Shooting at mall in Portland

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#16 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:02

This happens every Christmas, doesn't it?

#17 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 12 December 2012 - 15:01

based on deep-rooted opinions and feeling, so why even bother arguing about it, and falling out with each other.

Perhaps not based on opinions and feeling.

#18 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,228 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 15:05

Just another reason to arm the citizens. Let's see what a crazy who want to shoot up a mall thinks when he sees 10 guns pointed back at him.

He wont care i can tell you that.

#19 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,198 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 15:59

Just another reason to arm the citizens. Let's see what a crazy who want to shoot up a mall thinks when he sees 10 guns pointed back at him.

I am pretty sure they are prepared to die anyway so the threat of getting shot isn't going to be a deterrent, they will just get bigger better weapons to do max damage, and just because someone has a gun "for protection" does not mean they will be prepared to fire it, even if they did then there is no telling how good a shot they are.

#20 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 5,083 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:03

I am pretty sure they are prepared to die anyway so the threat of getting shot isn't going to be a deterrent, they will just get bigger better weapons to do max damage, and just because someone has a gun "for protection" does not mean they will be prepared to fire it, even if they did then there is no telling how good a shot they are.

All your points are right and I think that a tactical shooting course similar to swat team members should be required of conceal carry holders.

#21 BGM

BGM

Wibble Wobble™

• 6,014 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:14

My sister was in that mall. She carries a handgun, but had taken it off of her because handguns are banned in the mall.....That said, I was in Lloyd Center mall up he road that day and had as usual removed my gun when entering the mall. I had almost gone shopping with them I was almost in Clackamas mall with them and I wouldn't of had my gun on me. That changes now, I am buying an in pants holster so I can carry in more places with less people noticing. I wont stand by and let something happen if Im around and I am sure I have the courage after the introspection form what happened to me a few years ago as many of you might remember.

oh my god.. when will you people get it!?

the way to stop this **** is to NOT allow people to carry guns.. urgh

#22 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 5,083 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:17

I would agree with you if you actually had a feasible way to remove guns from America. Most households owns gun and their everywhere. But we don't have that method and so its a necessary evil for America.

#23 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:23

You're more likely to get hit by lightning than shot by a stranger, yet no one contemplates carrying lighting rods with them everywhere they go.

Given the rate of accidental shooting / deaths, if you're looking to minimize risk, you're much better off not owning a gun.

#24 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,006 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:24

they won't, they love the gun as part of their being.

#25 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 5,083 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:25

they won't, they love the gun as part of their being.

Your right about most, and we have some on here like that, but then we also have people like me who don't love guns, but own one and carry, but would get rid of it the instant they lived in a society not saturated with firepower.

#26 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,006 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:41

Your right about most, and we have some on here like that, but then we also have people like me who don't love guns, but own one and carry, but would get rid of it the instant they lived in a society not saturated with firepower.

you are exactly the kind of person who is OK to own a gun since you are not obsessed with it. Every gun owner should think like you.

#27 psreloaded

psreloaded

Neowinian

• 846 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:47

Does keeping a gun not require a license in the US! Its a bad idea to allow anybody and everybody to have a gun.

#28 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:20

Does keeping a gun not require a license in the US! Its a bad idea to allow anybody and everybody to have a gun.

You will need a license. But the problem is that it's very easy to obtain guns in the USA for everyone.

#29 NateB1

NateB1

Neowinian Senior

• 1,667 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:34

From what I'm hearing ( I live in OR and am listening to the press conference right now), the gun was stolen, in which case, a license is irrelevant. Criminals will find ways to get guns, and having gun-free zones is an open invitation to open fire, since the likelihood of someone carrying in an area like that is lower.

#30 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,228 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 20:02

Yeah but when people talk about gun "nuts" they don't talk about people like you. I doubt there's that much people against owning a gun to hunt or just because you like to fire at a practice stand. The people against that are as "nuts" as the gun "nuts" imo.

I'm vocal here about my disagreement with using a gun to protect yoursefl from an un-armed person when this is a one on one situation (criminal or not i don't care).

But you see my dad owns 5 guns. So i lived in a house with guns a good part of my life. My dad owns 2 shotguns and 3 riffles (all legally owned and registered). One of those riffle is made to kill big reindeer and moose from a long distance using a scope. It's definately lethal to human being ;) When i was young i used my dad small .22 riffle here and there to practice shooting at target.

Even if i don't understand why anyone would want to carry a gun i don't live in a city with a high crime rate. In fact Quebec City crime rate is so low than a couple of years ago we had a complete year without a single murder on the territory.

What i don't understand though is how can a father accidentally shot his own kid while leaving a market. I don't understand also why would anyone train his kid to fire using a battle riffle. And finally i don't understand why would anyone shot at nother living being (criminal or not) unless his life is in immediate, without any doubt, danger (and i don't personally consider being beat by an un-armed teen is a danger to an adult specially when the cops are on their way).

It's hard for a Canadian to understand all that cause here while a lot of people own guns 99.99% of the gun owners keep them un-loaded at any time except when ready to be used. They also for the most part keep them locked.

I grew up in a house with 5 guns. But those 5 guns were always behind a locked door and always unloaded except when ready to be used to hunt or practice on target. They were always used carefully with the respect a gun should inspire.

My condolences to the family of the people killed.