Windows 8 and Hyper-V

Ok, I need a little bit of help here, I'm running a Windows Vista 32 bit guest OS, and trying to connect it to the outside Internet, but so far, I'm coming up short. I have the network adapter configured (as far as I know), but when I install the guest OS, a network adapter isn't being found, nor can I manually install one.

Help me! :cry:

Something's not right here, each time I try to enable Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch, it kills completely kills all networking connectivity...???

EDIT: Force uninstalled and re-installed Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch under adapter properties, and now I can't create a new external connection in the Virtual Switch Manager.

What's your host OS?
What version of Hyper-V?
What service pack of Vista do you have installed?
Have you installed integration services in your guest?

Reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794868(v=ws.10).aspx

Host is Windows 8, and it's a clean install of Vista RTM.

yeah it's hilariously annoying, 

Unless you're specifically learning about Hyper-V then i highly recommend a switch to VirtualBox, much more powerful on client machines and can run anything and everything. I use virtualbox on my desktop and hyper-V on my servers. 

yeah it's hilariously annoying, 

Unless you're specifically learning about Hyper-V then i highly recommend a switch to VirtualBox, much more powerful on client machines and can run anything and everything. I use virtualbox on my desktop and hyper-V on my servers. 

Yeah, I'm trying to poke around it a little, never used it before, plus, I was hoping to run a few older games that don't fully support 7 or 8.

Try going in to the VM's settings, removed the network adapter and then add a legacy network adapter and point that to your external enabled switch.

Try going in to the VM's settings, removed the network adapter and then add a legacy network adapter and point that to your external enabled switch.

Oh, heck, that worked... Still doesn't reason why Microsoft doesn't support their own damn operating systems with this thing.

Virtualbox is good if you want to run XP etc.. it's also really good at other OS's and the VHD's it creates work fine on Hyper-V

Im pleased the question has been answered but when you've had enough of Hyper-V on the desktop i would recommend looking into VirtualBox. 

Yeah, I've used VirtualBox before, and quite like it. Chances are I'll be going back to it before long.

Oh, heck, that worked... Still doesn't reason why Microsoft doesn't support their own damn operating systems with this thing.

Because Windows Home Edition's do not contain any virtualization rights at all.  Its flat out forbidden. Technically you are in violation of your license agreement by putting anything less than Professional editions (aka Vista Business) within a VM. You may not agree with this... but then again... you kind of already did... :p

http://download.microsoft.com/Documents/UseTerms/Windows%20Vista_Home%20Premium_English_b6fbe7e6-f312-4692-8aee-f5b3d60987b4.pdf

That said, you can probably use Orca to generate an MST transform that would obliterate the OS requirement check within the Integration Services MSI installer.  I've never needed to try as I've only ever used Vista Enterprise and Ultimate editions within Hyper-V. I doubt there is a functional limitation on the part of Home Edition to receive the drivers once the MSI OS check has been overridden...

Even easier, you may be able to just extract the network drivers from the CAB file and then try to directly install them through device manager.

you may be able to just extract the network drivers from the CAB file and then try to directly install them through device manager.

This in fact does appear to be the generally accepted solution for getting Integration Services working on unsupported editions of Windows.  This is a much better option than using the slow old legacy adapter, so you may want to give it a try.