Do you perfer manual or automatic transmission?

Manual or automatic transmission?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. What do you perfer to drive in a car using manual transmission or automatic transmission?

Automatic for me.  I've driven manual (enough to learn the basics). .. however for me driving isn't about driving so much as getting for A-B quicker than walking, and for cheaper than paying for public transportation.. and taking stuff from A-B.   I found I got frustrated with driving manual.. couldn't just go on Gas, then on Brake.. there was 5 other steps in the middle.

Never found someone willing to let me learn manual on his car, so I only drive them in racing sims. That said, I drive a CVT and really love the smoothness of acceleration and consistently low RPM. I don't think I could go back to standard automatic. Most of my time behind the wheel is in traffic jams so I doubt driving a manual would bring me much enjoyement. CVTs are the future of eco-friendly cars IMO.

Never found someone willing to let me learn manual on his car, so I only drive them in racing sims. That said, I drive a CVT and really love the smoothness of acceleration and consistently low RPM. I don't think I could go back to standard automatic.

You are the first person I have ever heard say anything positive about CVT's. I hate them with a passion! 

This.  I have to worry enough about the idiots driving around me that I'd rather not have to divert any of my attention towards shifting.

I've found I pay much more attention to driving when I actually get to be involved in the process, and a third pedal does that for me. Automatics leave too much room for focusing on everything else...

If you're driving a 'dull car', it's not going to be fun regardless if you have an automatic or manual.

I disagree. For me, a manual can add a little bit of fun to even an otherwise dull car. Sure it won't be as fun as a fun car with a manual...

I prefer manual.  Wife prefers automatic.  So yea, our vehicles are automatics.

That's how I ended up driving only automatics for a year or so. I decided this was one of the battles I was going to fight... that's how much I dislike automatics. Now we have one of each... if she wants to drive my car, she can learn to.

You are the first person I have ever heard say anything positive about CVT's. I hate them with a passion! 

Really? Perhaps you drove an early bad one? The only bad thing I can say about mine (Nissan Versa 2008 CVT) is that it's a bit slow to respond when I press the accelerator with force and suddenly (half a second of delay), but that's such a rare occurence in my daily driving that it's really offset by all the advantages. I also hear that newer CVTs include a planetary gear for more manual-like reaction at low speeds and have a much improved dynamic range, so perhaps even that concern has been addressed.

Really? Perhaps you drove an early bad one? The only bad thing I can say about mine (Nissan Versa 2008 CVT) is that it's a bit slow to respond when I press the accelerator with force and suddenly (half a second of delay), but that's such a rare occurence in my daily driving that it's really offset by all the advantages. I also hear that newer CVTs include a planetary gear for more manual-like reaction at low speeds and have a much improved dynamic range, so perhaps even that concern has been addressed.

Nope, rented a 2011 Nissan Versa. It was slow, loud, and annoying. It was not efficient - my '05 Civic from back in the day would get 38-42mpg on the highway (summer day w/AC ). I couldn't achieve that with the Versa going the same routes I did with my Civic. I feel bad for Subaru/Nissan owners - they just push CVT's on almost their entire lineup. 

I have yet to drive a manual car but I assume it probably better. Right now I like driving an automatic.

I like driving a manual transmission in Gran Turismo :laugh:

I think each has a place - can't beat a nice lazy automatic box on a long cruise. But I do prefer manual.

Still never driven a car with DSG though - really want to try that out! 

I had a 2013 Altima as a rental last year, and the only thing that I didn't like about the CVT was that slight delay.

Overall, it was strange not having gear shifts, but it got really good gas mileage which I would think far outweighed the minor nuisances.

Nope, rented a 2011 Nissan Versa. It was slow, loud, and annoying. It was not efficient - my '05 Civic from back in the day would get 38-42mpg on the highway (summer day w/AC ). I couldn't achieve that with the Versa going the same routes I did with my Civic. I feel bad for Subaru/Nissan owners - they just push CVT's on almost their entire lineup. 

I take good note of your experience, but in official ratings, CVTs consistently achieve better fuel economy than regular automatics and manuals. They're lighter, smaller, the absence of gaps in gear ratios translates in smoother accelerations, less strain on most moving parts, and allows the engine to work at its peak efficiency more often. This does mean the engine will rev up more if you accelerate hard, but it also means the engine revs down more with a light foot - I love my low RPMs when driving around the city. CVTs are also kickass in mountainous terrain - they seamlessly adapt to the varying inclination of terrain whereas fixed-ratio transmissions struggle to find the ideal gear.

I take good note of your experience, but in official ratings, CVTs consistently achieve better fuel economy than regular automatics and manuals. They're lighter, smaller, the absence of gaps in gear ratios translates in smoother accelerations, less strain on most moving parts, and allows the engine to work at its peak efficiency more often. This does mean the engine will rev up more if you accelerate hard, but it also means the engine revs down more with a light foot - I love my low RPMs when driving around the city. CVTs are also kickass in mountainous terrain - they seamlessly adapt to the varying inclination of terrain whereas fixed-ratio transmissions struggle to find the ideal gear.

LOL @ MPG. :D

?

Sorry, just being obnoxious and laughing at the thought of high MPGs. I think I've owned one car that got over 20 MPG regularly.

I think every one voted for mannual was because they are familiar with it and just are Used to shifting.

For me, I think Automatic is pretty awesome...I can focus on something else, others' dangers and faults, talking with my little daughter....and so.

My first car is Mitsubushi 1994 Lacer automatic.I insisted on buying automatic and never learnt mannual in the first place.I will always drive automatic in such heavy traffic

I don't know how to drive an automatic. :(

yaayy...I don't know how to drive mannual

Auto can be a bit of a pain in some cases, when you want to put your foot down and the car takes a few seconds to realise what's going on.

This may not be as apparent in bigger cars but is definitely apparent in the smaller vehicles I have driven.

Manual all the way. Automatic is convenient, but there's nothing quite like the feeling of dumping my S2000 into third or fourth at 60MPH for an epic overtaking maneuver and a wonderful accompanying soundtrack :D

As Steve also said, humans are generally more in tune with their intentions than an automatic gearbox is, so manuals are mostly more responsive (at least in my experience). When I put my foot down, I'm generally wanting to go faster at that moment, not when the gearbox finally decides the correct gear. I've driven an automatic Aston Martin Vantage on a track, and it was probably one of the most frustrating experiences of my life.