win8

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:10

So you are not a Windows user then? You are using Linux or another operating system instead of Windows?

At home I've been using a Macbook Pro for about 4 or 5 years. At work we're still using Windows XP, although we are in the stages of migrating to Windows 7. With the exception of about 2 months last year, I've only really used Linux (Ubuntu) for troubleshooting computer problems.

#47 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 22 November 2012 - 13:32

Anyone else here remember the hate the "superbar" got for "being too large"?

http://www.istarteds...-super-taskbar/

Some were ready to consider Windows 7 a failure on that alone...

#48 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 19:51

Huh...I just typed gpedit.msc on the start screen and oh look. group policy editor loads...

Amazing how when you do something differently it works differently, but when you do it the same it works...funny that...

And, you can Runbox using the same keyboard shortcut that dates back to (believe it or not) NT 3.x/Windows 3.x - Windows key + R.

We keep forgetting that the Windows logo key predates even Windows 9x - the original Microsoft Natural Keyboard dates back to *Windows for Workgroups*. However, it was so pricey that it was outsold by its many clones - ergonomic and non - until the arrival of the Natural Keyboard Elite in 1997. Despite my actually purchasing an OEM version of the Natural Keyboard Elite that year, I didn't really leverage the Windows logo key until I took to Runboxing with a vengeance with Windows 2000 Professional - in the enterprise setting.

#49 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 November 2012 - 21:41

And, you can Runbox using the same keyboard shortcut that dates back to (believe it or not) NT 3.x/Windows 3.x - Windows key + R.

We keep forgetting that the Windows logo key predates even Windows 9x - the original Microsoft Natural Keyboard dates back to *Windows for Workgroups*. However, it was so pricey that it was outsold by its many clones - ergonomic and non - until the arrival of the Natural Keyboard Elite in 1997. Despite my actually purchasing an OEM version of the Natural Keyboard Elite that year, I didn't really leverage the Windows logo key until I took to Runboxing with a vengeance with Windows 2000 Professional - in the enterprise setting.

Yup, which is part of why I keep telling folks that everything works pretty much like it did before. Not much has really changed other than the looks, and adding in options for ways to do things.

#50 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:54

I liked XP from day 1, I liked 7 from day 1 (still on Vista, I need a bit of free time to upgrade). I hated 8 since I saw the new interface for the first time.

#51 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:22

False, i love both

Yep, false.

Windows XP and 7 were both killer right out of the box. Vista and Windows 8 are different stories though. Windows 8 isn't THAT bad, but doesn't blow my hair back enough to switch to it.