Do you perfer manual or automatic transmission?

Manual or automatic transmission?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. What do you perfer to drive in a car using manual transmission or automatic transmission?

I think every one voted for mannual was because they are familiar with it and just are Used to shifting.

Definitely not. I know in some European countries manuals are far more common, but in the US manuals are only driven by people who prefer a manual like me.

It very much depends on how you feel about cars though. People who are more into cars may enjoy a manual more. I just feel like it makes driving so much more fun.

Plus manuals have less maintenance issues. Automatics are a pain in the ass and expensive to work on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Manual; every time i drive my car it's like driving Daytona USA in manual transmission with "Rooling Car!" song in the back of my head...

Manual all the way.  When I was going to elementary school, I was shift the gears for my dad from the passenger seat.  At age 15, I drove my first vehicle - 1980 VW bug, 4 speed manual.  I snook it out at night with my brother.  Took me a short while to figure out the clutch and had that thing going in no time.

Took my driver's license test in my '83 Accord 5-speed manual.  Since then, I've owned around 10 vehicles, all except one were manual transmissions.  I had a Silverado that was automatic for 2-3 years.  The whole time I wished it was a manual.  If it weren't for the fact that I had a Kawasaki Ninja 6R to relieve my manual transmission cravings, I would've sold it a lot sooner.

I just picked myself up a 2014 Mustang GT convertible with the 5.0 and 6-speed manual.  It's music to my ears to go thru the gears and have the wonderful engine soundtrack with it.

I hope I never buy an automatic ever again.

• Like 2

I've driven both and I have to say I have no issues with either, but I do prefer automatic. This is mainly due to the fact I drive a lot around town / busy places and an automatic is a more "relaxed" way of driving.

I'd have to agree, it all depends on the traffic.  I drive through Chicago daily and it's extremely common to travel 6-8 miles at no faster than 10-15 mph the entire way.  A manual transmission would be a pain.  In moderate to light traffic, I'd take a manual any day of the week.  I just feel more "connected" to the car.

PDK :) ALL THE WAY.

TRACK - SMG/DSG/DCT/PDK

MOUNTAINS/CANYONS - SMG/DSG/DCT/PDK

DAILY DRIVING - PDK/DCT/DSG

I grew up with a manual and love it immensely. Many purists says that rowing is still the only way to go but the manual will continue to be pushed out to make way for the 7/8/9 speed transmissions.

City commuters would argue with the MT school of thought as it is not practical to own a MT in a city with heavy traffic or hills.

With many of new sports cars going towards only giving the consumer a single choice it is clearly moving towards the Dual Clutch Transmissions and the likes. PDK being the best of them at the moment. Mercedes loves their Auto-Tranny but they are moving towards the DSG/DCT as well.

Porsche for their Pinnacle Track Car the GT3/GT3RS is only offering one option and that's the PDK.

Many American Car Manufacturers still provide a MT option but even with that the majority of their sales are AT's not MT's.

I have learned to embrace technology and with that comes more enjoyment while on the road driving through mountains and track.

My grip with auto is the car moves forward automatically with out feet on the pedals unlike standard trans. Also Auto you have to keep your foot on the break to prevent it from going forward, but with manual I can keep in in N and I might press the break a few times.

Manual is more fun. Better with a faster vehicle.

Auto is great for multitasking, eating or the next time I brake an arm....

I drive both auto and stick vehicles regularly.

Hello,

it's a bit slow to respond when I press the accelerator with force and suddenly (half a second of delay)

This happens in my car a lot too. I cleaned the EGR valve and it responds way faster to accelerator pressing. It might not be a car problem but a small fix.

I don't know how to drive an automatic. :(

You dont even have to know how to drive to drive a automatic.

BTW, any lefties driving a manual? Sorry to get offtopic on my own topic :p

I used to be a die-hard manual tranny fan. I'm not like that any more.

DSG is my gearbox of choice these days. Technically speaking, it's a manual transmission with full automatic or semi-manual control. I love it for its technological advantages - how fast and how seamlessly it changes gears.

I still appreciate manual with a clutch. It has its uses. For example, if I lived in a mountainous area with lots twisting turns, I'd only go for manual. If I ever buy a weekend only car, it most likely come with manual.

However, since I live in a big city with lots of traffic jams, manual tranny stops being fun for daily commute. Don't get me wrong, I change gears subconsciously. It's just that it becomes too tiresome in everyday really heavy traffic situations.

Nothing like a manual tranny, especially in a go fast car, unless you like being bored doing nothing!!

Had a 4 speed manual installed in my '65 Olds Cutlass F-85 and debating on doing the same to my '66 Plymouth Satellite also.

My grip with auto is the car moves forward automatically with out feet on the pedals unlike standard trans. Also Auto you have to keep your foot on the break to prevent it from going forward, but with manual I can keep in in N and I might press the break a few times.

You're doing it wrong. If you don't want the car to go forward automatically, put it in reverse.

Manual - I like the feeling of having full control. Automatic won't allow high revs (okay, there are ways around it, but you'll need some extra "driving lessons").

Manual - I like the feeling of having full control. Automatic won't allow high revs (okay, there are ways around it, but you'll need some extra "driving lessons"). Triptronic is not manual either.

exactly. Most of the times instead of easing into my braking for a traffic light, i'd rather do it like this: downshift to 3rd, then if times for 2nd slowly bring up my clutch as i decelerate, whilst easing into the brakes. It seems more complicated, but feels so much better than usually , braking, then putting gear into neutral, then stop at traffic lights, and put it into 1st gear, Dunno why. Also balancing my clutch and petrol on steep inclines, like those multi level parking lots at mall/cbs areas is deeply satisfying. It takes practice and skills. And the only reason I put my gear into neutral before stopping is incase something happens, i can quickly at a split second shift into the right gear and try to deflect the situation about to happen. Down shifting gear and lifting slowly up the clutch useful for speed bumps, instead of braking you use the anti momentum of the clutch being brought up to slow down the car, go over the hump and then shift back up again to 3rd.

I love Manual transmission. But the traffic of Mumbai is too much. I wish my car changes transmission to Auto in those situations.

I've come to accept driving automatic given it's the standard here in Canada. Covering a lot more distances and driving more so it makes sense. If they could get the fuel economy to match manual it would be great.

Manual is more fun. Better with a faster vehicle.

Auto is great for multitasking, eating or the next time I brake an arm....

I drive both auto and stick vehicles regularly.

A manual in gear also would try to go forward without a foot on the pedal--except it stalls unless you give it gas.

Like a manual, you can put the auto in neutral as well.  Don't get me wrong, I like manuals better too, but not for a reason like this.

Manual. I drive because I enjoy driving, and changing gears form a big chunk of that enjoyment. The only time when it feels like a chore is when the traffic is too fast to be comfortable in 2nd gear, but too slow to be so in third (or too fast for 1st, but too slow for 2nd). Constantly switching between 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd is irritating.

• Like 1