Photo

Windows Phone 8. Like it? Buying it?

poll windows phone 8

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows Phone

Like it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Buying it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which device you like the most?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 bogas04

bogas04

This title is bogus

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 November 2012 - 20:34

Just in case you didn't see this earlier :

Some of the features are not 920 specific (in fact in above vids only the shaky thingy is specific) , this shows how the WP8 Camera app (with the "lenses") is way ahead any other platform. It seems funny how addition of panorama in iPhone 5 was really a big announcement when compared to these features.

#47 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 01 November 2012 - 21:10

I'm on the fence actually. I'm off contract soon but thinking I may stick with my WP7 another year and see how things look. In retrospect, I've been pretty unhappy with the amount of updates and simple things that still don't work right. You don't get 'two' do-overs for the reasons LApex and .Neo cite.

A front facing camera is my biggest motivation for a new device, but that will only matter if the Skype integration is a lot tighter.

#48 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 01 November 2012 - 21:19

I like it, I'd give it a 4/5. I don't like it for me, but I like it still. If I had a second phone, I wouldn't mind having one. And I'd suggest it to people over the iPhone for someone who wants a simple phone. I'm Android all the way though. That said, I think I'd take the 8X over the 920, but it's close.

Tough call really , while 8x looks sexier , is lighter and cheaper than 920 , 920 has better screen , touch , camera. I don't know if it's worth to spend Posted Image10k or so for those features... Also I don't really like the gloss they added to 920's body :/

See, that's the thing. The screens are at best a dead even tie, if not in the 8X's favor. The 8X has higher pixel density, and a proven SLCD2 which looks absolutely amazing in devices such as the One X (And the 8X will have far higher pixel density than the One X even). I haven't seen the Lumia's screen in person to compare, but every review I've seen places them on par. I'd be very impressed if Nokia managed to match the beauty of the SLCD2 in the 8X. I'll give you touch for the 920. Working with gloves on is pretty cool, but a bit gimmicky. Not a huge deal to me, but if you lived in Canada or something, maybe it'd be a bigger deal. Unless of course it's actually cold and you're wearing thick gloves, then it still won't work. And the Camera, they both have pros and cons on. The HTC ImageSense chip is in the 8X which makes it a far faster shooter, and quality is supposed to be fantastic. Then again, the 920 has a lot of tweaks added to their camera, and camera has always been one of their specialties, then again, they've had trouble with this specialty in the past.

Overall, the Lumia sounds like it's full of gimmicks to make it seem more desirable, while the 8X sounds like a more solid device overall, albeit with a few less features maybe. Either way, I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them. They are both fantastic.

#49 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.102

Posted 01 November 2012 - 21:31

WP8 is superb, fluid and super fast but I'm sticking to Android for the time being. I can't stand not having my favorite apps & games I wouldn't like restrictions or a closed os. I may ultimately switch when the platform really takes off and when developers consider porting their iOS/Android apps onto WP8. Jumping on a half baked os wouldn't be a wise decision, at least for now. :)

#50 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:19

getting the 920 off-contract after my Vegas trip.

#51 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:07

i was eagerly awaiting the windows phone 8 and windows 8 presentation. on my desktop I have already upgraded to windows 8 pro, just because I like new stuff, and I kinda like it. The metro stuff is pretty much optional on a desktop and hardly any useful but I am not forced to use it.

Now where I really imagined a lot of synergy is the combination of the two. but tbh, there is hardly any. where is the advantage of having win8 and win phone 8? i see none. at least no relevant one.

seriously, the ms ecosystem needs a competitive advantage and that could be tieing the systems together. as long as this is not done in a thoughtful way, i see no reason to switch from my galaxy nexus. android has become more mature and it does just all you wanna do. hardly any limitation whereas windows phone 8 has quite a few.

dont get me wrong, im a big fan of microsoft and what they do but im also objective and realistic. currently, they do not offer anything special. no significant advantage. i hope they keep working hard and fast before they lose traction again.

#52 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:03

I've got a Windows Phone 7 smartphone (LG), so I won't be able to access any Windows Phone 8 whatsoever. Thanks, Microsoft, the next time I will need a phone (very far away in the future, that's it) I'll consider your kindness and respect for me as a long-time customer and I'll get a completely different product....

#53 guru

guru

||guru||

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:16

currently on HTC Mozart. the launch lineup is sad really version with
Nokia: 920 is chunky.
HTC 8X is almost the same dimensions has 920 without pureview and smaller screen
Ativ seems to be an afterthought but is the only phone with 32GB internal and SD card slot. camera from the reviews sucks compared to 8X and 920.

i think i'll wait for the Surface Phone :/

#54 KRazpopov

KRazpopov

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Omnia 7

Posted 04 November 2012 - 17:27

I'm thinking of sticking with WP7 for another year and then switching to WP8 or whatever version it is then.
If I could upgrade right now though, I'd go for the Lumia 920.

#55 WaveZero

WaveZero

Neowinian

• Phone: Android 4.2.2 AOSP

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:04

Buy it? I'm sure a free one would come my way, considering the fact they keep on giving away them like candy... LOL

#56 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:13

Dunno what color 8x to get :(

#57 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:22

Dunno what color 8x to get :(

The one with the grey color. Approximately your signature picture one. It looks pretty business type phone, if you ask me, in that color

#58 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 18:40

I definitely am getting one! :D

#59 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 06 November 2012 - 19:53

I must admit I do like the designs of Windows Phone's, but I could never buy a Windows Phone at the moment mainly because of its lack of apps at the moment. That, and I enjoy the huge customisation that I have available on my Android phone (and future Android phones as well). I won't be stuck with Android 4.0.4 because 4.3 won't support the hardware; I can find a ROM online and flash that to my device so I can have the latest features and with some of the bloatware removed so I get a faster experience too.

However, I think for parents Windows Phone is a good phone to have. It isn't overpriced like iPhones are (though Windows Phone 8's are hardly affordable either). It's good because of the Kid's Corner feature and its ease of use. But for me personally, it definitely isn't the phone to have - it would just limit me so much compared to what I can do on my Android phone.

#60 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:12

I think so many problems with Android right now. I don't think current crop looks great at all. I like the HTC windows phone 8. If windows phone gets just a few more key apps like Mint. (which is rumorred).