Copying Large Files from USB to HDD Windows 8

win8

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jbarcus81

jbarcus81

American

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:51

I purchased a 64gb USB flash drive to backup my files, movies, pics, etc. So, I upgraded to Windows 8 and am trying to move some of these files back.. Keep in mind some of these are large video files of 1 - 7 gigs in size. Anyway, here is the issue. While copying the files I get an error message saying the destination no longer exists.. I'm trying to copy the video files to my Videos library folder.. I have had success copying single files but that will take me forever.. Here is the popup I get..

Posted Image

Should I try moving to my C drive and then move to their final distiations??

#2 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:58

Is the flash drive formatted NTFS? Fat32 can only have 4 gig files. There's your problem! :)

#3 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:02

Is the flash drive formatted NTFS? Fat32 can only have 4gb files. There's your problem! :)

corrected

#4 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:05

corrected

Corrected my post too. Thanks for that. :)

#5 OP jbarcus81

jbarcus81

American

Posted 28 October 2012 - 20:16

The files are already on the USB drive... The flash drive is formatted NTFS ... I'm trying to get the files from the flash drive to my hard drive.. I'm using an Asus K53E Laptop ... All these files were on this computer while I was on Windows 7 ... but moved to Windows 8 and I can't get them back on the hard drive.. Keeps tell me the destination does not exist.. Also.. from testing, I can move each file individually .. but if I grab the folder that has all of them inside I get the error message..

Edit:: I tried with individual files... was working, but once I got into the larger files, over 4 gigs, same error... What the heck!! Never had this issue with Windows 7 ..

#6 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 October 2012 - 21:35

The files are already on the USB drive... The flash drive is formatted NTFS ... I'm trying to get the files from the flash drive to my hard drive.. I'm using an Asus K53E Laptop ... All these files were on this computer while I was on Windows 7 ... but moved to Windows 8 and I can't get them back on the hard drive.. Keeps tell me the destination does not exist.. Also.. from testing, I can move each file individually .. but if I grab the folder that has all of them inside I get the error message..

Edit:: I tried with individual files... was working, but once I got into the larger files, over 4 gigs, same error... What the heck!! Never had this issue with Windows 7 ..

That's goofy. Is it just with those particular files or anything you try to transfer?

#7 OP jbarcus81

jbarcus81

American

Posted 29 October 2012 - 00:40

That's goofy. Is it just with those particular files or anything you try to transfer?

One specific file that kept failing I transferred that to my older Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 and it failed... different error though..

"An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error 0x800703EE: The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid

. ... WHAT?? Googling this error code sends me to Windows Backup errors.. The files are fine, I can play the videos from the USB drive.. just can't get them off the flash drive...

#8 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 29 October 2012 - 00:48

I sometimes get this with my USB converters. I have to unplug, then replug it, then retry the copy. No idea why this happens, but i'd go with bad cable or some sort of interference.

It doesn't explain why it's happening to you on Win8 though. :/

#9 OP jbarcus81

jbarcus81

American

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:11

I'm lost.. and annoyed to be honest.. LoL.. One thing I also noticed, while I'm watching videos via the USB drive it will lock up.. then force me to force close the application I'm using to view the video, then acts like it was unplugged then plugged back in.. It's a PNY Attache 64GB Metal Flash Drive.. On the back of the package I found P-FDU64G/APPMT-GES3 but can't find any specific information about it.. Also, if I try to scan the drive for errors, says it's write-protected ... I'm lost!!

/////

Also, if I right-click a file to move instead of copy.. I don't have that option...

#10 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:45

Try blowing out the USB plug. It might be dusty.

#11 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 23

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:53

Windows copy sucks. Use robocopy in a cmd prompt.

Robocopy source destination /e

#12 Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:08

Yes, try an alternative such as 'Copy Handler' or 'Tera Copy'.

Failing that, perhaps you could just re-download the videos? ;)

#13 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:16

I was going to mention TeraCopy as well. Haven't tried it on Win8, but I install on every new install of Windows XP and 7.

#14 OP jbarcus81

jbarcus81

American

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:36

I'll give it a shot.. but right now the bigger issue is the "write protected" crap.. There is no switch that I can find for me to set this, and I don't remember setting this anywhere.. As soon as I bought it, I formatted to NTFS and moved files..

#15 OP jbarcus81

jbarcus81

American

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:09

TeraCopy seems to be helping.. I have my personal movies and files over.. so if I lose the rest they can easily be replaced.. So, this drive being Write Protected.. what can I do? I didn't make it this way, that I know of...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!