Windows Media Center on Windows 8 Core

win8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wessleym

wessleym

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:08

I bought a laptop which came with Windows 8 Core. At the time, I didn't realize Windows 8 Core existed. I'm now trying to install Media Center using the free keys Microsoft is giving out, but they won't work because I'm running Windows 8 Core instead of Pro. It seems the only way to upgrade from Core to Pro is to buy Pro Pack for $70, which is weird because the Windows 7 to 8 upgrade is only $40. Is there a better way for me to obtain Windows 8 Pro?

#2 OP wessleym

wessleym

Neowinian

Posted 16 January 2013 - 18:02

Bump.

#3 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:39

The only other version of Windows 8 besides Pro is just Windows 8, there is no "Core" version. Only Server 2012 has a Core install option.

Windows Media Center is only available as a separate download for the Pro version so it looks like the only way to go is the Pro upgrade.

#4 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:59

The only other version of Windows 8 besides Pro is just Windows 8, there is no "Core" version. Only Server 2012 has a Core install option.

Windows Media Center is only available as a separate download for the Pro version so it looks like the only way to go is the Pro upgrade.

The "Core edition" is just another name for Standard or Basic:

http://en.wikipedia....dows_8_editions