Question

Posted

For some reason, Windows automatic maintenance has been starting up today after my computer is idle for more than a few minutes. I notice that it's running when I'm watching a video, and the playback suddenly gets slow, and lo and behold there in the tray, Windows is running maintenance. This is despite the fact that I have it set to run at 1 AM each day. Is anyone else having the same issue in Windows 8? I don't have any viruses, or so that's what Defender says, but it keeps wanting to run for some reason.

4 answers to this question

Posted

If maintenance tasks are causing the machine to suffer while processing video I would solve for that first.

I'm running a machine that's creeping up on 7 years old that can handle Blu-Ray, mkv, etc without so much as a noticeable pause when background tasks start.

In fact that's part of why they are called background tasks. :)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, have you checked task scheduler?

Posted

Well, the 'tasks' it's running is virus scanner, and it always seems to affect video playback. But actually, I noticed I had Adobe Acrobat running, and since I've closed the program, Windows maintenance has no longer attempted to start. Cooincidence? I don't know. Maybe. Task Scheduler shows no such tasks that were running during this time.

Posted

Hmm...Adobe products. :(

They often seem to be the cause of things. Hopefully it behaves now. :)

Posted

[quote name='devHead' timestamp='1354772544' post='595371714']
Well, the 'tasks' it's running is virus scanner, and it always seems to affect video playback.[/quote]

That could be more of a factor than Acrobat (or any other Adobe product), especially if you're trying to play a movie/video from a HDD and it's also trying to do a virus scan at the same time on it.