Windows 8 Sales are actually Amazing - 40 million sold

Tap or click....like it is in other places like the Help documents.

If they start catering to all scenarios we will end up like this,

- Tap or click here to open or launch the CD or DVD or BD

- Shut down or power off or turn off PC

- There are other programs or apps or applications to open this file or document type or kind

:rofl:

Hmm, explorer jump list on the Superbar.... Or just open explorer and they're all there on the left side ...

I'm talking about the actual directory. The same one you could access before by clicking start and clicking your profile name in the top right. I use this directory a lot when transferring peoples profile data from their old machine to their new one.

Don't forget navigating to the users main profile directory with contacts, favorites and such!.

Something must be wrong with your installation. It took me longer the first time but then I just pinned it to Explorer icon.

Something must be wrong with your installation. It took me longer the first time but then I just pinned it to Explorer icon.

Don't you see a pattern? What use to be at our finger tips before in 7 is now gone in 8 making users have to keep pinning stuff to get functionality back.

• Like 1

Stuff that normal users don't use and never go to takes longer... I'm sure the one extra second it takes you to open the jump list which is faster no less clicks than the start menu anyway, is terrible.

I also believe that the power menu has links to the profile folder.

I can't believe this thread is still going.. how do people have so much time to hate something they apparently will never use?

I'm not a fan but I keep it in a VM. Maybe others are too?

Don't you see a pattern? What use to be at our finger tips before in 7 is now gone in 8 making users have to keep pinning stuff to get functionality back.

No. What are you missing in the user folder that you can't get out of clicking into Libraries (the default Explorer startup location)?

There you go questioning a procedure you apparently have never done before. Pretty standard. He's doing a profile migration so he wants all the profile data, not just the four library linked ones. Not insurmountable, but it doesn't fit with your zany 'nothing changed' narrative either.

Appealing to only a single measure (clicks) with no regard for travel, isn't really a good yardstick to begin with. Nor does chrome-less design fit with the mouse in general. Chrome largely exists because of mice (as on-screen cursors generally assume a visual target area, you click on things)

The kicker is that because of the bad implementation of Charms on the desktop, its effecting touch app developers. ESPN is so assured that you won't find the Share charm (something trivial on Surface) that its added a large button to the main app screen, not hidden away for users to forget about behind an arcane gesture.

As a point of concession though, you have to admit that having show hidden on the ribbon is a nice step forward warwagon.

Profile folder should be on the Power Menu, but is not. If the power menu actually lived up to its namesake, it would be customizable as well.

As a point of concession though, you have to admit that having show hidden on the ribbon is a nice step forward warwagon.

Indeed. As is the new file copy dialog box where it stacks the different file transfers while also giving you the ability to pause them. I LOVE that!

Oh hey look, Microsoft is actually INCREASING production of the Surface and Staples will be selling them as of Dec 12th (and launching at more retailers shortly)

BTW, I hope Barns and Noble carries them, I think that would be great synergy there.

Naysayers wrong.. AGAIN

Thats true, I wasn't clear on that Hawk. I guess what i meant to say is that while you can customize what shortcuts it displays, they will always just be shortcuts without any contextual abilities, and more work than just pinning a location to favorites to begin with.

Always pinned my profile folder to WinEx since 7 beta :) no big change for me in 8 ;)

See, I'm really hoping it will take off in the consumer space. It has a decent shot at it, even with the blemishes and bed wetting. The sooner that happens my RT can lose the Desktop and my Desktop can 'layer' on RT.

Anyone remember this thread I created back in Aug?

How Pro Windows 8 users want Anti Windows 8 users to use Windows 8

http://www.neowin.ne...-use-windows-8/

The main comment in that thread was "people don't say that".....

If that was directed at me, you do realize that I was talking about pinning folder(s) which takes no more space than a WinExplorer icon does by default?

If that was directed at me, you do realize that I was talking about pinning folder(s) which takes no more space than a WinExplorer icon does by default?

actually it was directed to everyone :pinch:

Paranoid?...what already? lol

No. It's OK, we will all let you all know when that happens ;)

For the millionth time, we are talking about a desktop version of the operating system. Why does Microsoft NEED.....I repeat, absolutely NEED to change or else they will fail? Last I checked OS X still had the Dock and the basic functionality remains the same. They did things the right way by making Launchpad optional.

Perfect example! launchpad is there, it doesn't bother me at all, it's not in my face when I boot my machine, it's ugly but doesn't hurt my eyes, completely optional, this is how "metro" should have been.

Perfect example! launchpad is there, it doesn't bother me at all, it's not in my face when I boot my machine, it's ugly but doesn't hurt my eyes, completely optional, this is how "metro" should have been.

Defeats the purpose of live tiles, don't you think? Metro and Apple's LaunchPad are two different concepts.

or Android for that matter. If you live outside the US, in most markets majority phones are Android. [snip]

Or Symbian. You wouldn't believe how many of those still exist.

Thanks for proving my point PG, but don't let that stop you from off topic ramblings and any other LOUD NOISES you wish to make.

I've forseen the need for a touch abilities on the server for several years now (and lambasted Apple for ignoring that part of the equasion). Its cute you think that would bother me though. Almost as cute as tablet 'servers'.

Dashel, I was NOT targeting you (or any Neowinian in particular) with that comment.

My comment was aimed at those that insist on things not changing.

The point I have been trying to make is that change - whether good OR bad - is inevitable, inexorable, and more certain than bribable politicians.

It's also why I went into how I came to PCs originally - they weren't my original stop.

Pretty much my whole working life has been a series of *plan B* events.

That's the real difference between the detractors and everyone else (from what I've seen) - the lack of a backup plan. (No - it's not specific to Windows 8 - it's not even IT-specific; the same sort of thing applies in fields as diverse as politics and education as well.)

Ah, OK PGHammer. I apologize. I take no issue with that. Change is my mantra as well. For every IT type that is whittling away their last few years till retirement or desktop support techs that got lazy on WinXP or what not, I get the lack of change thing. The flipside of that is for every one of those now, there are the entry type gadget dorks/BYODs that suddenly think they can call themselves techs or IT because they're 'just little computers too'!

Plus, just because change is inevitable doesn't mean they have to like it or are prevented from trying to change its course. Its one thing to say we hear you but had to make a different decision because of x, y, z. To just say you're holding it wrong (or are too stupid to hold it to begin with) is the flashpoint.