Halloween humbug gives out fat kids note

Imagine going trick-or-treating for candy this Halloween and getting a critical letter in your candy bag.  

That?s what may be happening to some kids in North Dakota this year. One woman called into the Y94 radio station in Fargo this week to say she doesn?t plan to just give Halloween candy to all of the children who come to her door.  

She said she also plans to give a sealed letter to any overweight children who visit her, which the children are then supposed to give to their parents. In the letter, the woman plans to tell the parents that they are acting irresponsibly by sending their children out to seek candy when they are already overweight.

The letter, which Y94 says was emailed to them by the woman, reads in part:

?You [sic] child is, in my opinion, moderately obese and should not be consuming sugar and treats to the extent of some children this Halloween season.

My hope is that you will step up as a parent and ration candy this Halloween and not allow your child to continue these unhealthy eating habits.?

When asked by the hosts of the show why she didn?t give out toys or stickers instead of candy, the woman, who identified herself only as Cheryl, said she didn?t want to be the ?mean lady? in the neighborhood. The woman also said that she doesn?t plan to deny candy to any of the children who visit her house.

?Well really, I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight. It?s just, these kids, I can see them and they?re struggling to stay healthy and they want to play with the other kids, and I think it?s really irresponsible for parents to send them out looking for free candy just because all the other kids are doing it,? the woman said.

Corey ?Zero? Schaffer, one of radio hosts who conducted the interview, said they plan to follow up with the woman to see if she carried out her plans.

?I?d love to have her back on Friday morning and see if she went through with giving those letters out,? Schaffer told FoxNews.com.

source

post-37120-0-22419800-1383152822.png

In my experience, parents don't appreciate unsolicited advice about child rearing, in verbal or letter form  :laugh:

• Like 3

Lollies are good for you if eaten in a certain amount. A single mars bar a day won't make you fat if you do labour work. Unused energy makes you fat. If you do not use up the energy gained by eating the mars bar, then you will get fat.

Many of parents could benefit from this little piece of advice. She wasn't degrading or insulting in the letter, just stating a fact.

this week to say she doesn?t plan to just give Halloween candy to all of the children who come to her door.  

Then don't contribute in Halloween at all, she should keep the porch light off. It's a bit hypocritical, pass out candy but at the same time basically looking down on over weight children. Even if that's not her intent, kids would still easily take it that way. 

I think we as a "world" community should had them bag fulls of candy and stop padding all of life.  Eventually natural selection will kick back in, and we'll actually have the better genetics finally in full speed again.  Stop getting in Darwin's way at let evolution do its work.   Can't stop yourself from eating?  Lets not get in your way.   Can't stop yourself from being a bad driver?  Here's the car with no air-bags / padding.  Eventually you'll learn or die, its just better that you take yourself out instead of causing any harm to anyone else.

I half agree with this. The message she's trying to address is a good one. There is a huge problem with weight in the US, I just think she could've addressed it in a different way.

Some people know how to take the fun out of everything.

No doubt. I'd call her a flat out b**ch! Who does she think she is, some savior, or something? What do her kids look like?

Whether the message is "just stating facts" or not, it is not her place to do this.

• Like 1

Halloween is a commercial holiday by chocolate and sweet/candy companies anyway, so this makes a 100% sense. Stop feeding your children garbage and take responsibility! 

No doubt. I'd call her a flat out b**ch! Who does she think she is, some savior, or something? What do her kids look like?

Whether the message is "just stating facts" or not, it is not her place to do this.

I think it was a publicity stunt. I mean, why even say anything at all before the event? Just give the normal kids real candy and give the over weight kids something diet. No need to say a word. People will get the message.

Then don't contribute in Halloween at all, she should keep the porch light off. It's a bit hypocritical, pass out candy but at the same time basically looking down on over weight children. Even if that's not her intent, kids would still easily take it that way. 

Everyone wants to do their part to make the world a better place.

I agree with them. There are way too many obese people (especially in the U.S.) and the trend doesn't seem to be noticeably declining.

People, naturally, aren't built to feel, look, act like that. Might as well get at 'em while they're young...