Valve: Linux More Viable Than Windows 8 for Gaming

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#1 ThePitt

ThePitt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,808 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:02

In a presentation at Ubuntu Developer Summit currently going on in Denmark, Drew Bliss from Valve said that Linux is more viable than Windows 8 for gaming. Windows 8 ships with its own app store and it is not an open platform anymore.

Some other points from the talk:
  • Steam client is running nicely on Ubuntu and many developers have approached them with good game products.
  • Cooperation with Canonical has been good.
  • Ubuntu is preferred platform as it has a large user base and good community support with a strong company like Canonical behind it.
  • Linux has everything they need: good OpenGL, pulseaudio, OpenAL and input support.
  • New Source engine games will be available for Linux.
  • No firm time frame for Steam Linux release, but soon.
  • Copy protection is up to the game publishers.
Drew announced that anyone with a Launchpad account attending UDS will be given Steam access through a beta key.

http://www.ubuntuvib...-windows-8.html

#2 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,232 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:05

Windows 8 ships with its own app store and it is not an open platform anymore.

Literally stopped reading right there. This stuff is beyond nauseating at this point. Just stop, Valve.

#3 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:08

Literally stopped reading right there. This stuff is beyond nauseating at this point. Just stop, Valve.

Windows is not what it used to be.... is becoming slowly and apple-esque platform, but if they indeed could push gaming into ubuntu... I'm soooooo much switching from windows 8 to ubuntu as my entertainment os, working os can be windows 7.

#4 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,498 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:09

Awesome, I want Ubuntu hats!!

#5 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,637 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:11

Depends on your point of view. At the moment Windows 8 is not a closed platform, but if like me you see the evidence that there's progress towards making windows a closed platform, Valve are probably right. Games work better when you aren't limited by completely arbitrary restrictions like those placed in Apple and Microsoft's app stores. And Ubuntu being open source, Valve could even influence it at the API level if they so wished which provides the potential to completely tailor their games and the OS to each other. As it is though I don't see Windows 8 as being any more or less viable for gaming than Windows 7, however providing support for other platforms is always positive in my book.

#6 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:13

They're wasting their money with Steam on Linux.. Even if Steam gives Windows 8 the finger, that doesn't stop steam partners from publishing direct and gaining access to the Windows 8 Marketshare.

BTW, Why isn't Valve ripping on OSX/Apple with the same hostility?

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,310 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:13

Wait. I just installed an app from the Internet this morning. What's that about a closed platform? Shut it, Valve, no one cares anymore.

#8 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,232 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:18

Someone please provide a list of Windows 7 programs that will not run on Windows 8 because it is a "closed" platform.

#9 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,498 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:21

Besides the point, you of little reading comprehension.

Because that has never been a hallmark of the Apple or 'purpose built device' ecosystem (thanks derp). Seems people forget that MS won the desktop wars (and gaming) through openness and modularity vs the 'it just works' proprietary bull**** from Apple that they seem to be adopting.

#10 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:21

Someone please provide a list of Windows 7 programs that will not run on Windows 8 because it is a "closed" platform.

True, they could publish Steam istself through the Windows 8 marketplace.. (or at least as a link like the other win32 apps currently there)

#11 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,468 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:23

Shut it, Valve, no one cares anymore.

I care. I probably have 300-400 $ of games with them.

Valve is referring to "Metro" apps. It's a closed platform. The desktop you can install whatever the you want.

#12 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:24

Windows is not what it used to be.... is becoming slowly and apple-esque platform, but if they indeed could push gaming into ubuntu... I'm soooooo much switching from windows 8 to ubuntu as my entertainment os, working os can be windows 7.

:rolleyes:
Good luck with that.

I have basically no respect left for Valve. They can go **** themselves.

#13 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,865 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:27

Maybe if you didn't immediately throw your toys out of the pram, you'd notice that's an edit by the OP. The original article says "Windows 8 ships with its own app store and it is moving away from an open platform model."

I've re-read the article twice and see no reference in it to 8 being closed. Just closing.

#14 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,310 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:29

Valve is referring to "Metro" apps. It's a closed platform. The desktop you can install whatever the you want.

So then Windows is still an open platform, no? That includes the option to install Valve?

#15 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• 3,095 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 16:29

I care. I probably have 300-400 $ of games with them.

Why do you care then if Valve can't sell metro apps when the existing apps all work? (and wouldn't work under linux btw..)

It's a competing platform.. not closed.. anyone can get in and develop apps for it for free. (i'd call consoles closed platforms..)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!