Windows 8 No More Issues(knock on wood)

On 29 October 2012 - 16:55 I posted a thread A final good bye to Windows I was upset with all the slowness and everyone was giving me such a hard time, not because of my choice to leave Windows, but how I stated it. For that I apologize. Sometimes I post things that infuriate people. Most times I post things without even thinking and not on purpose. Other times, I post things in anger and retaliation.

Anyways, a little over a week ago, we finally got our ISP to come out and remove their old modem box and replace it with a new one. The next day, I reinstalled Win8. I have been running Win8 now without any issues. (knock on wood again) No slow down with the appz or system, no dropped connections. Calendar, People and the Weather app each broke once. But so far so good. I am still a little confused as to how the modem box could cause as many issues as it did.

I will not go into what all was said in that last thread, but so many mean things were said from myself and other persons. I for one apologize. Anyways, it's good to be back on Win8. Now I can play my games again.

• Like 2

I'm glad you got everything worked out. Enjoy Windows 8. :)

Thanx Growled, it feels great to be back on Win8 and playing my games again.

Why do you apologize for anything.?

If you want to stop using an OS and/or complain about it you have the right to do so. And anyone who reply with a lack of respect and/or with a stupid answer to your problem like "it's you not the os" deserve anything you might say to him.

Problems with Windows are common. And despite what some people here will tell you the answer to those problems is often a re-installation of the OS. I've been it tech for years (a real one not a fantasy one like some people here) and this is really common (far less with Windows 7 than previous version and not enough exp with 8 to know if it's better or worse).

I'm glad you were able to solve the issue. I'm not a linux hater but let's just say i would not use it as my main os for various reason (though Unbuntu is a nice distro for everyday use).

Why do you apologize for anything.?

If you want to stop using an OS and/or complain about it you have the right to do so. And anyone who reply with a lack of respect and/or with a stupid answer to your problem like "it's you not the os" deserve anything you might say to him.

Problems with Windows are common. And despite what some people here will tell you the answer to those problems is often a re-installation of the OS. I've been it tech for years (a real one not a fantasy one like some people here) and this is really common (far less with Windows 7 than previous version and not enough exp with 8 to know if it's better or worse).

I'm glad you were able to solve the issue. I'm not a linux hater but let's just say i would not use it as my main os for various reason (though Unbuntu is a nice distro for everyday use).

I was apologizing for how I came off. My OP wasn't meant to offend anyone but it did. The post went off quickly after that.

To be honest these days if you say something remotely negative about Windows 8 here you'll offend a lot of people. Windows 8 is like the Apple of Microsoft to them.

I'm actually running Windows 8 and i'm a long time MS products fan. I own an XBox 360 too. I own office. Use Visual Studio and work in c# right now (have been for the last 3 months). My only departure from Microsoft is my Apple iPod Touch cause in my very humble and totally personal opinion this is the best mp3 player out there.

Every time i try to speak remotely against Windows 8 like dunno MS could gives users the choice to use the start menu if they want to i get flabbergasted like there's no tomorrow.

Anyway it's nice to you to apologize.

A recommendation of mine. Make an image of your installation and store your important data on a secondary HD. This way when Windows goes crazy you can restore it without any trouble.

A recommendation of mine. Make an image of your installation and store your important data on a secondary HD. This way when Windows goes crazy you can restore it without any trouble.

Yeah, why bother using the built in refresh option in windows that does just that in a flash with no problems ;p

I just bought 2 copies today for $40 using their little program. Downloaded the MSDN version off the torrents, but found microsoft was charging what I considered a good price for a good OS. Fast operating system that seems pretty intuitive. I like how it found my networked USB printer automatically without having to unplug the printer, hook it up to the computer with a USB cable, install drivers, etc. I love how it mounts images without third party software. I love how fast it is. I've found I don't even need to install third party apps to bring back the start menu, that I don't miss it.

I admittedly decided to run my PCs in local mode and not use any of the apps though, I'd rather just open up firefox and use my bookmarks to get news, weather, and sports, but that's just personal preference. :)

A real tech would know how to sort out most issues without having to always resort to a reinstall of the OS. A reinstall is often the quickest method, but not always the best.

Then again I'm probably one of those on your fantasy tech list...regardless of my credentials. :p

I was apologizing for how I came off. My OP wasn't meant to offend anyone but it did. The post went off quickly after that.

BTW thanks for the apology. I also apologize for any frustration I may have caused you. I'm still very glad you managed to get things working. :)

• Like 2

A real tech would know how to sort out most issues without having to always resort to a reinstall of the OS. A reinstall is often the quickest method, but not always the best.

Then again I'm probably one of those on your fantasy tech list...regardless of my credentials. :p

BTW thanks for the apology. I also apologize for any frustration I may have caused you. I'm still very glad you managed to get things working. :)

I've never had a problem that requires a reinstall, heck for most of my clients I avoid dong a reinstall unless its a bad virus as well, as its better for me and the client if they don't lose all their installed programs and settings hat I can't set back up or it would take to long to be worth it.

For me personally, I just don't install crap that breaks my windows anyway, but maybe he just likes installing bad ware and malware on his computer, just so he has justification for saying windows needs to be reinstalled every x months, which hasn't been true since 9x

Yeah, why bother using the built in refresh option in windows that does just that in a flash with no problems ;p

I really don't wont to get involved in all these win8 threads. People have contacted me for my personal opinion on win8 via PM and I have given it. Just not going to join the nonsense that most of these threads lead into.

But i want to point out what might be a bit of a flaw in your statement. Yes the refresh and reset options are kind of nice to see finally. But I don't think you an LaP are on the same page here.

While a refresh will keep all your documents and new apps, etc. in play and not have to reinstall them. Your 3rd party application/software will be gone will it not? My understanding of refresh is only metro apps will be maintained. If I install product X and run it via desktop in win8, a refresh/reset and that is gone is it not?

Where if I took an image of my machine once I got it to the state I like, EVERYTHING would be back to that point in time. All my applications would still be installed and working as they were - not just the new store apps.

Maybe I am mistaken, I have not played with win8 enough to have gotten to test that aspect yet.

As to the original topic that called for the OP to start this one - I read it, and yeah it was a MESS. Without wanting to bring up the old thread, I fail to see how any issue with a network connection could cause some of the issues he was having. So clearly something got lost during the discussion of his problems.

• Like 1

I really don't wont to get involved in all these win8 threads. People have contacted me for my personal opinion on win8 via PM and I have given it. Just not going to join the nonsense that most of these threads lead into.

But i want to point out what might be a bit of a flaw in your statement. Yes the refresh and reset options are kind of nice to see finally. But I don't think you an LaP are on the same page here.

While a refresh will keep all your documents and new apps, etc. in play and not have to reinstall them. Your 3rd party application/software will be gone will it not? My understanding of refresh is only metro apps will be maintained. If I install product X and run it via desktop in win8, a refresh/reset and that is gone is it not?

Where if I took an image of my machine once I got it to the state I like, EVERYTHING would be back to that point in time. All my applications would still be installed and working as they were - not just the new store apps.

Maybe I am mistaken, I have not played with win8 enough to have gotten to test that aspect yet.

As to the original topic that called for the OP to start this one - I read it, and yeah it was a MESS. Without wanting to bring up the old thread, I fail to see how any issue with a network connection could cause some of the issues he was having. So clearly something got lost during the discussion of his problems.

I'll answer that myself. When I was having my original slow down issues, I was trying to fix them. People would advise me to try this and that and the other. So I did all that and more. Which compounded my issues a thousand fold. So I was doing more harm then good.

When my orginal issue stemmed from the modem box itself.

I did a full backup with all my 3rd party appz and gamez. The refresh is nice to have, but it will not backup everything.

Actually Budman, you can make that Refresh load the exact same as your image. The site listed has what you can do to make it snap back to where you have everyting installed as well.

http://www.howtogeek.com/108944/how-to-create-a-custom-refresh-image-in-windows-8/

This way, if you have to refresh, it goes to a stable point with your stuff loaded.

• Like 1

Actually Budman, you can make that Refresh load the exact same as your image. The site listed has what you can do to make it snap back to where you have everyting installed as well.

http://www.howtogeek...e-in-windows-8/

This way, if you have to refresh, it goes to a stable point with your stuff loaded.

Nice. Thanx for that Clirion.

http://www.howtogeek...e-in-windows-8/

Nice link - yup that looks like a great feature and should replace the need for quite a bit of the 3rd party image stuff - vs say a bare metal restore in case of failure or in use of deployment options.

The question is will most users ever do such a thing, and be surprised and or blame MS when they do a refresh and their 3rd party non metro apps are gone.

Nice link - yup that looks like a great feature and should replace the need for quite a bit of the 3rd party image stuff - vs say a bare metal restore in case of failure or in use of deployment options.

The question is will most users ever do such a thing, and be surprised and or blame MS when they do a refresh and their 3rd party non metro apps are gone.

I am trying it right now just to see how well it works.