Windows 8 System Lock Screen Background

win8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:28

Hi,

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding changing the lock screen background in Windows 8 for when no user is signed in?
Currently it's defaulting to the cartoon city background and only changes to mine after I log in. Same applies to Windows 8 if you are in a multiuser/domain environment but there appears to be no way to customise it by default in the Windows GUI.

Technically the same situation applies to Server 2012 but that has a less eye offending light grey solid colour for a background.

Google is not producing anything meaningful at time of searching.

#2 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:57

GPO?

#3 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 23 November 2012 - 22:59

I want to know this as well.

#4 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:36

http://www.neowin.ne...#entry595279693

#5 nyolc8

nyolc8

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 520

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:58

Here's how I changed it on the first day when RTM came out in august:
  • You need to go here: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z" (you'll need to make yourself owner and make full access permissions to all subfolders to access this folder)
  • You'll find there a file called "LockScreen___RESX_RESY_notdimmed.jpg" image. (RESX is you horizontal resolution, RESY is your vertical resolution.) (little extra info: when RTM came out, the "notdimmed" word was not in the filename, some windows update made that there.)
  • You need to set yourself owner and full access permission on this file too, then rename it to "LockScreen___RESX_RESY_notdimmed.jpg.bak"
  • Then you'll need an image which has the same resolution as your screen resolution. Rename your image to "LockScreen___RESX_RESY_notdimmed.jpg" (RESX is you horizontal resolution, RESY is your vertical resolution.) and copy it to this folder.
  • Then you need to set at least "read" permission for "System" user for this new image file.
  • You are done!
(Once I needed to redone this, after that "notdimmed" windowsupdate came out, but other than that it works perfectly.)