Photo

Titanfall

official titanfall respawn entertainment ea vince zampella pc origin xbox 360 xbox one microsoft

1230 replies to this topic

#31 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,830 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 25 June 2013 - 17:37

The reason they chose to use the Source engine is to hit the 60 FPS mark on current-gen consoles. It's coming out on the Xbox One as well as the PC and both those platforms can easily achieve more than 60 FPS. It looks like they've updated the engine on their own. One thing I noticed is the increased draw distance and size of the map shown at E3.

I can understand wanting to hit 60fps, as that's definitely something consoles should be aiming for. It's just that it's a pretty old engine now - it was great for its time it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Also, very few games have licensed the Source engine and we know that Valve is working on Source 2. That said, the footage looked great so I'm not complaining. Looking at the footage I would never have guessed it was Source.

The Source engine is old and its age shows in Portal 2 with loading screen after loading screen.

Yeah, Source has always been bad at dynamically loading assets. It has been surpassed by engines like Dunia (Far Cry 2 / 3) which can handled massive game worlds with virtually no loading screens and with very high visual fidelity (DX10/11).

#32 OP TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,533 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 19:38

IGNs vid of the Gamescom showing

http://www.ign.com/v...rst-impressions

I do like the epilogue bit and mobility.  Seems pretty generic action gamey otherwise, but with those bits added and the SP/MP merge still a unique experience. :)

#33 Silpheed2K

Silpheed2K

Neowinian

• 299 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 22:56

#34 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,830 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 21 August 2013 - 23:06

^^ Very impressive.

#35 OP TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,533 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 22:51

I like seeing this game, I like reading about this game, I want to play it already dang it :p :)

http://www.ign.com/a...-the-first-time

There's a lot written in there so I'd rather not cherry pick quotes.

#36 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 9,159 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 23:00

I can understand wanting to hit 60fps, as that's definitely something consoles should be aiming for. It's just that it's a pretty old engine now - it was great for its time it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Also, very few games have licensed the Source engine and we know that Valve is working on Source 2. That said, the footage looked great so I'm not complaining. Looking at the footage I would never have guessed it was Source.

Yeah, Source has always been bad at dynamically loading assets. It has been surpassed by engines like Dunia (Far Cry 2 / 3) which can handled massive game worlds with virtually no loading screens and with very high visual fidelity (DX10/11).

And the Source engine (depending on what they used) can also hit 60 fps on practically any PC that can run Windows 7.  (The Portal series, HL2, etc, are Source-based, and can hit 60+fps at 1920x1080 on Windows 7 - running on dead hardware - and that is without multicore optimizing.  Throw in optimizing for multicore, which consoles WILL need, and consoles may need to - at most - sacrifice resolution.  The same would apply to portable PCs, naturally.)

The closest I've seen to what Titanfall promises is Firefall - which isn't even close.

True - you wouldn't have.

The absolute SCARY part is that of all the games that are KNOWN to use the Source engine so far, a mere two (the two Portal games) have gotten the most out of the engine, and even they left a LOT of stuff on the table.

You DID read my comments correctly - even the original Portal used more of the Source engine's capability than HL2 did, which is rather embarrassing, since HL2 was after the original Portal.

In other words, we're talking massively unused (not merely underused) potential.  (However, this isn't exactly surprising, either - look at the amount of unused/underused potential in two other gaming engines that have been more widely used than even Source - Unreal Engine 3 and CRYEngine 3.  We ALL know that not so much as ONE CRYEngine 3 title or project - of ANY sort - has gotten everything that the engine is capable of.  However, we also know largely why.)

#37 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

• 5,445 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 20:46

This is a 100% purchase (Xbox One), wonder how different the X360 version will be.

#38 _BeanZ_

_BeanZ_

Neowinian

• 724 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:21

You DID read my comments correctly - even the original Portal used more of the Source engine's capability than HL2 did, which is rather embarrassing, since HL2 was after the original Portal.

Hate to derail the thread with pointless pedantry but:

Half-Life 2 - November 2004

Portal - October 2007

#39 SnoopZ

SnoopZ

Resistance is Futile

• 944 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 18:05

Respawn have announced Titanfall will be released on March 11th in North America and March 13th in Europe. :)

http://uk.ign.com/ar...ition-announced

#40 RatherLargeBear

RatherLargeBear

Neowinian

• 1,192 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:23

Collectors Edition:

10415650253_0532d5ea22_b.jpg
Titanfall: Collector’s Edition by Major Nelson, on Flickr

#41 max0r

max0r

Neowinian

• 21 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 21:55

game looks great , we gonna have a bussssyy gaming season ! :D :D

#42 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,692 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:32

This is a game I still can't make my mind up on, im kinda bored of FPS's atm but i know this has a different twist.

There doesn't seem to be enough info about what the game is actually about, i get its FPS, i believe its an MP only but I would like to know more about the "modes" you can play. If its your standard TDM, CTF etc then i can see this getting very boring very quickly. It needs to add  some sort of objective based element that can be made up of mulitple elements - go here collect a bomb, carry bomb to location, escape kinda stuff.

#43 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

• 2,277 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 18:10

The Demo was great, plays fast and the Titans are great fun.

#44 max0r

max0r

Neowinian

• 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 22:31

wasn't blown away, but it looks like it could be a lot of fun online..

#45 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• 25,221 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:23

This game has failed to impress me at all so far but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt next year. I miss console FPS so would like something good to come along soon.