I have several Windows 8 Pre Sale Questions

win8

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pubudu Kodikara

Pubudu Kodikara

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:13

I want to buy Windows 8 Pro and install it in a clean formatted system. In the store, there are two options... To download Windows 8 or to get it Shipped. If I need to make a clean Install, can't I download? Do I have to get it shipped?

Does they support PayPal in the Online Store?

#2 BigDavy

BigDavy

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:43

When you download and run the installer, you'll be presented with two main options - perform installation from the installer, or create an ISO image for mounting onto a USB pen drive or burning onto a blank DVD. Because of this, there's no real need for getting a shipped copy.

And yes, you can use PayPal or a credit card for the online payment.

Incidentally, to use the upgrade, you'll need a valid XP, Vista or Windows 7 installation. If you have a spare XP license, I'd install this first, then let the installer perform a clean installation over this.

#3 OP Pubudu Kodikara

Pubudu Kodikara

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:50

Will

When you download and run the installer, you'll be presented with two main options - perform installation from the installer, or create an ISO image for mounting onto a USB pen drive or burning onto a blank DVD. Because of this, there's no real need for getting a shipped copy.

And yes, you can use PayPal or a credit card for the online payment.

Have you tried it? Will they create an ISO image or burn it themselves? I can't burn it in the PC I have Windows because its DVD writer is not working. I have to get the ISO to the other machine.

#4 BigDavy

BigDavy

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:57

Will

Have you tried it? Will they create an ISO image or burn it themselves? I can't burn it in the PC I have Windows because its DVD writer is not working. I have to get the ISO to the other machine.

The installer can't record the ISO, but something like ImgBurn can do this for you. I have the ISO transferred onto a blank re-writeable DVD, for installation onto the other two systems. So long as the system you're planning to install it to has at least a valid XP installation, you'll be able to use the installation DVD.

#5 OP Pubudu Kodikara

Pubudu Kodikara

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 13:03

Oh that means I need to have Windows in it? The problem is, Im planning to install it in a machine which have completely Linux. The only Windows machine I have is a laptop which doesn't have required drivers supporting Windows 8. I can't upgrade that. So that means I have to get it shipped? Another issue... Just checked the MS Store and no PayPal :(

#6 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2012 - 13:07

Yes Microsoft really messed up with this version. I had to reinstall Windows 8, but before I could do that and have the key work, I needed Windows 7 installed first. The only choice would be to get the OEM version I guess?

#7 BigDavy

BigDavy

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 13:09

Oh that means I need to have Windows in it? The problem is, Im planning to install it in a machine which have completely Linux. The only Windows machine I have is a laptop which doesn't have required drivers supporting Windows 8. I can't upgrade that. So that means I have to get it shipped? Another issue... Just checked the MS Store and no PayPal :(

That's because it's an upgrade licence - without a prior installation of Windows, you'll need to acquire an OEM copy instead (which will be more expensive).

It's strange that PayPal isn't available - In the UK, PayPal is a valid payment method (along with credit cards).

#8 OP Pubudu Kodikara

Pubudu Kodikara

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 13:14

That's because it's an upgrade licence - without a prior installation of Windows, you'll need to acquire an OEM copy instead (which will be more expensive).

It's strange that PayPal isn't available - In the UK, PayPal is a valid payment method (along with credit cards).

You mean the pro pack?

#9 BigDavy

BigDavy

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 13:19

You mean the pro pack?

The Pro Pack upgrades the standard version of Windows 8 (effectively the equivalent of Windows 7 Home Premium) to the Professional edition. What you need is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) edition that's intended for installation onto new PCs or PCs without a prior Windows installation: http://www.ebuyer.co...d-oem-wn7-00403

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!