• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:35

Just saw this /. article thought some people might be interested. http://tech.slashdot...ular-than-vista

"Windows 8 uptake has slipped behind Vista's at the same point after its release. Windows 8 online usage share is around 1.6% of all Windows PCs, which is less than the 2.2% share that Windows Vista commanded at the same two-month mark after release. Net Applications monitors operating system usage by recording OS version for around 40,000 sites it monitors for clients. The slowdown for Windows 8 adoption is a bad sign for Microsoft, who experienced great success with the release of Windows 7. Data was measured up to the 22nd of December, so there is still time by the end of the month for Windows 8 to claim a higher percentage of the user base."

#2 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:37

this has been posted already.

and no this data doesnt mean its less popular,it shows the percentage of windows 8 users is less than it was with vista,but there could be twice the amount of users,so there could be more windows 8 users than even windows 7 had. thats whats wrong with this kind of data,its misleading.

windows 8 also has apps,so people using the apps instead of the sites,like netflix,wont show up on netapplications data, so again, this information is incomplete and very misleading.

#3 OP f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:43

this has been posted already.

and no this data doesnt mean its less popular,it shows the percentage of windows 8 users is less than it was with vista,but there could be twice the amount of users,so there could be more windows 8 users than even windows 7 had. thats whats wrong with this kind of data,its misleading.

Where has this been written about? The source article was written 12-30-12.

#4 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:50

,it shows the percentage of windows 8 users is less than it was with vista,but there could be twice the amount of users

? That sentence contradicts itself

#5 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:50

Where has this been written about? The source article was written 12-30-12.

there was a thread already on here

http://www.neowin.ne...maligned-vista/

#6 trek

trek

7 / X

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:51

NetApps was the source for the previous thread.

http://www.neowin.ne...maligned-vista/

I'm running away now before the 8 zealots find this and repeat the debate yet again.

#7 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:54

? That sentence contradicts itself

vista had a higher percentage but of less users. for example. vista had %2.2 of 500 million users,and windows 8 had 1.6% of 1.5 billion users. Windows 8 would actually have more users than vista had, but the percentage thing makes it seem like windows 8 isn't doing as well as vista did.

But some sites insist on using dirty data,instead of using real actual facts(40 million windows 8 copies sold in one month).

#8 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Lenovo A820

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:57

I'm running away now before the 8 zealots find this and repeat the debate yet again.

+1

My thought's when I saw this thread: "Oh no, not again!"

#9 theMike

theMike

the other Mike

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:03

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of xxxxx relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."

reminds me of all the "I'm more righter than you are" people

#10 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:09

vista had a higher percentage but of less users. for example. vista had %2.2 of 500 million users,and windows 8 had 1.6% of 1.5 billion users. Windows 8 would actually have more users than vista had, but the percentage thing makes it seem like windows 8 isn't doing as well as vista did.

But some sites insist on using dirty data,instead of using real actual facts(40 million windows 8 copies sold in one month).

Ah I see, yea data should be compared genuinely

#11 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:19

Again? Didn't we just fight this battle awhile ago? Win7, Win8, doesn't matter anymore. We're living a new Apocalypse. FLDS says the Apocalypse will be caused by the never-ending fight of Win7 vs. Win8 vs. WinVista.

#12 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:31

actually when figuring out the popularity of somethign like this.. I'd take the percentage. The raw numbers could mean that more people have PCs today or that there are simply more people alive.

#13 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:33

no this data doesnt mean its less popular,it shows the percentage of windows 8 users is less than it was with vista,but there could be twice the amount of users,so there could be more windows 8 users than even windows 7 had.

Yeah. Just like Windows overall has steadily lost marketshare over the past few years, yet it's more popular than ever.

#14 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:34

Again? Didn't we just fight this battle awhile ago? Win7, Win8, doesn't matter anymore. We're living a new Apocalypse. FLDS says the Apocalypse will be caused by the never-ending fight of Win7 vs. Win8 vs. WinVista.

winvista was made obsolete by win7. No one argued the fact that 7 was better than vista.

Windows 8 at it's core is vastly superior to 7.. but it's a mess as far as it's default interface goes.

#15 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2013 - 21:56

winvista was made obsolete by win7. No one argued the fact that 7 was better than vista.

Windows 8 at it's core is vastly superior to 7.. but it's a mess as far as it's default interface goes.

Really now. I use Win8 and to me it's default interface is fine. It took me awhile to get used to it, but I did. Win7 was great. No argument there. But Win8 is great also.