Photo

Windows 8 Sales are actually Amazing - 40 million sold

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#121 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:19

That's half of it, but remember, Windows 7 was "forced" on people who bought new machines also. ;)

True, but you can't deny the enthusiasm towards Windows 7 was much greater than towards Windows 8
At least in desktop PC terms.

That said, I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about using Windows 7 on a tablet or touch device.

#122 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:34

I can't believe the number of people who are complaining about these sales figures when they are counted in exactly the same way as Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.

It's sold well, deal with it.

Certain people in here can't deal with it. Sucks to be them I guess :)

Doesn't matter if they use the exact same way of showing us these figures as they did with XP, Vista or 7
It's MS and if they can bash them they will. It's much cooler. Ask Boz

LOL!

or Android for that matter. If you live outside the US, in most markets majority phones are Android. People don't have much choice in smartphones.

Truth.

#123 Gio Takahashi

Gio Takahashi

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:11

This is definitely not an unfamiliar cycle we see in the first year a new Windows come out.

When XP came out: "Every geeks that know their crap wouldn't use XP" ...Now it was highly successful and widely used. Though one can blame the fact that there haven't been a new windows for 5+ years since XP.

When Vista came out: "Vista is a huge failure." Though I'll admit it's true for the most part. Eventually, as an OS it became much improved when driver compatibility finally caught up, and of course SP1.

When Windows 7 came out: "I'll stick with XP/Vista for now before I upgrade." "It's new windows, it'll suck like vista." And Windows 7 became one of the best thing since bread and butter.

So Windows 8 comes out, and it's the same old story. This is especially true whenever Microsoft makes a ballsy move and drastically changes the OS. Hater's gonna hate. Oh well.

#124 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:26

^ Microsoft should have learned by now not to make such drastic changes to their OS between versions and you wouldn't hear all of that. Gradual is the way to go.

#125 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:27

^ Microsoft should have learned by now not to make such drastic changes to their OS between versions and you wouldn't hear all of that. Gradual is the way to go.

Sure, but then the same people would start complaining that basically nothing changed and it's a lot of money for a 'Service Pack'

#126 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:39

Sure, but then the same people would start complaining that basically nothing changed and it's a lot of money for a 'Service Pack'

Not if they used Service Packs to bring real changes and not use them as glorified bug fixes.

#127 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 December 2012 - 14:36

Not if they used Service Packs to bring real changes and not use them as glorified bug fixes.

Do you know *why* Service Packs are all about bug fixes?

Because the first two times Microsoft added major features via a Service Pack (Windows NT Service Pack 4 and Windows 95's first Service Pack), the protests were long AND loud over it - in fact, Microsoft was accused by all and sundry of massive over-reach, and especially with NT Service Pack 4. It would be a LONG time after that before Microsoft would add major features via a Service Pack entirely BECAUSE of that hullabaloo.

#128 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:53

^ I know, but times have changed now. XP SP2 brought good changes and people were receptive to it.

#129 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 21

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:26

^ I know, but times have changed now. XP SP2 brought good changes and people were receptive to it.

People hated it.

http://reviews.cnet....7-30992199.html

#130 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:31

Shh...don't bring in facts (which I've done before) as it won't be well received.

The next comment will be something along the lines of...well that was just a single source, most actually were very receptive.

You'll ask for a source, and they will instead get huffy and get ****ed off.

However since I've now posted that the next thing they'll do will be an attempt to ridicule me instead for having posted this...under the guise of hating me for being 'all-knowing' and such a 'braggart'.

However since I've posted that....well I'll let that response be a surprise. ;)

#131 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 21

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:17

I think we've come around in a fitting circle; back in the XP, Vista, and Windows 7 days, people were all about Docks, Samurize, and Rainmeter, and wrote little programs to remove the Start button.

http://www.trickyway...h-start-killer/

Now that the Start menu is gone and we've got Live tiles for real-time info, everyone's itching to get things back to the way they were because no one wants those sort of things.

#132 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:29

Well, I hate live tiles myself. Too much going on for me. I cut them off first thing.

#133 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:44

Well, I hate live tiles myself. Too much going on for me. I cut them off first thing.

Same here, gotta love Windows 7.

#134 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:09

Same here, gotta love Windows 7.

How does this have anything to do with live tiles? You can completely disable them in 8 and only have static icons for your desktop apps.

#135 Secular Humanist

Secular Humanist

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:28

i don't think you can judge this by how many are sold... for example, i bet gloves with 4 fingers and a thumb is the #1 seller at a glove store. when its basically your only choice, it will sell.