• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:24

So i just got me a 13" Samsung Ultrabook. I want to do a fresh install of Windows 8, any ideas on where my CDKEY is?? Used to be CD Key on the bottom.

#2 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:28

Sometimes it's placed on the power adapter. Sometimes there's a little flap you can lift up. It really depends. Look at your manual.

#3 OP The_Observer

The_Observer

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:38

Sometimes it's placed on the power adapter. Sometimes there's a little flap you can lift up. It really depends. Look at your manual.

Yea check everywhere. mmmm maybe i need to contact samsung.

#4 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:52

Sure it is not on any paperwork that came with the computer. Either way might have to call Samsung.

#5 Piggy

Piggy

Filthy Canadian!

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:59

Did you check the manual? it could be in there.

#6 skilithead

skilithead

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:00

So i just got me a 13" Samsung Ultrabook. I want to do a fresh install of Windows 8, any ideas on where my CDKEY is?? Used to be CD Key on the bottom.

There was a thread mentioning something about it earlier , here's the link to an article discussing it :http://www.tomshardw...soft,16636.html

#7 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:03

You're not really supposed to fully reinstall Windows, you can use the "refresh my PC" thingy.

Microsoft has a completely new OEM installation type since Windows 8 that makes it a lot harder to pirate Windows. With Windows 7 all laptops of the same type shared an embedded license in the BIOS that could be validated with the right certificate file. With Windows 8 now every machine has a unique identifier.

You could try if ABR still works on Windows 8. It's a tool that backs up the license information on the software side: http://directedge.us...kup-and-restore
It worked brilliantly in 7 and will still only work on your own laptop since the license info is linked to the BIOS, but I'm not sure if Microsoft's changes in 8 broke the tool. Could be worth a shot.

#8 OP The_Observer

The_Observer

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:32

You're not really supposed to fully reinstall Windows, you can use the "refresh my PC" thingy.

Microsoft has a completely new OEM installation type since Windows 8 that makes it a lot harder to pirate Windows. With Windows 7 all laptops of the same type shared an embedded license in the BIOS that could be validated with the right certificate file. With Windows 8 now every machine has a unique identifier.

You could try if ABR still works on Windows 8. It's a tool that backs up the license information on the software side: http://directedge.us...kup-and-restore
It worked brilliantly in 7 and will still only work on your own laptop since the license info is linked to the BIOS, but I'm not sure if Microsoft's changes in 8 broke the tool. Could be worth a shot.

thanks for that! yea i want to upgrade the HD to SSD!

#9 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:40

what? It is completely legal to re-install a fresh copy using OEM key. :huh: Refresh my PC won't help if Samsung has saved the last state.

#10 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 27 December 2012 - 18:55

i got a samsung ultrabook too and i need help with the following:

- i replace my ssd and obviously lose the windows 8 installation

- how can i re-install windows 8 on that new ssd?

#11 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:06

• Grab a retail ISO that matches your version that was installed by your OEM (Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro)
  • Use Windows 7 Store USB tool to create a bootable 4GB+ USB stick
  • Use the bypass product key request during install fix (Google/Bing for Windows 8 create ei.cfg)
  • Add your ei.cfg into sources dir on the USB stick
  • Boot off of USB stick
  • Proceed to fresh install
  • After installation connect to the internet and run Windows Updates
  • Fingers crossed, your EFI firmware should activate your copy of Windows 8

#12 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:14

CD-Key is built into the Bios. Windows 8 will detect it on a reinstall and load it automatically.

#13 Buzz99

Buzz99

Formerly Buzz98...

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:18

Your proof of license may be located under the battery....

#14 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:23

Your proof of license may be located under the battery....

Nope, see my post above.

#15 OP The_Observer

The_Observer

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:49

Had the same issue! On boot press F4 you should get into a a recovery option. Plug your SSD into a usb 2 sata port and then you can copy the HD onto SSD drive. BACKUP everything,