Photo

iOS 7 Beta - Insights and Experiences

ios apple ios 7

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

Poll: iOS 7 Beta

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Have you installed the Beta yet?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If you like it, what is that you like the most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If you don't like it, what is itching you the most?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Kyang

Kyang

Posted 12 June 2013 - 15:57

I'm a Windows Phone guy... but that is pretty cool.

Same here. WP user, but this would be nice. It's a nice evolution from the tilt in the ZuneHD.

#17 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:04

i don't get why the ipod touch 4g won't be included in this update if the actual iphone 4 is. they're pretty much the same spec wise aren't they? besides the camera

my only iOS device is my iTouch 4 and i was looking forward to an actually changed iOS but go figure apple decides they don't want to support it for the big change

#18 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:11

i don't get why the ipod touch 4g won't be included in this update if the actual iphone 4 is. they're pretty much the same spec wise aren't they? besides the camera

my only iOS device is my iTouch 4 and i was looking forward to an actually changed iOS but go figure apple decides they don't want to support it for the big change

Indeed, my son will be a little disappointed about it.

#19 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:13

Indeed, my son will be a little disappointed about it.

and it's really a kick in the groin when you think about how recently they just stopped selling the 4g too, the 5th gen iTouch has only been on the market for about 8 months

#20 0sit0

0sit0

Live and let live

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:19

I understand where they are going feature wise ( or coyping-wise) but the overall feel and look is horrendous. Ask any designer and they will agree. Of course this is Beta 1 but usually with Apple things don't change that much from beta to final. I think this might be the year I switch from iPhone to Android (or Windows Phone), Windows 8 to OS X and Xbox to PS. :woot:

#21 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:20

iOS 6 struggles a slight bit on the iPod touch 4. I suspect it *may* have to do with the touch having only 256 MB of RAM. iPhone 4, 4S, the 5th gen iPod touch, and the iPad 2 all have 512 MB of RAM.

Also the support cycles of the iPod touches tend to run across three iOS revisions: 2nd gen had iOS 2.x, 3.x, and up to 4.2.1. 3rd gen is iOS 3.x, 4.x, and up to 5.1.1. 4th gen is 4.x, 5.x, and up to 6.1.3.

#22 0sit0

0sit0

Live and let live

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:29

if it is super slow on the iPhone 4 imagine the iPod touch. (And that is without all the bells and whistles, no transparency or 3DBoard effect).

#23 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:49

The homescreen icons are definitely weird, but I've noticed that they do look better on the device than in screenshots.

There are a lot of very small details in the icons, 1px lines and such that show they were really designed for the higher density displays. I wonder how it will look on the iPad 2 / iPad Mini which don't have the retina displays.

I really like most of the general UI changes. Navigation bars, tab bars, etc. are all really nice. Some of the toolbar icons are weird, like the new 'share' icon, and it's a bit inconsistent in the UI whether it shows that icon or just the word 'share'.

Some of the animations are a bit too drawn out right now and have a bit of lag when starting, but that's the kind of thing you expect in a beta.

The new folders are kind of disappointing. You get this dramatic animation as it zooms in on the folder full-screen, but then you only get 3 rows of icons at a time even though it's taking up the whole screen. It should be able to show at least 4 or 5 rows per 'page'.

Control Center is great, although it could maybe use a link to the actual settings app.

Notification center still has those stupid tiny X buttons to clear notifications. Needs a big 'clear all' button somewhere.

#24 Kriz

Kriz

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:52

https://vine.co/v/blOUxUtaKzE
This I did not know, and is very cool!

oh my god, thats amazing!

Cant wait for it, been bored of looking at my iphone for years!

#25 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:55

The panorama feature on the lockscreen is mildly pointless but pretty damn cool

#26 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:57

I

The panorama feature on the lockscreen is mildly pointless but pretty damn cool

I would say actually makes panorama usefull so its not that pointless :D

#27 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:15

Something else I just noticed is that when you're using iTunes Radio you can get to the "star" menu (equivalent of Pandora thumbs up / thumbs down) from anywhere that the audio controls show up, like the lockscreen or Control Center. Nice touch and gives it a little edge over the competition for iOS users.

Also I've noticed myself trying to swipe the lockscreen the wrong direction a couple of times (right to left) because it feels like either way should work. It really should just let you drag either direction to unlock instead of rubber banding back to the lockscreen.

#28 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:17

Something else I just noticed is that when you're using iTunes Radio you can get to the "star" menu (equivalent of Pandora thumbs up / thumbs down) from anywhere that the audio controls show up, like the lockscreen or Control Center. Nice touch and gives it a little edge over the competition for iOS users.

Radio is completely random right? There's no Spotify on-demand feature to it, is there?

#29 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:26

Radio is completely random right? There's no Spotify on-demand feature to it, is there?

Correct, it's pretty much just Pandora but built in to iOS and with direct iTunes purchase integration.

#30 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:52

Yeah from what I understand.
But you can vote songs up and down (and say never play this again), so probably using the genius engine in the background to work out what songs you want. Should learn quite quickly and will be a nice way to discovering new music along with your existing library.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!