Fireball Lights up Sky Over Maine

Just checked for incoming space debris at Spaceflight101...nothing in that area. We'll probably hear about it shortly.   :)

/s   Must be a celestial targeting system malfunction.....or...... someone hit the ISS button, I'll go and check...

not that button2.jpg

cop-520x245.jpg 

6 minutes ago, Draggendrop said:

Just checked for incoming space debris at Spaceflight101...nothing in that area. We'll probably hear about it shortly.   :)

/s   Must be a celestial targeting system malfunction.....or...... someone hit the ISS button, I'll go and check...

not that button2.jpg

cop-520x245.jpg 

This is no more than spam by a staff member/

• Like 1

I'm sorry Gary, It won't happen..............................for a little while.    :D

• Like 1

Just now, Draggendrop said:

I'm sorry Gary, It won't happen..............................for a little while.    :D

I know it won't not in this section as this will be my final post in this section. For some strange reason I thought that staff here had some class. Looks like I was wrong.

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

Must be North Korea....

But seriously, probably a meteor.

I know it is was a meteor when I posted it. Not an excuse for a staff member to make fun of it. Makes me rethink contributing again.

In the Science section, we also try to have a little bit of fun mixed in with some rather dry stuff at times. We see fireballs all the time. Video's are usually released at the spur of the moment with nothing to support it. Eventually we will see that it gets tracked down.

You will also see a  /s beside my statement of a quick investigation I did for you Gary.

I think you may have had a bad day...life is too short for this. Post and have some fun.   :D

• Like 2

Maybe you should warn users that post for the first time in this section. This is my last in this section. No hard feelings but .....not very businesslike for the staff.

6 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

Nice meteor. Kinda reminds me of the time I saw ball lightning during a thunderstorm.

Yes, I have not been lucky enough to see one in person, just video's but they are astounding events, just like high altitude sprites.

:)

2 minutes ago, Draggendrop said:

Yes, I have not been lucky enough to see one in person, just video's but they are astounding events, just like high altitude sprites.

:)

Yeah, I knew it was ball lightning too when it happened when I was in my teens. I've seen shooting star meteors but nothing like this large meteor, which would be interesting to see. Especially in the daytime I'm thinking.

Seeing a sprite and/or blue jet with my naked eyes is my absolute wish and dream. I live on top of a hill so I can observe the thunderstorms that pretty far away. When it's warm outside I like to sit in the dark and watch above the storm clouds. :)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, techbeck said:

With the amount of BS and arguing that happens around here....lighten up

I will lighten up. It would not and did not bother me what Warwagon posted. LOL.. But I hold staff at a higher level. In my opinion Staff should act with the respect that they deserve. I have been a Global Mod at another site and it is a thankless non paying job. But this is a two way street. If the staff here do not treat members with respect they should not expect it in return. :)

23 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I will lighten up. It would not and did not bother me what Warwagon posted. LOL.. But I hold staff at a higher level. In my opinion Staff should act with the respect that they deserve. I have been a Global Mod at another site and it is a thankless non paying job. But this is a two way street. If the staff here do not treat members with respect they should not expect it in return. :)

You have an interesting double standard. Moderators are people too. From what you said, if @warwagon was a moderator then you would have a problem with his post. But he isn't therefore it is ok?

36 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

You have an interesting double standard. Moderators are people too. From what you said, if @warwagon was a moderator then you would have a problem with his post. But he isn't therefore it is ok?

A double standard that Staff should treat members with Respect and not make fun of their posts?? Sorry but a member of Neowin's Staff should be better than this. If you don't think so, I do not really care. I should mention that I have been drinking beer since 3:00 PM EST so bear with me. That being said, I still stand by how I feel that the Staff here should treat members. Warwagon is not Staff he is the same as you, no more no less. Now can we put this to bed as that is where I am going. Have a great evening one and all!:)

3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

A double standard that Staff should treat members with Respect and not make fun of their posts?? Sorry but a member of Neowin's Staff should be better than this. If you don't think so, I do not really care. I should mention that I have been drinking beer since 3:00 PM EST so bear with me. That being said, I still stand by how I feel that the Staff here should treat members. Warwagon is not Staff he is the same as you, no more no less. Now can we put this to bed as that is where I am going. Have a great evening one and all!:)

I think of it like this. When I create a thread about anything, a joke or something important. I love ANY replies I can get. Because 

A) It bumps my thread to the top of the forum

B) it puts me on the front page for a moment

C) If it looks like it has a few replies more people will open it.

• Like 5

Nice find @Gary7

Thanks for the link @Draggendrop!  Bookmarked!  

The fireball video is cool.  Love videos of the bigger/brighter meteors lighting up the sky.  

Some more information about the event ... and more videos. :)

The AMS has received 425 reports so far about a fireball event over Northeastern US on May 17th 2016 around 12:50am EDT (4:50 UT). The fireball was seen primarily from Maine but witnesses from Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Ontario (Canada) and Québec (Canada) also reported the event.

http://www.amsmeteors.org/2016/05/huge-fireball-over-northeastern-us/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

I meant no disrespect to anyone yesterday especially @warwagonat the time I was not having a good day. Also to  @Draggendrop .

No worries :D ... that being said i would have said the exact same thing when I was a mod. In fact I got spanked a few times saying some things I shouldn't have lol

• zhangm changed the title to Fireball Lights up Sky Over Maine