Photo

Making the Windows 8 line great, and lovable for you.

win8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#16 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:57

<snipped>

In what way is that Trash, Microsoft Windows is one of the most impressive software engineering feats of our time. I think i even read it is the most complex and the has the largest source code base in the world.

I think it's incredible and it was something i remarking to friends just the other day. Ive been using Windows since 1, the Win9x line done a lot to bring a desktop on every desk but they were very unreliable. Fast forward to today and it is one of the most reliable OS's around, ive yet to see it crash through a random act, it's usually due to heat or bad hardware. To think that this OS can work on the billions of combinations of hardware is incredible, your motherboard alone as a vast range of technologies, sound card, network, SATA controllers, PCIe controller etc.. thats before you've plugged in a HDD, CPU, RAM etc..

Does this mean that others can't do the same, no, Linux is reliable on a vast variety of hardware. Mac OSX is a different beast due to the vertical stack of how it's placed, but it's not hard to imagine that it could be the same, however because other OS's can do the same doesn't mean it's any less incredible.

I primarily use a Mac, they work well around how i expect to work so it's a personal opinion, however i use Windows at work and i have laptops and desktops at home using Windows. I use Linux more in servers but have tinkered with it on the desktop.

For me Windows 8 was better when i ignored metro on the desktop. I only use the weather app and train apps in metro as gadgets/widgets, i.e. i don't run them i just use the live tile side of it. As soon as i went down this way of think Windows 8 became by default desktops as my workflow worked.

Windows 8 has incredible performance enhancements and the reduce to idle mentality has meant big power savings, i have an old MSI U135DX netbooks, i installed an SSD 2GB RAM and Windows 8, i easily get 5 - 6 hours and the machine just flies along, something i find really incredible.

For me i would do something with the search, i find it slower than spotlight on the Mac (at indexing), so doing a search can sometimes lead to missing files as they haven't been indexed. Also i don't like the way the UI is handled, it's quite a effort, in that you perform a search and the results are displayed but there are no filters, it would have been nice if some options like, filter by all overs over 1MB, filter by this kind of document. I could type it but having it the UI would make more sense.

I would include an option to go straight to the desktop instead of straight to metro, i can understand this works for mobile devices however for desktops and laptops it doesn't work for me and would like the option.

I would have an option to change the hot areas of the screen, i really don't like the metro switcher top left as it's how i am used to closing windows application (double clicking the top left), i would also like to change the charms hot areas as well. ]

I would love Microsoft to implement the Mac's Expose feature, ive tried the third party stuff but i find it doesn't perform the same.

Generally the biggest problem with Windows 8 is the lack of choice, when transitioning away from one technology or one way of working Microsoft usually does a good of allowing people to migrate when they are ready, for example the start menu, the classic menu was there for a long time for people who liked it. I understand Microsoft wanting to push metro but on desktops and laptops they should have provided a choice, if people wanted the start menu then give it to them, warn them by Win9/10 it's going but at least have one release where people could switch between them.

In the whole regard of the Mobile UI on a desktop im afraid i still agree with the apple way which is to have one UI for desktops and one UI for mobile devices. I don't like touch on desktops and laptops as i don't think they work, i think touch is really a slate/tablet and mobile phone device type interface however this is my opinion and could easily be wrong.

However after those comments i still like Windows 8 a lot, i really like the new flat UI for the explorer shell, i think it looks very modern. I love the performance increases and the increased battery and have been recommending it to friends and family because of these benefits.

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:42

The same way every other OS works on touchscreen. There's been tablets with Win 7 on them for a long time, they work just fine without tiles and modern UI.

iPad sales say you are wrong.

For me Windows 8 was better when i ignored metro on the desktop. I only use the weather app and train apps in metro as gadgets/widgets, i.e. i don't run them i just use the live tile side of it. As soon as i went down this way of think Windows 8 became by default desktops as my workflow worked.

This, a billion times. Windows 8 is fine on desktop if you don't worry too much about Metro apps. Unlike most people worrying about "enterprise" here, I actually work in one. We make enterprise software and we are a decent sized multi-national on our own. Our IT finished rolling out Windows 7 very recently (i.e. Windows 7 is default OS since late 2010 but it took two more years to get everyone on board) and they have already started a Windows 8 pilot (I am in!). Windows 8 works just fine in my dev. environment, including multi-monitor setups like I have at work.

Is it perfect? obviously not but it is certainly not as bad as most nay-sayers are portraying here.

#18 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:04

I think they could of incorporated the new start screen into the desktop interface itself. After all, all you do is fill it with pointless icons and slap a desktop image behind, which you can do with the start screen anyway. Then there should be the option to make the tiles smaller like on WP, for the people who don't use touch.

It's just off putting for me having an overlay as a start menu.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:09

I would have different expectations managing the enterprise and end-users for a "technology" company than say a local government or manufacturing plant, or any company dealing with customers and having no time to fiddle with the UI. I would expect a "technology" company to be able to deal with Linux on the desktop.

No one is supposed to be arguing. I could go all day arguing your made up stuff about the Start Menu and making decisions of Microsoft's self-serving research that does not mirror reality for millions no matter how many times you quote it. You actually believe 90% of the time people are searching for Programs. I can't even take much you say seriously after that. Microsoft could spend a billion dollars on research that says that and it still won't be reality.

Zealots on both sides just can't help themselves and it only takes 2.

I think you're confusing two meaning of the word argument and taking it to mean the more excessive one, while in this instance it means an argument in a discussion. Which is what a forum is for. If you didn't want arguments for or against your post, you should have posted in on a webpage with no comment ability, not on a forum.

As for the search. Yes when pele search on the start menu or screen, nine out of ten times they're searching for a program. Documents most people actually either know where is and open through the explorer or they open word or similar first and open it from there. And you don't search for settings very often, a least not regular users. S yeah, the vast majority of times you're searching, you're searching for apps.

As for MS metrics. It's based on the usage of millions and millions of users. MS don't make up is, as it's not in their interest, it's in their interest to make the OS for the users. That means using the data from their usage metrics.

And we're not talking about research here. We're talking about the usage metrics from millions and millions of actual windows computers of users who have opted to report their usage back to MS to help them improve the OS for future releases. I guess you answered no to that... Well to bad, then your usage doesn't get counted, and because you and all the self proclaimed "pro" users said no to this, you ge to use windows like all the regular users prefer to.

But now you're doing the same thing as the other guy, your throwing ad hominems at me and saying "I won't listen to you because I can't counter your arguments and I don't like them". S instead of coming up with actual arguments you star insulting. You till haven't replied to my other reply either.

#20 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:10

I would have different expectations managing the enterprise and end-users for a "technology" company than say a local government or manufacturing plant, or any company dealing with customers and having no time to fiddle with the UI. I would expect a "technology" company to be able to deal with Linux on the desktop.

Well kind of not true. We have non-technical folks too, there is a mix of admin/HR/executives/sales/marketing who don't fall under technical or r&d departments.

#21 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:12

[Thread cleaned and closed]

This thread has gone far enough off-topic.