[POLL] What are your favorite CPUs and GPUs for 2024?

Topic will be automatically locked at 06:59

Preferred CPU and GPU for 2024? (AMD, Intel, Nvidia…)   

58 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite processor (CPU) for 2024?

• AMD
    • Ampere Altra
    • Apple M-series
    • Intel
    • Nvidia Grace
    • Qualcomm Snapdragon
    • Samsung Exynos
    • Other [specify below]
  2. 2. What is your favorite graphics card (discrete GPU) for 2024?

• AMD
    • Intel
    • Nvidia
    • Other [specify below]

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 01/01/25 at 06:59

Hello,

This is the new yearly poll for your preferred processor (CPU) and graphics card (discrete GPU) manufacturers. 

The old poll is located here.

Please leave a comment sharing your current hardware, plus any upgrades you plan on making this year!

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 2 weeks later...

My recent purchases reflect my biases - Intel CPU - i7 - and Nvidia GPU - GT 710 for now, but GTX 1050Ti down the pipeline - used to own one before.

I had purchased a Ryzen 7 5800X a little less than 6 months ago to keep my AM4 board going for another year or two. In 2022 right as prices started to fall, I bought (for wayy too much) an RTX 3080 12gb to replace my aging RX 580 8gb.

I have no interest in paying these exorbitant prices for any of these overvalued graphics cards available right now but will most likely upgrade to an RTX 5080 if that ends up being a decent value for the money. At some point in the next two years I think I'll be comparing available intel and amd boards to see if the grass is really greener.

Weird poll... You listed some non-consumer CPUs but left out Broadcom that people may actually be using in their Raspberry Pi? No Google Tensor?

On 09/01/2024 at 09:32, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Weird poll... You listed some non-consumer CPUs but left out Broadcom that people may actually be using in their Raspberry Pi? No Google Tensor?

That option is "Other [specify below]"

On 09/01/2024 at 09:34, satukoro said:

That option is "Other [specify below]"

Did you not understand my comment? A number of CPUs almost no one here is using are listed (which should fall under "other") while popular used ones are not. That is not how one makes a proper poll.

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot

On 09/01/2024 at 09:42, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Did you not understand my comment? A number of CPUs almost no one here is using are listed (which should fall under "other") while popular used ones are not. That is how one makes a proper poll.

Feel free to make your own poll then, this one looks fine to me.

Been partial to AMD for quite some time now for both CPUs and GPUs.  Not married to them CPU wise but I do like the bang for the buck that AMD gives versus Intel.  But I'm pretty much done with nVidia for GPUs now because of the half a__ed Linux support. KWin and Wayland and nVidia? Oh my. Even other desktops under X11 was pretty janky. I didn't really get the Torvalds "F-U Nvidia" bit until I switched nearly full time to Linux.. now I do.

If I were purely a Windows user though, then sure, the GPUs are quite good if you can afford them.

On 09/01/2024 at 09:51, satukoro said:

Feel free to make your own poll then, this one looks fine to me.

So if you made a poll asking people their favorite color it would look fine to you if the options were blue, red, yellow, amaranth, and celadon with green and purple left off?

The solution is not to have two polls here for favorite CPU LOL but for the OP to maybe take some feedback and adjust accordingly with the current poll to improve it.

On 09/01/2024 at 10:22, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

So if you made a poll asking people their favorite color it would look fine to you if the options were blue, red, yellow, amaranth, and celadon with green and purple left off?

The solution is not to have two polls here for favorite CPU LOL but for the OP to maybe take some feedback and adjust accordingly with the current poll to improve it.

That is a false equivalence.

Jeez this forum has gotten so whiny lately when anything isn't EXACTLY how they would have done it.

On 09/01/2024 at 10:26, satukoro said:

That is a false equivalence.

Jeez this forum has gotten so whiny lately when anything isn't EXACTLY how they would have done it.

That is not a false equivalency in any way. They are both examples of polls were common options were left off while unknown/uncommon options were listed.

It's standard for people to suggest other options be added to online polls as it's easy to forget something that should have been included.

On 09/01/2024 at 10:37, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

That is not a false equivalency in any way. They are both examples of polls were common options were left off while unknown/uncommon options were listed.

It's standard for people to suggest other options be added to online polls as it's easy to forget something that should have been included.

I'm not sure 4% and 1% market share for broadcom and tensor respectively really counts as "common".

On 09/01/2024 at 10:59, satukoro said:

I'm not sure 4% and 1% market share for broadcom and tensor respectively really counts as "common".

Raspberry Pis are common as ###### among readers of tech sites. Phones with Google Tensor are more common than with Samsung Exynos SoCs these days at least in the US. I would be surprised if more than a couple of readers here have ever touched or seen a device with an Ampere Altra  or Nvidia Grace CPU. Do you think those chipsets are anywhere near 1% for whatever numbers you are citing? The whole IoT/ Single-board computer category is ignored here for some reason. We are done here now right?

Edited by Good Bot, Bad Bot

On 09/01/2024 at 13:05, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Raspberry Pis are common as ###### among readers of tech sites. Phones with Google Tensor are more common than with Samsung Exynos SoCs at least in the US. I would be surprised if more than a couple of readers here have ever touched or seen a device with an Ampere Altra  or Nvidia Grace CPU. Do you think those chipsets are anywhere near 1% for whatever numbers you are citing? We are done here now right?

Are raspberry pi and google tensor processors your favorite? Then select "Other [specify below]" and write it in a comment in this thread. Something being popular in the US vs the world is a moot point.

Ampere Altra and Nvidia Grace are both gaining popularity in the datacenter world and make sense as an option in this poll.

On 09/01/2024 at 13:45, satukoro said:

Are raspberry pi and google tensor processors your favorite? Then select "Other [specify below]" and write it in a comment in this thread. Something being popular in the US vs the world is a moot point.

Ampere Altra and Nvidia Grace are both gaining popularity in the datacenter world and make sense as an option in this poll.

I already did what I wanted to do which was suggest more options to the OP which is NOT you. Seriously, WTF? Go away I am not looking for new friends so sorry.

On 09/01/2024 at 14:12, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

I already did what I wanted to do which was suggest more options to the OP which is NOT you. Seriously, WTF? Go away I am not looking for new friends so sorry.

All I'm saying is there is already an option on the poll for your choice.

On 09/01/2024 at 07:32, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Hello,

What would you like to see added, and what do you think should be removed?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 09/01/2024 at 22:49, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

What I thought should be added was right in what you quoted (Broadcom and Google Tensor). The Ampere Altra and Nvidia Grace are odd additions since not SoCs for consumer devices.

On 09/01/2024 at 21:49, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

IMO....I think last years was just fine....

1. What is your favorite processor (CPU) for .....?

AMD
Arm (Apple, Samsung, Qualcomm, etc.)
Intel
Other (please describe)

• Like 3

On 09/01/2024 at 23:04, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

What I thought should be added was right in what you quoted (Broadcom and Google Tensor). The Ampere Altra and Nvidia Grace are odd additions since not SoCs for consumer devices.

Hello,

Thank you.  I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else that should be changed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

Im currently using a RTX4090 AMD 7950X3D with 6000mhz 128GB ram's. plan to upgrade is CPU if 3D versions of 8000 series comes. as for gpu ill wait till 6080ti or 6090.