Looking forward. This will be one of the titles I'll be getting as soon as they come out. Straight download, no disc. Copy all my games to an external just in case I'm going somewhere or just need to backup so I don't have to redownload again.

I couldn't believe that when I first read it but checking the Wikipedia page it does seem that it uses a modified version of the Source engine. What I'd be interested to know is whether this game will be the first to make use of the Source 2 engine or incorporate at least some next-gen elements. Still, it's good to see games pushing for 60fps on next-gen consoles.

This game looks like the true spiritual sequel to Tribes 2, only adapted for a modern audience (which is a good thing in my opinion).

The reason they chose to use the Source engine is to hit the 60 FPS mark on current-gen consoles. It's coming out on the Xbox One as well as the PC and both those platforms can easily achieve more than 60 FPS. It looks like they've updated the engine on their own. One thing I noticed is the increased draw distance and size of the map shown at E3. The Source engine is old and its age shows in Portal 2 with loading screen after loading screen.

The reason they chose to use the Source engine is to hit the 60 FPS mark on current-gen consoles. It's coming out on the Xbox One as well as the PC and both those platforms can easily achieve more than 60 FPS. It looks like they've updated the engine on their own. One thing I noticed is the increased draw distance and size of the map shown at E3.

I can understand wanting to hit 60fps, as that's definitely something consoles should be aiming for. It's just that it's a pretty old engine now - it was great for its time it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Also, very few games have licensed the Source engine and we know that Valve is working on Source 2. That said, the footage looked great so I'm not complaining. Looking at the footage I would never have guessed it was Source.

The Source engine is old and its age shows in Portal 2 with loading screen after loading screen.

Yeah, Source has always been bad at dynamically loading assets. It has been surpassed by engines like Dunia (Far Cry 2 / 3) which can handled massive game worlds with virtually no loading screens and with very high visual fidelity (DX10/11).

• 1 month later...

I can understand wanting to hit 60fps, as that's definitely something consoles should be aiming for. It's just that it's a pretty old engine now - it was great for its time it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Also, very few games have licensed the Source engine and we know that Valve is working on Source 2. That said, the footage looked great so I'm not complaining. Looking at the footage I would never have guessed it was Source.

Yeah, Source has always been bad at dynamically loading assets. It has been surpassed by engines like Dunia (Far Cry 2 / 3) which can handled massive game worlds with virtually no loading screens and with very high visual fidelity (DX10/11).

And the Source engine (depending on what they used) can also hit 60 fps on practically any PC that can run Windows 7.  (The Portal series, HL2, etc, are Source-based, and can hit 60+fps at 1920x1080 on Windows 7 - running on dead hardware - and that is without multicore optimizing.  Throw in optimizing for multicore, which consoles WILL need, and consoles may need to - at most - sacrifice resolution.  The same would apply to portable PCs, naturally.)

The closest I've seen to what Titanfall promises is Firefall - which isn't even close.

True - you wouldn't have.

The absolute SCARY part is that of all the games that are KNOWN to use the Source engine so far, a mere two (the two Portal games) have gotten the most out of the engine, and even they left a LOT of stuff on the table.

You DID read my comments correctly - even the original Portal used more of the Source engine's capability than HL2 did, which is rather embarrassing, since HL2 was after the original Portal.

In other words, we're talking massively unused (not merely underused) potential.  (However, this isn't exactly surprising, either - look at the amount of unused/underused potential in two other gaming engines that have been more widely used than even Source - Unreal Engine 3 and CRYEngine 3.  We ALL know that not so much as ONE CRYEngine 3 title or project - of ANY sort - has gotten everything that the engine is capable of.  However, we also know largely why.)

• 2 weeks later...

You DID read my comments correctly - even the original Portal used more of the Source engine's capability than HL2 did, which is rather embarrassing, since HL2 was after the original Portal.

Hate to derail the thread with pointless pedantry but:

Half-Life 2 - November 2004

Portal - October 2007

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is a game I still can't make my mind up on, im kinda bored of FPS's atm but i know this has a different twist.

There doesn't seem to be enough info about what the game is actually about, i get its FPS, i believe its an MP only but I would like to know more about the "modes" you can play. If its your standard TDM, CTF etc then i can see this getting very boring very quickly. It needs to add  some sort of objective based element that can be made up of mulitple elements - go here collect a bomb, carry bomb to location, escape kinda stuff.

This game has failed to impress me at all so far but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt next year. I miss console FPS so would like something good to come along soon.

This game has failed to impress me at all so far but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt next year. I miss console FPS so would like something good to come along soon.

It doesn't look too impressive from a graphical standpoint but the gameplay looks tight. And that's what matters to me the most. Sure, pretty graphics are nice but it isn't enough to have fun. I'm looking forward to it but I don't know which version to get (PC or Xbox One).

• 2 months later...

Titanfall's Custom Controller is Ready for Drop in March

ku-xlarge.png

A limited edition Titanfall Xbox One controller (that's it, pictured) will be available at the game's launch this March, Microsoft said this morning. It will cost $64.99.

The design is meant to evoke "a piece of military spec hardware transported from the universe of Titanfall," said the lead artist for Respawn Entertainment, makers of the game. The look here is inspired by the "C-101 carbine," a weapon carried by the pilots of the giant titan mechs.

Both the game and the controller launch March 11 in North America. Here's the box for the controller:

original.png

Source: Kotaku