My mom loves windows 8!

win8

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#46 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2012 - 22:01

Some people does indeed far more than just browsing and cheking email... some people DO real WORK.

Real work is where Windows 8 completely fails at.

#47 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 November 2012 - 22:06

Explain.

#48 PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 1020)

Posted 02 November 2012 - 22:10

Your comment is where you failed, I'm a professional programmer I have tons of Visual Studio and tons of other windows open all the time the start menu is the greatest thing ever, I can organize all my programs in groups which makes searching for them a lot better.

I'm pretty sure you're not doing "real work" or you never tried Windows 8 to make an ignorant comment like that

#49 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2012 - 22:18

Windows 8 is windows 7 on steroids. Well, at least with a few tweaks mainly provided by the free classic shell... Plus it was $15 for win8 +MCE, which is the absolutely cheapest OS MS ever put out. Even at $40 for key which will upgrade from XP to Win 7... still cheaper than windows 7 is!
I can only shudder to think what 'spyware' comes directly from MS now. Its identical to win 7 if you bypass metroUI, except much snappier. Drivers are issues, but not too bad with zadig helping out. Any gamers should avoid for now however... game developers don't like it at all.

#50 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:15

the start menu is the greatest thing ever

So, you're agreeing that Windows 7 and previous is better due to the start menu. Thanks. :)

#51 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:24

it was ok on my TV. It only became great when I finally increased the size of everything in the ease of access settings

Is it like this for your fathers' tv as well?

Actually, he was just using it with the default setup. I'll mention that to him, as it would probably be a lot more practical for him.

#52 PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:25

So, you're agreeing that Windows 7 and previous is better due to the start menu. Thanks. :)

The windows 8 start screen is still a start menu. And no, compared to Windows 8's it's a ****ing disaster

#53 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:26

Non-techies love it.
The techies want the Start Menu back.

#54 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:30

the start menu is the greatest thing ever, I can organize all my programs in groups which makes searching for them a lot better.

I'm pretty sure you're not doing "real work" or you never tried Windows 8 to make an ignorant comment like that

Yep, i agree. The Start Menu pretty much does everything i need it to do. The Start Screen on the other hand, is a space-wasting, ugly, disorganized (by default), piece of garbage. It looks like you took the partial contents of the Start Menu and barfed them all up on one disorganized screen. Yes, I know you can organize it manually, but if you take it as Windows sets it up when adding programs, it's absolute rubbish.

The Start Screen does absolutely nothing to promote business productivity - it is desinged in fact for the opposite. It's fine if you want to sit around and look at social news and media updates and cute stuff like that all day. But if you want to be productive in a work setting, you're going to use the Desktop.

To the OP: I'm glad your mom likes Window8. Ignorance seems to be an iherited trait in this case. (sorry, i had to! jk)

#55 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:32

Non-techies love it.
The techies want the Start Menu back.

I'm a 'techie', I don't want the start menu back. The start screen takes up the full screen (primary monitor) for a fraction of a second while you press Win [+ w] + type -> Enter to launch an application, apart from that you don't even have to use it, I really don't see the issue. I've run Windows 8 for 4 months and I see the start screen for probably 15-30 seconds a day while working as a game programmer.

#56 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:33

I'm a 'techie', I don't want the start menu back.

I'm a geek, and I do.

#57 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:36

The windows 8 start screen is still a start menu. And no, compared to Windows 8's it's a ****ing disaster

It's a screen not a menu. One that takes up the entire screen.

#58 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 1020 8.1

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:46

Some people does indeed far more than just browsing and cheking email... some people DO real WORK.

You can do real work on Windows 8.

#59 PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:48

It's a screen not a menu. One that takes up the entire screen.

It's still a menu stop arguing and look up the definition of the word menu.

#60 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:50

You can do real work on Windows 8.

Sure you can! It's just less designed for business productivity than previous versions. Windows 8 is all about personal, social connections and entertainment. Not a business OS at all.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!