• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 26 December 2012 - 21:19

Hey all,
I just installed Windows 8 on my new ssd which is my C drive. My old drive, D Drive, had Win7 on it and all my files, so I moved all my files to the root of the drive and deleted all the Windows and Programs junk from the D drive.

I have issues with permissions now. I download all my exes to the D drive and when I run them, they always popup with permission issues when trying to add something to the start menu loction in Program Data on my C drive. I have to go in and add the folder myself and give all permissions to "Everyone" This seems dangerous and unessacary. What can I do?

Also, I installed File Shredder on my C drive, and I'm trying to shred stuff on my D Drive when right clicking on the file it says "Some files cant be shredded bcause its in use or you dont have the required privileges." And it's not in use.

:(
Please help

#2 OP thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:14

Ideas?

#3 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 14:26

It cam from a different OS, so the SID for the permissions on that drive are different. Overwrite them from the root of the drive with your new permissions.

#4 Vinny4

Vinny4

Neowinian

• OS: Win8Pro-PC / Win7Ent-EdgeE220s / SurfaceRT / Nexus 7 / BB Playbook
  • Phone: iPhone4 (work) / HTC 8X 16GB (personal)

Posted 27 December 2012 - 15:25

Try taking ownership of the folder and make sure you populate your changes to all child objects of the folder in question, then set your permissions accordingly.

#5 OP thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 December 2012 - 19:54

It cam from a different OS, so the SID for the permissions on that drive are different. Overwrite them from the root of the drive with your new permissions.

Which permissions do I need to set? I'm not famililar with them, and I don't want to cause any security issues.

Try taking ownership of the folder and make sure you populate your changes to all child objects of the folder in question, then set your permissions accordingly.

I did. I got that little right click, take ownership thing, but it didnt work :/

#6 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 December 2012 - 20:04

Right click drive, properties > Security tab > Advanced > Owner > Edit > Tick replace owner on subcontainers and objects > click your username >okay... okay out of them all and hopefully that should sort your problem.

PS thats Windows 7 - I'm guessing Windows 8 is similar

#7 OP thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 December 2012 - 19:31

Right click drive, properties > Security tab > Advanced > Owner > Edit > Tick replace owner on subcontainers and objects > click your username >okay... okay out of them all and hopefully that should sort your problem.

It didn't work :(

#8 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 22:01

At your own risk you can try resetting the permissions for your D: drive:

At an administrator CMD prompt enter the following:
D:
icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

#9 OP thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:50

At your own risk you can try resetting the permissions for your D: drive:

At an administrator CMD prompt enter the following:

D:
icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

What is the risk?

#10 Vinny4

Vinny4

Neowinian

• OS: Win8Pro-PC / Win7Ent-EdgeE220s / SurfaceRT / Nexus 7 / BB Playbook
  • Phone: iPhone4 (work) / HTC 8X 16GB (personal)

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:06

Okay what about starting at the D drive itself? right click the D drive and then try to take ownership on the entire drive and then set your permissions, also don't forget to replace owner and permissions on all sub containers and objects

#11 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:11

With that option, on mine I can select... Administrators or my own username. Would I have to select my username, or could I select Administrators?
Just cuz personally I notice by default, on anything I check permissions on, it has Administrators, , SYSTEM, and Users. If I don't have to have my username in there, Id prefer not to. I am the administrator.

#12 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:27

Administrators should work too, if you are one.

#13 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 29 December 2012 - 15:44

What is the risk?

Just does a permissions reset but should not be applied to the main OS drive. As long as you switch to D: first, it should be fine to use.
E.g.
C:\> D:
D:\> icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

#14 OP thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 December 2012 - 16:33

Just does a permissions reset but should not be applied to the main OS drive. As long as you switch to D: first, it should be fine to use.
E.g.

C:\> D:
D:\> icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

I tried, but the first file on the drive appears with the message access denied. Then more files follow, saying access denied. :(

#15 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 29 December 2012 - 16:39

I tried, but the first file on the drive appears with the message access denied. Then more files follow, saying access denied. :(

Use this to replace the "Take Ownership" right click menu
http://localhostr.co...FullControl.reg

Use it on the entire drives root of folders, once its finished, goto the drives/folders properties > security tab > add "Everyone" to the "Group or usernames" entry box and hit apply

Now goto the permissions box underneath and hit "Advanced" > Owner tab > Edit > make sure to check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox > "Other Users or Groups" button and enter "Everyone" into that

Wait for it to do its ownership/permissions things,

Ok out of all the windows and see how you get on there

You might find you need to repeat the above on more than just the drives root, sub-folder etc, takes a while to gain ownership back from a previous OS but its possible