win8

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 shall_i_cut

shall_i_cut

Touch me if you dare

• Phone: O+ 8.91

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:44

My mom, 48 yrs old, told me after we tried out some windows 8 laptops(a vaio non touch) that she loves metro style and that she loves how all her info are there at a glance, she loved the fact that it looks very simple, apparently, she has already let go of that controversial win7 menu.

See, an almost-50 y/o mom can easily use win8 and she isnt that techie either, she only became curious when she watched the commercial.

Fyi, she still has a job in a government agency that still uses(sigh) XP by default.

#2 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:46

Very interesting. I've been reticent to encourage my mom and dad to upgrade to Windows 8, but maybe they'll like it.

#3 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:47

Good for her :)

#4 Stup0t

Stup0t

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumina 520

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:56

See this is I think windows 8 will win. Your normal user, who just wants to surf the net, Facebook, email without having to reconfigured this and that, they log in and its all there, that's what I liked about win8 and I am seriously considering replacing my main desktop OS with win8.

#5 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:00

Some people does indeed far more than just browsing and cheking email... some people DO real WORK.

#6 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:04

My mum is 62 and she loves Win 8 and Metro too, gave her a machine with the RP installed and then the RTM when Technet got it and she started using her machine much more now

#7 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:07

Some people does indeed far more than just browsing and cheking email... some people DO real WORK.

Which is why I've been using it at my job for the past six months, managing about a thousand computers. It's nice having my work order queues pinned to my start screen, as well as my most commonly used apps. I have a folder group on my screen so I don't have to browse to them anymore, I can just start typing from my start screen.

Stop ****ing and moaning, and learn to use the OS. I do real work and it helps me.

#8 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:08

I'll tell you what your mom... *cough*

Yes, Windows 8 is the OS for consumers. Its target audience was the iPad crowd and it has happily reached it.

#9 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:12

Which is why I've been using it at my job for the past six months, managing about a thousand computers. It's nice having my work order queues pinned to my start screen, as well as my most commonly used apps. I have a folder group on my screen so I don't have to browse to them anymore, I can just start typing from my start screen.

Stop ****ing and moaning, and learn to use the OS. I do real work and it helps me.

Yeah? You must have a very intensive job then... /s

#10 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:14

Windows 8 is great for consumers. It's great she likes it. :)

#11 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:15

Yeah? You must have a very intensive job then... /s

Come on guys, keep it civil. What works for some people doesn't work for others, it's as simple as that. We don't need to reduce each and every Windows 8 discussion in to both parties screaming, "I'm right, you're wrong" with the opposing side saying, "nu-uh!"

#12 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:17

i've had my father on RP, now retail, for quite a while. He seems fine with it. Doesn't seem to care that he lost the start menu but at the same time doesn't seem to really think much about the start screen either. He's not fussed, still uses it for whatever. btw, he's 70. I installed the retail a few days ago and setup his start screen, to what i believe, may have him peeking at it more, we'll see.

#13 NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:17

Windows 8 makes it easier to DO real WORK (Typing like a teen, I'll play along) while making it stupidly easier for casuals to do everything they want to do. It's really a win for everyone.

Name one thing you think is harder to do or more cumbersome in Windows 8 over 7, and you will get a rebuttal 100% of the time. Your stance is simply wrong and ignorant.

#14 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:19

Yes, Windows 8 is the OS for consumers. Its target audience was the iPad crowd and it has happily reached it.

well put!

#15 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:21

Windows 8 makes it easier to DO real WORK (Typing like a teen, I'll play along) while making it stupidly easier for casuals to do everything they want to do. It's really a win for everyone.

the DO real WORK comes from this: normally you read very fast... but the brain doesn't pay too much attention to it until a second view, so, DO WORK is the first thing you well understand, then if you read again, DO real WORK appears... it's just a bit of subliminal message. If I would write like a teen, then I would write like other people whose words get either censored ***** or are just unintelligible to be read.