win8

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:07

Hi

I suffer from a bit of RSI, years spent on the internet have caught up with me. Its never been a huge because I changed the way I was sitting and got a better mouse.

Ive had Windows 8 installed since Christmas day and Im getting a little concerned about the amount of mouse movement Im having to do, I wondered if anyone had noticed it as well?

The main issue is closing the new metro apps, dragging them down the screen requires quite a bit of pull back on my shoulder and so does locating the smaller items on the start page as I have to move over to the corner etc.

I don't want to install a start menu replacement as Im liking a lot of the new start page, it just seems the apps and other bits are designed to only let you do one basic task, anything else requires much more mouse movement.

Any ideas how I can get around this? My shoulder is aching today.

#2 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:14

Is there any particular reason that you're closing Metro apps instead of just letting them idle?

#3 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:16

I haven't used Windows 8 for a long time now, but wouldn't the escape key or pressing Alt+F4 do the trick? I know in the past I was told that Windows 8 was easy if you used the keyboard shortcuts, so surely they haven't removed the original ones?

#4 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:25

why are u moving your shoulder? and not just ur fingers on the mouse? i havent noticed any extra movment s at all with my mouse, maybe turn your mouse sensativity up? use alt+f4?

#5 Buendia

Buendia

Neowinian

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:26

Try this:

http://winaero.com/c...omment.news.101

#6 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:42

As someone touched on earlier, you don't have to close them, they will sleep/close on their own after not being used for awhile. Just hit the start button to go back.

#7 RatherLargeBear

RatherLargeBear

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 27 December 2012 - 13:48

If you have to move your whole arm and shoulder when using your mouse, you are doing it wrong. What dpi is the mouse?
Try turning up the acceleration of the cursor speed.

#8 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 December 2012 - 15:17

Do to the RSI affecting my wrist I had to start using a 3M mouse:

Posted Image

I didn't actually think about leaving the apps open, I do on my phone but am used to closing applications down on the PC - I will try leaving them open from now on.

Try this:

http://winaero.com/c...omment.news.101

Thanks, it looks interesting but I didn't want to use third party apps - Im hopeful that I might be able to tweak something within windows to make it easier.

#9 Buendia

Buendia

Neowinian

Posted 27 December 2012 - 16:52

It is a tweak:

"Set sliders to left, and it will be not nessesary to drag Metro apllication to the bottom edge of the screen! After you click on "Save settings" button Windows Explorer will be restarted and you will able to close Metro application near the top edge of the screen."

This app does not have to be running in order for this tweak to work.

#10 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 December 2012 - 17:05

It is a tweak:

"Set sliders to left, and it will be not nessesary to drag Metro apllication to the bottom edge of the screen! After you click on "Save settings" button Windows Explorer will be restarted and you will able to close Metro application near the top edge of the screen."

This app does not have to be running in order for this tweak to work.

I appreciate that, and the time you rook to follow up. What worries me is when you start messing with Windows in that sort of way then other things can go wrong.
Im wondering if I might be able to find this tweak in the registry myself, at least then i can reset it if it affects something else.

#11 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 December 2012 - 17:28

What about keyboard shortcuts? Alt f4 to close apps, win z for the app bar, etc.

#12 OP Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:54

What about keyboard shortcuts? Alt f4 to close apps, win z for the app bar, etc.

I think thats the way I will probably go - I hope they address some of this in Blue.

#13 jesseinsf

jesseinsf

Windows 7/8.1 Support Guru

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:20

Hi

I suffer from a bit of RSI, years spent on the internet have caught up with me. Its never been a huge because I changed the way I was sitting and got a better mouse.

Ive had Windows 8 installed since Christmas day and Im getting a little concerned about the amount of mouse movement Im having to do, I wondered if anyone had noticed it as well?

The main issue is closing the new metro apps, dragging them down the screen requires quite a bit of pull back on my shoulder and so does locating the smaller items on the start page as I have to move over to the corner etc.

I don't want to install a start menu replacement as Im liking a lot of the new start page, it just seems the apps and other bits are designed to only let you do one basic task, anything else requires much more mouse movement.

Any ideas how I can get around this? My shoulder is aching today.

Bring your mouse to the top left of the screen and drag (not click and drag) the mouse about an inch along the left side of the screen. There you will see all open apps. Just right click an app and choose close. The downside is that you can only close one app at a time. Hope this helps :-)

#14 Arkose

Arkose

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:47

Bring your mouse to the top left of the screen and drag (not click and drag) the mouse about an inch along the left side of the screen. There you will see all open apps. Just right click an app and choose close. The downside is that you can only close one app at a time. Hope this helps :-)

You can use the middle button to immediately close apps on that list. :)