Photo

Windows Store won't launch, "license" issue?

win8

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:15

So after an upgrade from 7 to 8 Pro, I notice that the only, ahem, Metro apps that got installed were IE/PC Settings/Store.

And then when I try launching the Store, nothing happens. But then I poke in the event log and see something to the effect of "This app failed to launch because of an issue with its license. Please try again in a moment"

What is going on?

#2 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:49

Hello,

Have you verified that Windows 8 shows up as legally licensed on the computer? Try pressing WinKey+R to bring up the "Run" dialog, issuing a "SLMGR.VBS /DLI" command, and seeing if it spits out a message saying that Windows is licensed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#3 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:01

Please clarify if your Windows 8 is actually legit or not. If it's not legit, nobody on this forum will be able to help you but at least some of us can become aware of what to look out for to tell if they are dealing with a pirate copy.

#4 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:26

Try and create a new user account then log into that account, it will refresh the licences, log back into your main account and they should be working again.

I'm running legit Windows 8 and its happened to me twice.

#5 OP Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2013 - 13:46

Please clarify if your Windows 8 is actually legit or not. If it's not legit, nobody on this forum will be able to help you but at least some of us can become aware of what to look out for to tell if they are dealing with a pirate copy.

I did it through the Upgrade Assistant, how else would you do it?

No, this is a different license. Something related to app licenses. It seems as if this problem happens from time to time for those who upgrade from 7...

I did try running the Windows Store App troubleshooter to no avail.

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 January 2013 - 13:51

Did you sign in with a Microsoft ID? You have to in order to use the store.

#7 OP Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2013 - 13:59

Did you sign in with a Microsoft ID? You have to in order to use the store.

You can do that on individual apps too (as I do on my main computer, which runs 8 as a clean install), but that's done after you launch the app.

Here, the Store won't even launch at all.

#8 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:00

You can do that on individual apps too (as I do on my main computer, which runs 8 as a clean install), but that's done after you launch the app.

Here, the Store won't even launch at all.

No, no. Is your user profile under a Microsoft ID? IE: did you sign in using a local user account or a Microsoft email address?

#9 OP Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:11

No, no. Is your user profile under a Microsoft ID? IE: did you sign in using a local user account or a Microsoft email address?

We just kept the local account. (and it works fine like that on my desktop too)

#10 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:17

You need Microsoft ID so you can use the Store.

Other than that, you can use desktop apps without using any Microsoft ID.

#11 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:19

Yeah, you need a Microsoft ID to use the store. Windows 8 is meant to be linked to it.

#12 OP Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:42

The issue seems to be the same one this user is having, except its with a retail key, Pro, and not on a domain. This user also seems to be having it, and he actually did link with the account as login too.

And well, what if I don't want to link everything with a Windows Live whatever? I am pretty sure that is not the problem, since everyone I've seen with this issue are users who upgraded from 7.

#13 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:50

The issue seems to be the same one this user is having, except its with a retail key, Pro, and not on a domain. This user also seems to be having it, and he actually did link with the account as login too.

And well, what if I don't want to link everything with a Windows Live whatever? I am pretty sure that is not the problem, since everyone I've seen with this issue are users who upgraded from 7.

Developer Preview allowed you to the store without Microsoft ID.... But not the RTM/Retail versions.

That's why Microsoft made some changes before they released the RTM/Retail versions.

I liked the weather app on Developer Preview ... but they changed their app before they released it.

#14 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:00

You need a linked account, no if, ands, or buts. You can't use the Store without it.

#15 OP Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:09

You need a linked account, no if, ands, or buts. You can't use the Store without it.

I don't have a "linked" account on my main computer and the Store works. If you do that, it just asks you to log in individually for each app that needs a login (Store included). But still, why do you think that's the problem? I brought up posts from others indicating that this is happening even if you do link fully.