duck dynasty phil robertson a&e lgbt

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 wakjak

wakjak

Neowinian

• 264 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 15:43

Nah, it was just calculated damage control that ended when it was no longer needed. A&E just handled PR as best they could.

A&E knew full well what Phils beliefs were before doing the show. It's not the first time he's spoken about them either.

#17 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,411 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 28 December 2013 - 16:37

Which is what, exactly? Calling out bigots is an extremist agenda?

Differing opinions are not bigotry, no matter what GLAAD says, go read his actual quote and realize they purposely made this out to be more than it really was 

#18 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 740 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 December 2013 - 16:39

Phil wants to let you know that everyone is happy and no one is singing the blues.

Also, racism is apparently fine with A&E as long as it's subtle.

#19 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,411 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 28 December 2013 - 16:41

Phil wants to let you know that everyone is happy and no one is singing the blues.

Also, racism is apparently fine with A&E as long as it's subtle.

Again, a difference in opinion is not racism, bigotry or prejudice, people need to stop reading the propaganda and read Phil's actual answer, it's no where close to what has been reported 

#20 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 740 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 16:49

Again, a difference in opinion is not racism, bigotry or prejudice, people need to stop reading the propaganda and read Phil's actual answer, it's no where close to what has been reported 

Robertson continued, "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Not sure what his opinion is here. 

#21 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,964 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 28 December 2013 - 17:09

Robertson continued, "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Not sure what his opinion is here. 

Blacks were happier when they were subjugated?

Differing opinions are not bigotry, no matter what GLAAD says, go read his actual quote and realize they purposely made this out to be more than it really was 

So GLAAD's "differing of opinion" with this duck guy is extremism, but his views are just merely opinion? Are you serious? You can't be. You can't call one side extreme and another just a differing of opinion... Unless of course your wholly bias against one side.

#22 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 740 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 17:37

Whew! For a second there I thought it might actually be something covertly racist.

#23 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,761 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 28 December 2013 - 17:38

So GLAAD's "differing of opinion" with this duck guy is extremism, but his views are just merely opinion? Are you serious? You can't be. You can't call one side extreme and another just a differing of opinion... Unless of course your wholly bias against one side.

I'm not going to throw around words like extremism, but GLAAD did twist the guy's words around. Listing things in a comma sequence is not "comparing to," so I think GLAAD needs to take an elementary reading comprehension course. I'm never a fan of groups who want to end peoples careers and censor them for comments they made (the "we want their heads" strategy), instead of making something like this a teachable moment. I hadn't heard about this GLAAD group before, but I now have a low opinion of it and their credibility has been damaged, much like the NAACP in recent years.

#24 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• 1,318 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 28 December 2013 - 17:57

... Unless of course your wholly bias against one side.

BINGO!

Hopefully viewers will boycott the series but they won't obviously cos apathy is an epidemic now

#25 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 28 December 2013 - 18:04

As part of the LGBT community, I don't agree with what Phil said, but I think A&E overreacted. I wasn't super offended or outraged by what he said; in my opinion I thought he sounded like an idiot in that moment in the interview, but I certainly wouldn't demand anyone remove him from the show or anything. I didn't lose sleep over one guy who disapproves of my life. Perhaps I don't see it the same way GLAAD sees it.

GLAAD, also doesn't approve of A&E because they under represent the LGBT community in their shows. So I think some of that was thrown into the mix here.

EDIT: also, I just realized that I'm very poor with acronym letter ordering...

#26 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,964 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 28 December 2013 - 18:04

To be clear, I'm not necessarily defending GLAAD. Frankly, I think they just helped boost this guys career a notch or two.

It is sort of like the Chick Fil-a (sp?) thing. It back-fired when a whole bunch of people rushed to those restaurant in support of the CEO opposing same-sex marriage. Advocacy groups need to be aware of the Streisand effect. Sometimes it is better to ignore views you don't like instead of helping to expose them to more oxygen.

#27 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 28 December 2013 - 18:10

A&E knew full well what Phils beliefs were before doing the show. It's not the first time he's spoken about them either.

Sure, but it is the first time people took notice to this degree (probably having to do with it being an interview and the bestiality thing); hence, damage control.

#28 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• 2,184 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Yellow 1020 w/ 8.1

Posted 28 December 2013 - 20:30

That's because GLAAD is pushing an extremist minority agenda that most if not all Gay and non Gay people don't follow, best thing anyone can do is ignore GLAAD, there are much better organizations to support 

Equality is extremist?

#29 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,701 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 28 December 2013 - 22:01

Considering the entire religious right went full retard over this (claiming it was a free speech issue) I wouldn't be surprised.

The "difference of opinion" is weather gay people should be second class citizens not protected from discrimination in employment, Not having their relationships recognised by government.

One hell of a "difference of opinion"

Not to mention the racist comments which were "thrown to the back of the bus" by everyone even black evangelicals.