

Lock screen apps get additional background time and more triggers. But any app can run *some* background tasks. And if you're on AC power, any app can run quite a lot on periodic tasks (called "maintenance" tasks).

Also any app can use push and polling notifications, scheduled notifications, etc.

Well the problem is apps that do use the lock screen and run in the background are limited to 7 and there is no way to know whether an app will require such access until you try to enable its notifications and you get the error. That is not enough and means you have to micromanage your apps which is strange for a supposed desktop operating system.

I don't really see the problem. If you want to get real work done you should use the desktop. Why would you need to have 7 metro apps running simultaneously?
Sure the limit is stupid, but I doubt it will affect most people. Someone will probably find a way around it, too.

What do you mean by "real work"? What is the point of using the OS if you don't use its features?