iPad may beat the Surface - Thank you Microsoft

win8

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:26

Going to keep this brief.

Executives ramping pressure for iPad's and RDP for iPad after begin given Surfaces.

Syncing music and media between desktop, tablet, and phone, matters. Yes, even in business. Executives do this by the gigs, it's the only technical thing they can do and with the Apple products and iTunes it just works.

Microsoft has left us nothing, we lose. Even though RDP is far superior on Surface, and free.

Does anyone else get it. Am I the only one that sees that releasing Windows 8, Surface, Windows Phone 8, the dysfunctional Music App, and meaningless Windows Phone App, with no single media management hub for music, playlists, videos, ala iTunes is just a disaster?

I hate iPads in the enterprise, but, we lose.

#2 selphj

selphj

Neowinian

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:33

I'm not sure what business you are in, but that's not the case where I work. Most of the executives were given ipads as a perk, which largely doesn't get used because it's not functional for work. One even refused to take it. But the second Win8 tablets were announced, from the president on down demanded that IT get them one. Executives we support could care less about music, playlists, videos or itunes. They want to look at Word files, spreadsheets, the web, and outlook on the go.

#3 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:34

Yes. I think those of us who like Windows 8 recognize that the Metro side still doesn't have the software support it deserves. Understandable for 3rd parties, not understandable for Microsoft applications.

#4 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:37

I think a lot of people are just fixed on features they don't understand, we get a "half assed music app" because the surface is a computer not a tablet... you aren't syncing it, you are using it as a desktop... we are so used to the iTunes sync music model....

but then I work for a company that has a $50,000 polycom based video conference center that never gets used, and execs are like OMG Facetime is great! I can video chat with clients! *stares at the video conference center we built 3yrs ago* yeah, we had that a long time ago with a production set... to talk to clients and no one touched it....

#5 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:42

I don't know what the deal is with Microsoft lately and all the stupid changes they've been doing but I will tell you this:

I have an iPad 3 and an iMac and I like them both, however, I just got into a Galaxy Note 2 and I think the Google Music app is superior to Apple's alternative because, not only can I listen to my songs on my phone or any other Android device I have, but the simple fact that Google lets you upload up to 20,000 songs for free is amazing. Apple charges $24.99 I believe for iTunes match and Google's alternative is 100% free.

It's really a no brainer as to who gives you more and who has the better service. Microsoft on the other hand is behind in every aspect.

#6 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:42

I'm not sure what business you are in, but that's not the case where I work. Most of the executives were given ipads as a perk, which largely doesn't get used because it's not functional for work. One even refused to take it. But the second Win8 tablets were announced, from the president on down demanded that IT get them one. Executives we support could care less about music, playlists, videos or itunes. They want to look at Word files, spreadsheets, the web, and outlook on the go.

This. I work in an executive office of 50+ executives from a fortune 500 company. I do the IT support, and they view their iPad's as toys that aren't really work functional, but are fun while traveling. The office suite alone is enough to have them wanting to get the Surface devices.

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:44

You seem to have a beef with the Music app, but yet you provide no sources... Windows 8 is more than the music app. If you want to sync it, use a different method. There are plenty of other methods. The Surface is a stand alone computer, it's not a dependent device like an iPad.

#8 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:45

Executives ramping pressure for iPad's and RDP for iPad after begin given Surfaces.

Syncing music and media between desktop, tablet, and phone, matters. Yes, even in business. Executives do this by the gigs, it's the only technical thing they can do and with the Apple products and iTunes it just works.

Microsoft has left us nothing, we lose. Even though RDP is far superior on Surface, and free.

Does anyone else get it. Am I the only one that sees that releasing Windows 8, Surface, Windows Phone 8, the dysfunctional Music App, and meaningless Windows Phone App, with no single media management hub for music, playlists, videos, ala iTunes is just a disaster?

Its enterprise support is still **** poor, Surface might not be perfect without domain join but local group policy is there as is delegation of permissions for different jobs and powershell.

Id love to see RSAT and Domain join on RT but its already the strongest offering out there by far

#9 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:51

The Surface RT isn't even meant for the damn enterprise. That's what the PRO is for.

Jesus.

#10 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:55

The Surface RT isn't even meant for the damn enterprise. That's what the PRO is for.

Jesus.

You can't be serious ... but I think you are.

#11 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:55

Where can I get a surface pro with a decent battery life that isn't twice the thickness/weight of the RT version ?

#12 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:59

Isn't the fact that you can use pen input with Surface a big plus?

#13 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 06 December 2012 - 19:00

You seem to have a beef with the Music app, but yet you provide no sources... Windows 8 is more than the music app. If you want to sync it, use a different method. There are plenty of other methods. The Surface is a stand alone computer, it's not a dependent device like an iPad.

No kidding sync it using a different method, as if you have a choice. ::rolls eyes:: Windows Media Player works best btw, but that's besides the point. You simply don't get it. I'm living it, that's my source. Check my content if you want to know what "my" particular beef with its.

Understand this, IT only has so much say so with Execs. When you start talking different methods, well that's when that method becomes what they want. iPad, iTunes, and iPhone. Made for the Enterprise or not. I want Microsoft to improve, and quickly. But with so many evangelist sheep unwilling to constructively criticize blatant weaknesses or omissions, it's hopeless.

#14 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 19:03

You can't be serious ... but I think you are.

*sigh* Maybe you should do some research. The RT is meant for consumers. It's NOT designed for the enterprise in mind. Sure you can use one for business but you don't have full enterprise support (domain add, remote management, etc).
:rolleyes:

#15 OP MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 06 December 2012 - 19:06

Isn't the fact that you can use pen input with Surface a big plus?

Not really, not with executives. They actually want RDP. They've learned their limited apps on the desktop, and want to use that from home, and aren't interested in much else other than using their tablet for "away from office" productivity if you catch my drift. And that's where Surface just isn't up to Apple's standard.

Unfortunately, what executives want, everyone else wants to mimic.

I do believe when Surface Pro is available it will do very well as a laptop alternative. But will do nothing to slow iPad penetration. At least not with upper management.