Photo
xbox one

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#46 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:40

So your saying games can't be created where the Internet is the main draw... CoD, Halo, fighting games, sports games... Notice what they circle around now,,, the Internet... It's the main draw... Street Fighter Tournys, CoD Tournys, Halo Tournys... All built around the web.., yes theirs a single player component to these games... But man don't those online features get more and more fleshed out...
Yes a game console is about games... That's a given, that a lot of people don't understand... But the Internet helps break from that same old and more creativity can be sparked... For $60 a game, I want more... If I were still getting what was the Ps1, and N64 days, I wouldn't mind... But $60 a game, and you beat the game in 6hrs... Yes i want more... And the Internet can give it...

I'm honestly not sure what any of this has to do with your original point is what I'm trying to get at. Removing the online checks or region locking (the drm) won't take away any of that functionality you're talking about and I'm not sure why you think it would.

Just to prove that point, most games that MS has showcased so far are cross platform. That alone proves that what you think Microsoft is capable of doing with their console isn't so special.

Titanfall (a Microsoft "exclusive") for example, will have a pc version. And on the other side of the fence, Destiny, will also have a pc (rumored), xbox 360/one, ps3, and a ps4 version. Those are both console games that have a lot of co-op multiplayer features built into them.

#47 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:44

I'm honestly not sure what any of this has to do with your original point is what I'm trying to get at. Removing the online checks or region locking (the drm) won't take away any of that functionality you're talking about and I'm not sure why you think it would.

That's not what I'm saying at all...

#48 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:47

So what are you saying?

Nobody was moaning about the functionality, only the ridiculous restrictions.

#49 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:50

This referring to consoles and Internet... We already know how of is based...

My point is that gaming jumped to the internet about 14 years before Microsoft even thought of building the first Xbox, let alone the Xbone.

If you build a gaming PC anytime in the last 20 years and didn't put a network card in it, people would have thought you were daft. That it's taken consoles so long to catch up is more laughable than innovative.

#50 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:50

Then I'm sorry to say that you are not making your point very well.

#51 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:51

This post was suppose to be about, how a company (no matter if we think if it were right or wrong to do so) who had a vision and based it around always being connected to the web, no matter what... And how people kick and scream not fair because their ISP's lack of infrastructure isn't up to snuff or they just don't have Internet at all is blaming the company for this...

Where they believe the Internet is that killer feature...
And guess what? In parts of the world it is your ISP who is holding you back, from seeing the vision a company is trying to head towards... Rather you like their vision or not.

Nothing more... Nothing less...

#52 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:54

This post was suppose to be about, how a company (no matter if we think if it were right or wrong to do so) who had a vision and based it around always being connected to the web, no matter what... And how people kick and scream not fair because their ISP's lack of infrastructure isn't up to snuff or they just don't have Internet at all is blaming the company for this...

Where they believe the Internet is that killer feature...
And guess what? In parts of the world it is your ISP who is holding you back, from seeing the vision a company is trying to head towards... Rather you like their vision or not.

Nothing more... Nothing less...

And? What we're saying is that nothing MS was trying to do required that constant internet connection. There are so many reasons why requiring an online check in system was bad and not enough good reasons. MS would have been stupid to keep that "feature" when the competition doesn't have anything similar.

And you say "no matter if we think it were right or wrong" in one sentence but then in the very next sentence say people were wrong to think the way we did in wanting the online crap removed and that it's some one elses fault.

#53 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:55

But we've already covered this above. It's not the ISP's fault for not having the technology in place. It would be Microsoft's fault for assuming that the technology is in place and moving forwards with their idea. Ultimately it would end up hurting them. Not the customers, not the ISP's, but Microsoft.

#54 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:01

And? What we're saying is that nothing MS was trying to do required that constant internet connection. There are so many reasons why requiring an online check in system was bad and not enough good reasons. MS would have been stupid to keep that "feature" when the competition doesn't have anything similar.

And you say "no matter if we think it were right or wrong" in one sentence but then in the very next sentence say people were wrong to think the way we did in wanting the online crap removed and that it's some one elses fault.

Ofcourse there are reasons for the online-check in every 24 hours. Primarily for the family sharing, which by itself outweighs the cons personally.

#55 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:02

You are missing the point of what people were moaning about.

It was not the vision of always being connected that was the problem, or even that their internet wasn't good enough to make full use of what was being offered.

It was the fact that we were being forced to, for no good reason, and all the problems that it brings, up to and including ###### off and buy a 360 you worthless peasant.

Why is it so ######ing hard for people to understand that those features can still be implemented, without such restrictive DRM?

#56 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:04

You are missing the point of what people were moaning about.

It was not the vision of always being connected that was the problem, or even that their internet wasn't good enough to make full use of what was being offered.

It was the fact that we were being forced to, for no good reason, and all the problems that it brings, up to and including **** off and buy a 360 you worthless peasant.

Why is it so ****ing hard for people to understand that those features can still be implemented, without such restrictive DRM?

They can't without the model being exploited. For a digital game library for work, you need a call home every so often, you just have to.

#57 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:06

But we've already covered this above. It's not the ISP's fault for not having the technology in place. It would be Microsoft's fault for assuming that the technology is in place and moving forwards with their idea. Ultimately it would end up hurting them. Not the customers, not the ISP's, but Microsoft.

But that's the thing... They knew ISP would be lacking in some demographics... Look where the XB1 was launching first...Most of those areas have some kind of Internet... And MS was basically saying blame your ISP... You knew my product was based around the Internet...and that's what I'm pointing out...
Yes MS left people out in the cold on purpos (even i can see that it was deliberate) and Judging the region, it wa due to lack of good Internet or $$$...

#58 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:06

Ofcourse there are reasons for the online-check in every 24 hours. Primarily for the family sharing, which by itself outweighs the cons personally.

I'm not sure how the presence or lack of an online check would have anything to do with the family sharing, personally.

They can't without the model being exploited. For a digital game library for work, you need a call home every so often, you just have to.

Why do you have to? Says who? Microsoft?

#59 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:09

I'm not sure how the presence or lack of an online check would have anything to do with the family sharing, personally.

Well that just shows how you have no knowledge on the topic we're discussing.

Let me give an example. You buy a new game, install it and add it to your game share library. After you do that, you stop playing it and your mate downloads it. Your mate then starts playing the game and unplugs his connection. You then start playing the game. 2 full games, no restriction. 

With check-in, easily solved.

#60 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:09

But that's the thing... They knew ISP would be lacking in some demographics... Look where the XB1 was launching first...Most of those areas have some kind of Internet... And MS was basically saying blame your ISP... You knew my product was based around the Internet...and that's what I'm pointing out...
Yes MS left people out in the cold on purpos (even i can see that it was deliberate) and Judging the region, it wa due to lack of good Internet or $$$...

From a business point of view that's ludicrous, telling potential customers to bugger off. That's all I'm saying. I can't defend their decision, and it surprises me that anyone can.