Does the Microsoft Mouse Foretell the 8.1 Start Button Appearence

wouldn't the addition of the button make it pointless for the digital button. Also i still do not see much of a reason for a start button / menu in windows 8, ignoring the start screen they have still implemented faster ways of access information than with the old menu style.

honestly...you can program any of the multi-button MS/Logitech mice to have a "windows key" on them, I am still puzzled why this is such a big news.

• Like 1

I don't know, but it seems to be a bit backwards that we're now putting additional hardware buttons on our devices. Seems like, if anything, we should be going in the opposite direction.

I do agree with you, though the last time I actually cared about an addition to current hardware, was when there were keyboards manufactured with Flip 3D keys.

The Start Menu is obsolete in the fact that tiny, static icons, browsing through dozens of featureless folders, combined with the generally cramped feeling the menu gives, and you'll see why it died. There was no way to advance it without changing things no matter what. Then to include the modern apps, and fit into the modern UX, and you just have resources going out the door with little return for it.

The Modern UX isn't going to mature overnight, by the time Windows 9 comes around, hardware should catch up, and we'll forget all about the crappy menu.

QFT.

However, I must say that I think there are a few things they could do to improve the experience for desktop PCs. They're already going in the right direction.

...combined with the generally cramped feeling the menu gives...

Which only gets worse the higher your screen resolution is. Not so with the 8.1 Start screen.