Convenience-store owners in Maine are concerned that the state lottery wants to rebrand its scratch-off lottery tickets as "Kwikies."

?That?s going to be real uncomfortable for my girls behind the register to have guys come in and say, ?Hey, give me a Kwikie,?? David Welch, owner of Village Market in Fairfield, Me., told the Bangor Daily News after receiving a letter from the Maine State Lottery informing him of the plan.

?It?s highly inappropriate,? Kaylee Constable, one of Welch's employees, added. ?[Customers] come in and joke around with me and say, ?Can I get a Kwikie?? I?m only 19 years old, and I have 40- and 50-year-old men saying sexual remarks to me.?

The newspaper provided some helpful context: "In slang terms, a quickie is a short sexual encounter."

But state lottery officials say the origin of the new name has nothing to do with sex.

?The benefit of buying this ticket is that it?s quick, easy and fun,? Gerry Reid, director of the Maine Bureau of Alcoholic Beverages and Lottery Operations, told the paper. ?That?s what an instant ticket is.?

The state lottery sells the instant tickets?priced between $1 and $20?at about 1,300 retail stores, generating about $30 million a year for the state's general fund.

The newspaper interviewed a cashier who said he tested the new name by asking customers if they would like a Kwikie.

?I tried that on a couple of women," Tom Borden, a cashier at Fox Brook Variety in Dover-Foxcroft, said. "It didn?t go over very well." :huh:

source

they'll get over it.

People found the name iPad also funny in the beginning, and look at it now.

I think the issue is not the name as being funny but sounding like a derogatory term for what a john would ask a prostitute. In other words it is a term for a quick sexual encounter.

To say that to a most guy's and you won't have a problem, but say that to a lady and they may take offence to it.

That is the problem...

quickie-time1.jpg

I think the issue is not the name as being funny but sounding like a derogatory term for what a john would ask a prostitute. In other words it is a term for a quick sexual encounter.

To say that to a most guy's and you won't have a problem, but say that to a lady and they may take offence to it.

That is the problem...

quickie-time1.jpg

I understand the sexual reference, I just don't see it as that big a deal.

Why are people still so up tight?

That sounds about as bad as someone who does not know food pronouncing quiche as "quickhe."

And I thought it was bad that some people pronounce it "queesh".

?That?s going to be real uncomfortable for my girls behind the register to have guys come in and say, ?Hey, give me a Kwikie,?? David Welch, owner of Village Market in Fairfield, Me., told the Bangor Daily News after receiving a letter from the Maine State Lottery informing him of the plan.

Only if you have a dirty mind. ;)

Or people can learn to take things in context. It is just a name of a scratch ticket...

If guys are coming in and making sexual advances on women behind the counter, I doubt their primary motivation for it is the name of a scratch ticket, and the situation should be treated appropriately.

Quick picks are randomly generated lottery numbers. This is for scratch-off lottery tickets.

Convenience-store owners in Maine are concerned that the state lottery wants to rebrand its scratch-off lottery tickets as "Kwikies."