• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:25

For some reason, Windows automatic maintenance has been starting up today after my computer is idle for more than a few minutes. I notice that it's running when I'm watching a video, and the playback suddenly gets slow, and lo and behold there in the tray, Windows is running maintenance. This is despite the fact that I have it set to run at 1 AM each day. Is anyone else having the same issue in Windows 8? I don't have any viruses, or so that's what Defender says, but it keeps wanting to run for some reason.

#2 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:30

If maintenance tasks are causing the machine to suffer while processing video I would solve for that first.

I'm running a machine that's creeping up on 7 years old that can handle Blu-Ray, mkv, etc without so much as a noticeable pause when background tasks start.

In fact that's part of why they are called background tasks. :)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, have you checked task scheduler?

#3 OP +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:42

Well, the 'tasks' it's running is virus scanner, and it always seems to affect video playback. But actually, I noticed I had Adobe Acrobat running, and since I've closed the program, Windows maintenance has no longer attempted to start. Cooincidence? I don't know. Maybe. Task Scheduler shows no such tasks that were running during this time.

#4 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:32

Hmm...Adobe products. :(

They often seem to be the cause of things. Hopefully it behaves now. :)

#5 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

The Perfect Threesome: Lime, Salt & Tequila

• Phone: Jackson JS3 Kelly Bird IV through a Fender Rumble 150. Can ya hear me now?

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:02

Well, the 'tasks' it's running is virus scanner, and it always seems to affect video playback.

That could be more of a factor than Acrobat (or any other Adobe product), especially if you're trying to play a movie/video from a HDD and it's also trying to do a virus scan at the same time on it.