• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 30 April 2013 - 22:07

If anything, this is good news.

I highly doubt Nintendo see it that way.

#17 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 30 April 2013 - 22:10

The sad part is, a friend of mine went through the trouble of doing this and the console still only saw about a months worth of play time before it continued to collect dust. :/

Anyway, I'm not sure what the excitement is about if it doesn't allow for homebrew or anything else yet. How would a 1:1 backup of a game help anything? Especially when there aren't many games to begin with? (honest question here, I'm not trying to be an ass)

Either he breezes through games quite quickly or his game tastes are quite limited, if I had the entire Wii's library at my disposal I wouldn't be getting off it for quite a while :p

The excitement (as per the second part of your post) is because it's not used for backups, it's for people to be able to download disc rips off of the internet and run it off of a USB HDD - essentially, free games. Obviously, there's not many games out yet, but there will be. The people who are excited about this simply couldn't care less about homebrew, they only want free games.

I really doubt support for homebrew stuff would get you a decent gamecube emulator, especially if it's done entirely in software.

You're probably right, I doubt it'll have any chance of doing Gamecube emulation if it's got no hardware acceleration, which is a shame. However, if the homebrew developers can make this feasible, it'll pretty much open the gates for Wii emulation too, which would be a massive boon for homebrew users (I think this might actually push me to purchase a Wii U, even, if I didn't have one already), as it would allow Wii games to be played on the GP. This is more ignorant fanboy speculation then any actual rational thinking, as the rational side of me knows the ins and outs enough to know this probably won't ever happen, and that makes me sad :laugh:

#18 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 30 April 2013 - 22:16

considering how long it takes to write an emulator and how complicated they are. I wouldn't hold my breath. even if they eventually where able to fully support home brew, they'd have to write a whole new powerPC based emulator, while they could potentially re-use a lot of code, it's not a direct re-compile.

#19 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 30 April 2013 - 22:20

considering how long it takes to write an emulator and how complicated they are. I wouldn't hold my breath. even if they eventually where able to fully support home brew, they'd have to write a whole new powerPC based emulator, while they could potentially re-use a lot of code, it's not a direct re-compile.

Well the Wii emulators could probably be re-used a fair bit, but yeah, you're right. Plus, brand new emulators would take forever.

#20 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

Posted 30 April 2013 - 22:34

If the Wii can virtualize the GameCube hardware (and it can as evidenced by the homebrew software for playing GameCube backups, Devolution), so can the Wii U. I fail to see how Nintendo could not do better than someone who did it in their free time.

#21 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 30 April 2013 - 22:53

The excitement (as per the second part of your post) is because it's not used for backups, it's for people to be able to download disc rips off of the internet and run it off of a USB HDD - essentially, free games. Obviously, there's not many games out yet, but there will be. The people who are excited about this simply couldn't care less about homebrew, they only want free games.

Ahhh, okay. I think I misread that as not being able to play pirated games for some reason. Thanks for the reply!

#22 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 30 April 2013 - 23:01

If the Wii can virtualize the GameCube hardware (and it can as evidenced by the homebrew software for playing GameCube backups, Devolution), so can the Wii U. I fail to see how Nintendo could not do better than someone who did it in their free time.

The GC -> Wii was basically an enhanced CPU, it's fully backwards compatible and has a register for controlling if it runs in GC or Wii mode. The wiiu is probably completely different due to security reasons and whatnot, and it's cheaper to remove old features that you don't need. So no, I don't think so.

#23 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:02

The GC -> Wii was basically an enhanced CPU, it's fully backwards compatible and has a register for controlling if it runs in GC or Wii mode. The wiiu is probably completely different due to security reasons and whatnot, and it's cheaper to remove old features that you don't need. So no, I don't think so.

Incorrect. Devolution runs on Wii-mode on the Wii U.