Windows 8 sales dissapointing

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#166 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 23:58

Well the good news is that Windows 9 will hit the stores much sooner than usual if Windows 8 is a failure.

I figure people will slowly start to learn Windows 8 and many will like it. People don't like change and Windows 8 is a big change.

#167 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,871 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 20 November 2012 - 00:01

Windows 7 was also priced at $50 initially. Windows 8 is priced at $40. I don't see any major change?

How is switching apps in iOS any more obvious than Windows 8? :/ Many iPad owners (I know) don't even know how to switch between apps, they just drop back to home screen and go from there.
None of the following operations are "obvious" in iOS compared to Windows 8
- Switch apps
- Close running apps
- Uninstall apps
- Re-arrange apps
- Orientation lock (AFAIK is impossible in default iOS config)

nope it's there in iOS, it's done in the same place that you "close" running apps

the close running apps, is the only thing you can't actually do without jailbreaking from that list.
all that list is (when you double tap the home button) is the recent app list, it doesn't actually allow you to close apps

#168 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

• 1,457 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 00:30

Microsoft Still in Denial
http://channel9.msdn...dc6a10b014cbe1e

..." indeed. Instead of fixing, they are playing the blame game. Countless of knowledgeable people (Windows experts and developers, not the usual anti-MS brigade) hammered them in the past twelve months about the very obvious issues with Windows 8, yet Redmond acted as if the whole town went through a self-hypnosis course. "La la, can't hear you!".
If the shock over the Windows 8 sales is indeed real and unexpected at MS HQ, then I am truly shocked." - wastingtimew​ithforums

..." It's a floor wax. No, it's a dessert topping. Microsoft's new whatever-the-F-it-is operating system is a confusing, Frankenstein's monster mix of old and new that hides a great desktop upgrade under a crazy Metro front-end. It's touch-first, as Microsoft says, but really it's touch whether you want it or not (or have it or not), and the firm's inability to give its own customers the choice to pick which UI they want is what really makes Windows 8 confounding to users. " - Paul Thurrott

..."

#169 trek

trek

Neowinian Senior

• 2,952 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 00:37

^ Can't believe I actually agree with Thurrott this time.

#170 Frankenberrie

Frankenberrie

Neowinian

• 43 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 00:39

At first W8 seems very overwelming for mouse/keyboard users. I myself was like... wth is this crap but after playing with it for a little it grew on me. Plus.... using the Start8 modifation has made W8 a keeper with me. I have noticed a few portable apps I use with W7 dont run correctly but thats normal for a new OS (some apps not working correctly). Just my opinion, if you dont like W8 stay with Seven and stop complaining... Happy Holidays!!!

#171 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 00:53

Just my opinion, if you dont like W8 stay with Seven and stop complaining... Happy Holidays!!!

Just my opinion, if you do like W8, keep away from Seven and stop complaining about us complaining... Happy Holidays!!!

#172 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,855 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:00

nope it's there in iOS, it's done in the same place that you "close" running apps

the close running apps, is the only thing you can't actually do without jailbreaking from that list.
all that list is (when you double tap the home button) is the recent app list, it doesn't actually allow you to close apps

You can close running apps by tap-holding. obvious, right? :p

#173 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 12,162 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:09

Though, a little off topic, has anyone noticed the 3 biggest names in computing are all called Steven? Or a variation of?
Steve Jobs... Apple, when iProduts were at the most innovating (If I spelled that correctly)
Steven or Stephen Sinofsky... Formerly of Microsoft. Responsible for win8.
Steven Hawkins... Professor, (I beleive he had contributed in the development of his chair, tho I could be mistaken)

#174 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:09

Microsoft's biggest mistake was doing away with the start menu and not giving desktop users the choice of which they would rather use, Metro or Desktop. Fix that and Windows 8 would take off overnight.

#175 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,744 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:23

Microsoft's biggest mistake was doing away with the start menu and not giving desktop users the choice of which they would rather use, Metro or Desktop. Fix that and Windows 8 would take off overnight.

What if I want both? I love having my desktop. I also love having an attractive Start screen to look at, and interactive Metro apps to use.

Plus, Microsoft is making a clean - clean - break from their old image. They spent the past two year re-inventing themselves, Windows 8 is setting the base of future Windows releases, much like Windows 95 did.

#176 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:33

Im shocked too. he was the biggest fan boy of windows phone, and windows metro, now he seems to hate it ha.
weird how that flopped on him. I actually quit listening to the podcasts for a while because i got sick of the fanboyism bs, now he seems back.

Why be shocked? He does this on a regular basis. He gets denied access to something he wants, and then he flips out on MS. This is a day that ends in y for PT.

#177 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:43

What if I want both? I love having my desktop. I also love having an attractive Start screen to look at, and interactive Metro apps to use.

I have both with Start8. Microsoft could have done even better if they had tried.

Plus, Microsoft is making a clean - clean - break from their old image. They spent the past two year re-inventing themselves, Windows 8 is setting the base of future Windows releases, much like Windows 95 did.

Yeah, I know. I hope other people catch the fever like they did with Windows 95, but somehow I'm doubting it.

#178 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,871 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:46

You can close running apps by tap-holding. obvious, right? :p

nope that only removes it from the recent apps list, it doesn't actually close it

#179 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,744 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:49

I have both with Start8. Microsoft could have done even better if they had tried.

So, in order to get to Metro Start, I'd have to go through another Start Menu? Yeah, that's a disaster in the waiting. I shouldn't have to click Start > Start > app.

#180 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,871 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:51

So, in order to get to Metro Start, I'd have to go through another Start Menu? Yeah, that's a disaster in the waiting.

wrong, there are plenty of configurable options with Start8 now
you can have both the button work and the hot corner work both taking you to their respectable places
you can also set the windows key on the keyboard take you to the start menu with a single press and start screen with a longer press
you can also with your keyboard set the left windows key to the start menu and the right windows key to the start screen

there are many other options as well