Captain Kirk Takes Command of the Navy’s New $4 Billion Destroyer

Who better to entrust a high-tech, multi-billion dollar warship to than Capt. James Kirk?
In this case it’s U.S. Navy Capt. James A. Kirk, not Starfleet Capt. James Tiberius Kirk of the United Federation of Planets and StarTrek fame, and the ship is the USS Zumwalt, not the Enterprise.

Defense contractor General Dynamics formally handed over the keys for the first of the service’s newest class of destroyers on Friday at the firm’s Bath Iron Works subsidiary in Maine.

"Zumwalt's crew has diligently trained for months in preparation of this day and they are ready and excited to take charge of this ship on behalf of the U.S. Navy," Kirk said in a press release. "These are 143 of our nation's finest men and women who continue to honor Admiral Zumwalt's namesake with their dedication to bringing this ship to life."

full story

151207-N-ZZ999-435.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder how many times he's heard "He's dead Jim" or "I am, and always shall be, your friend". etc etc.

4 minutes ago, xrobwx said:

I wonder how many times he's heard "He's dead Jim" or "I am, and always shall be, your friend". etc etc.

I'd be one of those, haha.

I used to work for General Dynamics as a contractor through another company. They had some WICKED stuff back in 2007. My job was assembling computers and tech gear. Mostly assembled laptops/tablets for the army. Why the army you ask? Because the army used them as friggin' shields. At least that's what the Marines I worked with joked about :p

It is not.

A 600 feet long stealth destroyer with phased array radars, destined to get rail guns, and it carries a buttload of missiles. It also can launch a Seahawk or Blackhawk chopper, and 3 Fire Scout drones.

Sounds impressive, but it's the Navy's F-35. It cannot carry the SM-3 ballistic missile defense missiles it's predecessors carry, it's way too expensive to deploy in large numbers, it's guns have limited ammo stores and thus have limited bombardment capabilities, the radars are not Aegis, etc. etc. 

As it stands, only 2-3 will be built.

12 minutes ago, DocM said:

It is not.

A 600 feet long stealth destroyer with phased array radars, destined to get rail guns, and it carries a buttload of missiles. It also can launch a Seahawk or Blackhawk chopper, and 3 Fire Scout drones.

Sounds impressive, but it's the Navy's F-35. It cannot carry the SM-3 ballistic missile defense missiles it's predecessors carry, it's way too expensive to deploy in large numbers, it's guns have limited ammo stores and thus have limited bombardment capabilities, the radars are not Aegis, etc. etc. 

As it stands, only 2-3 will be built.

Unfortunately these types of ships are usually test beds to something coming more further down the line.  Still an awesome looking ship and is bigger than it looks.

Oh, I'm certain many of its design and other elements will be seen in future ships of many types. It's just that it needed more thinking and common sense before cutting the metal.

. . .Sorry as a former Destroyer sailor, DD971 U.S.S. David R. Ray this does not even look like a DD. . . . Beside it leaks the armament that we had along with the sub hunting capabilities that were on the Sprucence class Destroyers. 

3 minutes ago, Pam14160 said:

. . .Sorry as a former Destroyer sailor, DD971 U.S.S. David R. Ray this does not even look like a DD. . . . Beside it leaks the armament that we had along with the sub hunting capabilities that were on the Sprucence class Destroyers. 

That boat was commissioned way back in 1977, you do not look old enough to have served on her but she was de commissioned in 2002. The Zumwalt is more of a display type ship.:)