Do you perfer manual or automatic transmission?

Manual or automatic transmission?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. What do you perfer to drive in a car using manual transmission or automatic transmission?

I only live 4 kilometres to work so a manual is the only way to go

Having no rush hour traffic to deal with is a plus

I had to search hard on the web to find my vehicle with a manual

It would be boring with a automatic and not worth the driving experience which i enjoy.

A manual in gear also would try to go forward without a foot on the pedal--except it stalls unless you give it gas.

Like a manual, you can put the auto in neutral as well.  Don't get me wrong, I like manuals better too, but not for a reason like this.

The difference being natural and fluid motion to put the vehicle in N. I don't believe anyone puts an automatic car in N almost ever.

But when in a manual vehicle your already shifting down or already riding N and its as simple (and natural) as moving your hand over. This should be with out saying to my original statement if your custom to both standard and automatic transmission.

The difference being natural and fluid motion to put the vehicle in N. I don't believe anyone puts an automatic car in N almost ever.

But when in a manual vehicle your already shifting down or already riding N and its as simple (and natural) as moving your hand over. This should be with out saying to my original statement if your custom to both standard and automatic transmission.

Hard to get less fluid than bumping it forward. Neutral isn't locked on automatics(doesn't require you to be stopped or foot on the brake).

You just find it more natural  with a manual because you are used to it.

Hard to get less fluid than bumping it forward. Neutral isn't locked on automatics(doesn't require you to be stopped or foot on the brake).

You just find it more natural  with a manual because you are used to it.

Your trying to make an argument that is unique to you. This is NOT common. In manual your constantly shifting and shifting in N is a no brainer. with automatic there is no reason to be shifting unless your changing directions, parking or changing into 1, 2 or 3rd. I know perfectly how both transmissions function and how they are meant to be used (but thanks for explaining it to me like I had no idea). Shifting into neutral on an auto on a daily basis just causes unnecessary wear and recommend against. Shifting to N in Manuel is safe and normal. 

Um, is this argument for whether shifting into neutral in an automatic, is an attempt for saving fuel? As modern auto's if left in drive, and are engine braking, don't use any fuel.

(if not just ignore this post)

Automatics are a much easier transmission to use and are better for traffic driving over a standard.

I have always owned standard transmissions. I will not buy an automatic for the fact that they are expensive to rebuild when they break down. Standard transmissions are stronger and cheaper to repair because it is usually the clutch that wears out.

Manual all the way. Fun to drive, becomes second nature a d you can deal with stop and go traffic if you know what you are doing.

of cause you can deal with it.   however, after 1 year of 1 hour in traffic, i certainly prefer to drive automatic.

i love manual, for anything else other then the daily commute..   there is no fun engaging with the car if you stop all the time

Your trying to make an argument that is unique to you. This is NOT common. In manual your constantly shifting and shifting in N is a no brainer. with automatic there is no reason to be shifting unless your changing directions, parking or changing into 1, 2 or 3rd. I know perfectly how both transmissions function and how they are meant to be used (but thanks for explaining it to me like I had no idea). Shifting into neutral on an auto on a daily basis just causes unnecessary wear and recommend against. Shifting to N in Manuel is safe and normal. 

Unique to me eh? 

I guess auto makers make their transmissions designed to shift into neutral at any time just like a manual, just for me. 

I feel honored. :p

I prefer manual because I've mostly driven cars with manual transmission. Automatic is more comfortable but I need time until I get used to it.

I have a feeling that manual is better for urban areas and automatic for long trips.

Tried both and love and hate both depending on the traffic. When going around the mountain I love the manual control but when commuting to/from work in crappy traffic, the auto is a life saver.

Hello,

I prefer manual because I've mostly driven cars with manual transmission. Automatic is more comfortable but I need time until I get used to it.

I have a feeling that manual is better for urban areas and automatic for long trips.

There really is no getting used to it :) No clutch and no gearshifting! :)

BTW, I think you got it reversed :) Manual is better for long trips and automatic is better for urban (city, go and stop traffic) areas.

Hello,

There really is no getting used to it :) No clutch and no gearshifting! :)

BTW, I think you got it reversed :) Manual is better for long trips and automatic is better for urban (city, go and stop traffic) areas.

There's getting used to the pedals because autos got 2 and manuals - 3. So when I enter into an automatic transmission vehicle I place my left foot onto the stop pedal (unintentionally) and that could create troubles. It's just odd using only one leg.

As for the urban driving - you could be right here, but don't the automatics act weird when you drive somewhere in between the first and second gear?

Pies. Anyone who has tried eating a pie (or a really hot burger) while driving will KNOW that automatic is the only way. Seriously, turning a corner, while shifting gears, just not possible with a hot mince and cheese pie in one hand. Won't somebody think of the pies!

Hello,

There's getting used to the pedals because autos got 2 and manuals - 3. So when I enter into an automatic transmission vehicle I place my left foot onto the stop pedal (unintentionally) and that could create troubles. It's just odd using only one leg.

Explain please :)

On a manual there are 4 positions (right to left): Accelerator, brake, clutch, and rest

In a automatic, you would simply put your foot where the clutch is. I dont see it that hard to get use to :)

As for the urban driving - you could be right here, but don't the automatics act weird when you drive somewhere in between the first and second gear?

Nope. They act better than manual cars, as you rarely have to shift to first gear while driving for anything...

Pies. Anyone who has tried eating a pie (or a really hot burger) while driving will KNOW that automatic is the only way. Seriously, turning a corner, while shifting gears, just not possible with a hot mince and cheese pie in one hand. Won't somebody think of the pies!

As dangerous as it is, yes, having only to be able to drive with one hand is a advantage to me (Some say two to keep on the steering wheel, debateable :) )

Hello,

Explain please :)

On a manual there are 4 positions (right to left): Accelerator, brake, clutch, and rest

In a automatic, you would simply put your foot where the clutch is. I dont see it that hard to get use to :)

Not really. Manual cars are driven by using your left foot for the clutch and the right for brake and acceleration. So in an automatic car I'd place my left foot on the brake by habit and that could be very dangerous. When my reflex strikes I'd automatically floor the brake pedal and the acceleration pedal which will turn my engine off. People have told me one way to deal with this is by sitting onto you left foot and thus ensuring I'll use only right.

People have told me one way to deal with this is by sitting onto you left foot and thus ensuring I'll use only right.

What a twist!!!! Thank God, My first car is autmatic and voila.I don't have this problem even if I use manual....

Stick is fun but with stuff like the 7 sp autos coming out, manual is being phased out as it's lost it's usefulness. I just bought my first stick too. It's worth noting that driving stick forces you to be more attentive.

An automatic gearbox is for people who just want to get from A to B. A manual gearbox is for people who want to drive!

Seriously though I have no issues with changing gear, just comes so naturally that I don't even think about it. Driving an automatic I'm conscious about what my left foot is doing! 

Stick is fun but with stuff like the 7 sp autos coming out, manual is being phased out as it's lost it's usefulness. I just bought my first stick too. It's worth noting that driving stick forces you to be more attentive.

They have been saying that for years and yet manual is still here, and only a few vehicles do not offer it.

7 speeds have been coming out for the last 4 years.  There are now 8 speed automagics out.

7 speeds have been coming out for the last 4 years.  There are now 8 speed automagics out.

I spent the last few weeks in and out of dealerships looking to replace my car and they all told me that less than 30% of cars are manually equipped