Photo

Clean install with Windows 8 Upgrade version ?

win8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pellumb Hasani

Pellumb Hasani

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:00

I already own Windows 7, and want to switch to Windows 8. But i want to format my PC and do a clean install of W8. Can i do a clean install with this $40 version of it, from this page , or is this just for upgrade and i should buy another more expensive one ? Thanks.

#2 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:14

As long as you start the upgrade from inside Windows 7, the Windows 8 setup will ask you if you want to wipe the drive clean before the install

So yes, it will work fine, but you have to run the upgrade option from windows 7 first

#3 stockwiz

stockwiz

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 20:37

for me I'm able to install using the key seemingly irregardless of what operating system I'm using. Upgraded from the windows 8 developer preview to windows 8 pro, did a clean install and it worked using the 'upgrade' key. I did not start the upgrade from inside windows 7, I booted up the flash drive from the bios and there was no issue.

It's worth noting that I installed using the 64 bit MSDN version I downloaded off a torrent though, (MD5 hash checker says it's 0e8f2199fae18fe510c23426e68f675a) I don't know what you get when you download it using their upgrade assistant.

You can also upgrade to pro for $15 if you want, microsoft is accepting applications without requiring a windows 7 product key (which I had anyways) ... all you have to do is tell them you bought the PC after June of 2012.

So I've bought 2 keys for 40 bucks and one key for 15 bucks. I would only buy one $15 key per household but people on the deals sites do leech it for all it's worth, it's their way.