Unacceptable Advertising in Windows 8/RT Xbox Music App

win8

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:54

Can anyone else confirm that even when playing personal music library using the Xbox Music app on Windows 8 (in my case Surface RT) random audio ads (commercials) will pop-up between songs or playlists?

Again, this is not using the freebie Xbox Music subscription, when playing you own music library. I'm hoping it was an anomaly. This would be unacceptable to me.

#2 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:57

I haven't experienced this myself (as I haven't used the Windows 8 Music app for any personal music—I just use Spotify), but someone I know posted a Facebook status update about it the other week, so it seems as if it might be working like that :/

#3 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung ATIV S i8750

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:57

Can anyone else confirm that even when playing personal music library using the Xbox Music app on Windows 8 (in my case Surface RT) random audio ads (commercials) will pop-up between songs or playlists?

Again, this is not using the freebie Xbox Music subscription, when playing you own music library. I'm hoping it was an anomaly. This would be unacceptable to me.

It's probably because you're streaming your music library and not downloading and playing the albums.

#4 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760

Posted 10 November 2012 - 23:01

It's probably because you're streaming your music library and not downloading and playing the albums.

I'm going to copy my entire music library over to see if this takes care of the issue.

#5 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 10 November 2012 - 23:10

Use a damn media player, that's what those are for.

#6 Clirion

Clirion

Neowinian

Posted 10 November 2012 - 23:13

I can confirm it does not play ads when using your Personal Music.

If you use the Smart DJ feature or stream music you do not own, it will play ads.

#7 Active.

Active.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 23:15

Use a damn media player

as opposed to the Xbox Music App which is a _______ ?

#8 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 10 November 2012 - 23:18

Thanks, you saved me the trouble.

#9 phailyoor

phailyoor

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717

Posted 10 November 2012 - 23:35

as opposed to the Xbox Music App which is a piece of ****.

#10 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:08

Yep I've had ads appear while my own music is playing (not streaming). It's so annoying that I gave up on the Xbox Music app.

#11 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:13

Yep I've had ads appear while my own music is playing (not streaming). It's so annoying that I gave up on the Xbox Music app.

I think using a cloud synced playlist is the culprit. Even though the files are local, it takes a while to find them locally and streams if available. It requires more work than Zune, iTunes, or WMP but I think it's going to do what I want. I hope. I'm tired of little third party apps that should be in the base OS. That includes Zune. With the Phone Sync app, if I can get my playlists the way I want, no more Zune.

It would have been nice if there were a more direct way to sync music and videos from desktop to Surface. :/

#12 RatherLargeBear

RatherLargeBear

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:16

Ads DO NOT appear while playing locally stored music.

#13 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:20

Ads DO NOT appear while playing locally stored music.

I noticed that streaming icon on one of the songs on a synced playlist. There is no manual library update that I see so I'll have to wait for it to find everything locally then hopefully that will be the end of that.

I was on Bluetooth headphones and having the ridiculous add pop-in made me think my Surface had malware! I'm OK with the ads on free apps and such, but audio/video, interrupting a playlist, not good.

#14 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:29

So after all the nonsense, we finally arrive at the the realisation that the Xbox Music app does not play ads when listening to local music. Only when playing playlists with content streamed from Microsoft's online service. In other words, exactly the same as Spotify and every other streaming media service. In other words, a total non-issue. Can we move on now?

#15 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:43

So after all the nonsense, we finally arrive at the the realisation that the Xbox Music app does not play ads when listening to local music. Only when playing playlists with content streamed from Microsoft's online service. In other words, exactly the same as Spotify and every other streaming media service. In other words, a total non-issue. Can we move on now?

I just ignore the haters, I'm using the Xbox Music App it's inner workings aren't exactly documented, it's learn as you go. All the playlist functionality is there, just like Zune you just have to play with it, a lot.

I'm not happy the Xbox Music app seems to take forever to match your local music to a synced playlist but I do have a large library. I just wish there were a manual process to do it. It leaves A LOT to be desired but once you have everything synced and figure out the convoluted UI I see no reason for another app.

Discovering the Xbox Music app on the Surface is not optimal, I suppose I should spend more time with it on my desktop, but I prefer WMP there.