Jurassic World (2015)

It's not really bad, the trailer looks uninteresting to me, but it just gives me a bad feeling. The first one was a great action adventure movie, and it was really movie magic, especially as a kid, to see all the dinosaurs come to life. Like, I really wonder how many kids were influenced by that movie to pursue science and paleontology. I remember collecting Jurassic Park cards, and each new dinosaur I got was beyond cool. This one just screams "easy cashgrab," and in the process of overusing effects and CGI, they've made it less believable than the first one, at least for me. It's like they're literally holding a piece of paper saying "Do you recognize this ######? Buy it!" with it, just like they do with about any Hollywood production these days. You could argue they're doing the same thing with the new Star Wars nowadays, but there for instance, the trailer invoked that sense of movie magic and wonder, like there was actual effort involved. Here, the nostalgia card plays cheap and dirty. Hence, raping my childhood.

But I'll save my judgement for after I see the movie. I know I get too cynical in these threads, but it's mostly due to people being overexcited with anything thrown their way I react that way, I don't really care and I don't view these movies as much more than entertainment.

Well, no one is forcing you to watch it. lol.

• Like 1

Trailers for this movie remind me of Deep Blue Sea. Scientists experiment with animals, animals turn out to be way smarter than the female lead scientist. Monsters go crazy and a male character saves the day. Throw in an annoying kid for that extra summer box office punch. Done.
:/
(I want this movie to be good but so far I am not sold)

Irrelevant content edited. 

Trailers for this movie remind me of Deep Blue Sea. Scientists experiment with animals, animals turn out to be way smarter than the female lead scientist. Monsters go crazy and a male character saves the day. Throw in an annoying kid for that extra summer box office punch. Done.

:/

(I want this movie to be good but so far I am not sold)

But you are still missing Mr. Samuel L Jackson. lol. 

Where's Hurmoth on his opinions on the raptors? :p

Not even sure what to say anymore :pinch:

Outside of this ridiculous storyline, I don't have a major problem with the rest of the story that we know. I'm not exactly thrilled by the hybrid superdino, but at least that is in the realm of reality. I simply don't believe we can house train raptors.

As a 90's child

As an 80s child, I have seen the franchises I grew up with manipulated into things that bear no resemblance to "my" versions - heck not even after major time gaps (He-Man/MOTU for example - that film wasn't long after the series and was just awkward).  It used to irk me but now... meh.

I treat these remakes as something completely different.  Transformers, for example - I loved the series as a child, I kinda liked Armada in my 20s, the films - well I approached them as something new, and so as such I found fault with the 1st as a standalone entity (poorly directed by hey - Bay) but felt in no way betrayed.

Actually scrap that.  The point I'm making (FOR ME) still stands, but I DO think Bay ######ed me over a little.  Why?  Because this wasn't originally sold as "something new".  I'd love to find it but can't - however the first "oh hey, also we're making a TF movie" announcement was made alongside a truck under a black tarp with the logo on the side.  What type of truck was it?  ORIGINAL Optimus Prime type.

Everything else is great except one major problem: trained raptors. :pinch:

At first, i was the same, but then it's not completely out of our doing, i mean we've domesticated a lot of viscous animals.

I also don;t think it's as simple as "We trained the Raptors", more like they have a respect for Pratt's character because he feeds them etc etc... at least i'm hoping that's it.

The point I'm making (FOR ME) still stands, but I DO think Bay ######ed me over a little.

You should feel that way. Bay is a poor director and those movies symbolize what is wrong with blockbuster movies today.

If Hollywood wants to make a movie about trained raptors, following a gimmicky actor who specializes in poorly delivered 1-liners, on a bike through the woods... Then so be it.

But to tag it as the Jurassic franchise is just a money-grab move. I, for one, have no respect for it.

(I will however give praise to the CGI team behind the Transformers films. Pretty cool stuff.)

• Like 1

Not sure how I feel about this.. was pretty excited to see it.. but after seeing the trailer.. it feels too... futuristic.  The original one still felt modern.. but it wasn't all futuristic.. and I think that in part is what made it really good.

• Like 1

Not sure how I feel about this.. was pretty excited to see it.. but after seeing the trailer.. it feels too... futuristic.  The original one still felt modern.. but it wasn't all futuristic.. and I think that in part is what made it really good.

Why go there with expectations? I always been a fan of dinosaurs. Just try to enjoy what it has to offer. 

Why go there with expectations?

I completely agree...

Except they are using the name, ideas and logos from the original movie.  As such, the baggage of expectations is implicit, as they are using that baggage to sell the film to an extent - there is a percentage of expected audience that has been factored in because of nostalgia.

• Like 1

Why go there with expectations? I always been a fan of dinosaurs. Just try to enjoy what it has to offer. 

Wasn't going in with ANY expectations... just saying what I thought of the trailer.  There could be a brand new movie that I don't think looks good.. 

Not even sure what to say anymore :pinch:

Outside of this ridiculous storyline, I don't have a major problem with the rest of the story that we know. I'm not exactly thrilled by the hybrid superdino, but at least that is in the realm of reality. I simply don't believe we can house train raptors.

And you know this from your extensive raptor experience?

You can train anything with decent mental ability with enough time and resources.

• Like 1

You can train anything with decent mental ability with enough time and resources.

Exactly, the Raptors are smart, that's their whole 'thing'. Smart animals know where their next meal is coming from and if the Raptors have deemed it easier to get their food by being given it rather than hunting it, then that's logical, i mean many real world wild animals do it already.

And you know this from your extensive raptor experience?

My apologies, I didn't realize you were a raptor expert :rolleyes: 

You may be right, but this is all conjecture considering it is an animal that's been extinct for 71 million years.

So of course you could be completely wrong too. I chose to believe that it is a ridiculous storyline. You like it, that's your opinion.

• Like 1

As an 80s child, I have seen the franchises I grew up with manipulated into things that bear no resemblance to "my" versions - heck not even after major time gaps (He-Man/MOTU for example - that film wasn't long after the series and was just awkward).  It used to irk me but now... meh.

I treat these remakes as something completely different.  Transformers, for example - I loved the series as a child, I kinda liked Armada in my 20s, the films - well I approached them as something new, and so as such I found fault with the 1st as a standalone entity (poorly directed by hey - Bay) but felt in no way betrayed.

Actually scrap that.  The point I'm making (FOR ME) still stands, but I DO think Bay ######ed me over a little.  Why?  Because this wasn't originally sold as "something new".  I'd love to find it but can't - however the first "oh hey, also we're making a TF movie" announcement was made alongside a truck under a black tarp with the logo on the side.  What type of truck was it?  ORIGINAL Optimus Prime type.

Off Topic - still cannot believe the MOTU movie, I mean.. I am pretty sure they just pulled a script off the shelf, changed a few character names and green lit it.  Besides a few things from the cartoon, it had nothing to do with MOTU.. man that movie was bad.

back on - despite the raptor thing I still feel like this movie will be entertaining and for my own sanity I will keep it separate from the original JP

• Like 1

My apologies, I didn't realize you were a raptor expert :rolleyes:

You may be right, but this is all conjecture considering it is an animal that's been extinct for 71 million years.

So of course you could be completely wrong too. I chose to believe that it is a ridiculous storyline. You like it, that's your opinion.

Pretty much any animal that has the ability to observe the training can be trained. I challenge you to find me an intelligent animal that hasn't been used as a pet at least once. (Excluding things that obviously do not apply).

Also, 'raptors' in the JP world aren't what raptors really were. 

But basically - crocodiles can be and have been trained. Crocodiles are the closest living thing to a dinosaur - therefore, you can make the assumption that dinosaurs could be trained.

Just because you don't like the storyline doesn't mean its implausible. (Assuming that you suspend the disbelief of dinosaurs existing).

• Like 1