massachusetts department of public health obesity body mass index

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,553 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 18:24

That would be my suggestion too. Food and drinks that are unhealthy should be taxed and that money should be used to subsidise healthy food, like fruit and veg. And you're right, it's ridiculous that the US subsidises corn when it is a major contributor to obesity, particularly through HFCS.

Umm, corn is a subsidized vege.

#17 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,748 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 28 February 2013 - 18:25

The parents don't wanna hear that. What they want to hear is constant praise of their kids, and political correctness.

Nailed it.

Its the schools fault my kid isn't doing good in school..

Lets turn that into real world scenario,

Its the CEOs fault my child isn't doing well at his job..

And we wonder why our country is going to ****

#18 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,394 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 18:29

If there are issues with the accuracy of the tests then they need to be addressed but parents should be informed if their child is overweight or underweight. Too often parents don't realise that they're doing anything wrong, especially if they lead unhealthy lifestyles themselves.

Thinking the same thing, do the actually pinch fat / muscle ratio test to determine. Not just the height / weight.
Also... get Pop/Soda out of schools.
Parents do have share the responsibility too.

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,303 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 28 February 2013 - 18:51

Umm, corn is a subsidized vege.

No, corn is a grain. While it has many healthy uses, the US corn subsidies—combined with domestic quotas on sugar production and import tariffs on foreign sugar—have encouraged incredibly unhealthy uses, like High Fructose Corn Syrup. It has contributed to the obesity epidemic.

#20 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,408 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 18:55

Good job defending your own health issues their like so many others guilty about their condition. As a healthcare workers, I say this is a good move.

/sigh

Also in health care, but retired.

For 20+ years the limitations of BMI have been known, especially for those who have very large muscle masses (me) and other outliers. If you aren't aware of those limitations you should be. If you're ignoring them just so you can continue with your unprofessional ad-homs, we have nothing else to say to each other.

#21 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,529 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 18:55

Well I guess technically HHH is fat as well then.
I'm 6 foot 1, I'm 18 stone, I work out, and don't have a gut, does that make me fat?

#22 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,408 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 19:07

14 lbs to the stone, right? 18x14 = 252 lbs.

6' 1" would be obese at ~220 lbs

See?

When I played football I was just a hair under 6' 2" and weighed in at a very lean 240 lbs - 6-pack & all. 56" chest, 28" thighs, 22" neck etc. and I still have most all of it & work out 2x a day. Every day. If I ever got as light as "some people" here think I should I'd get ill. I know because I've tried & done it. Never again.

#23 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,529 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 19:22

14 lbs to the stone, right? 18x14 = 252 lbs.

6' 1" would be obese at ~220 lbs

See?

When I played football I was just a hair under 6' 2" and weighed in at a very lean 240 lbs - 6-pack & all. 56" chest, 28" thighs, 22" neck etc. and I still have most all of it & work out 2x a day. Every day. If I ever got as light as "some people" here think I should I'd get ill. I know because I've tried & done it. Never again.

Sorry, was the first part referring to my height and weight?
Second part, although I'm not certified in medicine in any way, I wholeheartedly agree with, There's always been a nag in the back of my mind saying, 'wait, that can't be right'
(Hence the reason I trolled in this thread early on)

#24 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,769 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 19:22

Gawd I always hated BMI crap..... in college I had my health prof call me "over weight"..... and I was 6'2 and 160 lbs.... I could never figure out the logic... I am SKINNY....

but what I really don't get is, when I was in school, you barely saw a larger kid, maybe one or two in a few thousand kids... and we had pop/snacks/sugary foods...... in school! and there wasn't this huge health kick, it seemed like as soon as they health kick started, people started to get larger..... almost like the more you pushed the health crazy the larger the kids got.....

#25 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,529 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 19:24

Gawd I always hated BMI crap..... in college I had my health prof call me "over weight"..... and I was 6'2 and 160 lbs.... I could never figure out the logic... I am SKINNY....

but what I really don't get is, when I was in school, you barely saw a larger kid, maybe one or two in a few thousand kids... and we had pop/snacks/sugary foods...... in school! and there wasn't this huge health kick, it seemed like as soon as they health kick started, people started to get larger..... almost like the more you pushed the health crazy the larger the kids got.....

I've always thought a happier schooling would serve better than weight conscious schooling, though I do understand that there should be some sort of regulation also.

#26 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 4,883 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 20:34

/sigh

Also in health care, but retired.

For 20+ years the limitations of BMI have been known, especially for those who have very large muscle masses (me) and other outliers. If you aren't aware of those limitations you should be. If you're ignoring them just so you can continue with your unprofessional ad-homs, we have nothing else to say to each other.

Was not talking about BMI, rather your attitude to being overweight in the rest of your post. BMI isnt accurate yes, but neither is your careless attitude to being overweight especially given your medical history but actually in a sense that make this unsurprising.

#27 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 20:47

I enjoyed it talking about a 10 yr olds muscle mass...

i did too... 10yr w/ muscle mass... :rolleyes:

#28 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,408 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 20:50

i did too... 10yr w/ muscle mass... :rolleyes:

Richard Sandrak

Posted Image

#29 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 20:55

Richard Sandrak

Steroids do a body good.

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:01

If our schools when spend the majority of time on teaching our kids reading, writing, and arithmetic and less time on crap like this, maybe we would have kids graduating school that actually knew something.