Windows Defender Status Manager for Windows 8

Hey all,

If you use Windows Defender for your Anti-Malware solution then you might like this.

I was very annoyed when Win8 didn't offer an icon for Defender to pin onto the notification area and no shortcut to scan a file when right clicking

But alas, I found a neat little program which does both.

Here is the link:

http://www.itknowled...tus-manager.php

Thanks to itknowledge24.com

-Vinny

post-472806-0-05619900-1358349246.jpg

post-472806-0-27397600-1358349247.jpg

• Like 1

the thing is with windows defender the moment a file is created its scanned so u shouldnt need the right click option

It *Should* scan, just like any other antivirus, still, having the option to manually scan is nice. IMO

MSE (and other anti-viruses) have active (real-time) protection as well, still gave the right click option.

• Like 1

the thing is with windows defender the moment a file is created its scanned so u shouldnt need the right click option

And this is the mentality that leads to consumers accepting a dumbed-down OS or other product (no offense). "I don't need that feature because it does it for me automatically." I disagree. It's fine if it happens automatically. But I also want to keep the ability to manually manipulate the program myself.

Same thing goes for the ability to tweak options. The more options they remove from programs and OS's, the more simple they become. Want simplicity? Buy a Mac. Want the ability to tweak, customize, and manipulate? That has always been the strong point of a PC. Sadly, Windows8 goes a long way in changing that.

I just switched back from Avast to defender, my only gripe about defender is there are literally no options at all. On/Off thats it!

I know its supposed to do everything automatically but it kinda worries me sometimes, it gives you hardly any information or anything.

offtopic; Holy systray batman! I couldn;t deal with all that, I like minimalistic, I have wifi, sound and utorrent. Rest are hidden lol

I just switched back from Avast to defender, my only gripe about defender is there are literally no options at all. On/Off thats it!

I know its supposed to do everything automatically but it kinda worries me sometimes, it gives you hardly any information or anything.

offtopic; Holy systray batman! I couldn;t deal with all that, I like minimalistic, I have wifi, sound and utorrent. Rest are hidden lol

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I love my systray!!

And this is the mentality that leads to consumers accepting a dumbed-down OS or other product (no offense). "I don't need that feature because it does it for me automatically." I disagree. It's fine if it happens automatically. But I also want to keep the ability to manually manipulate the program myself.

Same thing goes for the ability to tweak options. The more options they remove from programs and OS's, the more simple they become. Want simplicity? Buy a Mac. Want the ability to tweak, customize, and manipulate? That has always been the strong point of a PC. Sadly, Windows8 goes a long way in changing that.

Well said.

You cannot run system scans?

No, you can run full system scans but you have to open the program up to do it.

What this is for is to give you a tray icon and the ability to manually scan a folder/file from the context menu.

I've installed this program twice on my Windows 8 Pro machine, but it doesn't work. The tray icon constantly tells me that Windows Defender is disabled, even though I have verified it is always on and providing real-time protection. It doesn't add anything to my context menu either.

I e-mailed the authors for support, but only got this for a reply:

Thanks for contacting us! Most of the users say

it's completely fine, and everything is working.

We never added a uninstall function, because

the program is basically tiny and portable. Anyway.

It determines if Windows Defender is on via two

values:

Windows Defender Service Status i.e. Running/Pause/Stopped

Windows Defender Registry Value = 1 or 0

Thanks! We hope this helps!

Well, it doesn't really help much, since I still can't get it to work. Thanks anyway to the OP for telling us about this program regardless. The functions of it would be very useful if they worked. Hopefully someone else will release one that functions correctly.

Tim

I've installed this program twice on my Windows 8 Pro machine, but it doesn't work. The tray icon constantly tells me that Windows Defender is disabled, even though I have verified it is always on and providing real-time protection. It doesn't add anything to my context menu either.

I e-mailed the authors for support, but only got this for a reply:

Well, it doesn't really help much, since I still can't get it to work. Thanks anyway to the OP for telling us about this program regardless. The functions of it would be very useful if they worked. Hopefully someone else will release one that functions correctly.

Tim

I had the same problem. The program checks the registry for a certain key, however this key is not created by default. You have to disable Windows Defender (under the settings tab, uncheck 'use real-time protection...' save changes, then recheck it and save changes). This creates the registry value and sets it to '1'.

• Like 2

I had the same problem. The program checks the registry for a certain key, however this key is not created by default. You have to disable Windows Defender (under the settings tab, uncheck 'use real-time protection...' save changes, then recheck it and save changes). This creates the registry value and sets it to '1'.

That did the trick! Thanks, phear00!! I will send this info to the creators, and hope that they add it to their info page.

Tim