33 posts in this topic

Posted

As expected, yesterday Nintendo

Posted

They certainly need to do something. I don't follow gaming very closely these days to be honest, but was a Nintendo 'guy' back in the days of the SNES and the MegaDrive / Genesis. It just amazes me that a company as well loved as Nintendo, with arguably the most well known video game character of all time (Mario) and various other well loved franchises like Zelda can just continue to make bad decisions and seemingly be behind and out of touch with what the other big players are doing.

It smacks of needing a serious shake-up in senior management somewhere. 

Posted

Here's one thing i don't get. If nitnendo makes a mistake and things don't go as well as they planned(like with the wii u), everyone calls for iwata's head. Meanwhile, Sony's vita has been failing so much harder than the wii u has yet i don't think i've seen any articles anywhere saying we should throw the leadership of sony off a cliff without even thinking twice about it. Why is this kind of thing only targeted nintendo and the person who brought two of the most successful gaming devices to the market(ds and wii) and who was able to actually turn their current handheld around and make it successful?

Posted

Here's one thing i don't get. If nitnendo makes a mistake and things don't go as well as they planned(like with the wii u), everyone calls for iwata's head. Meanwhile, Sony's vita has been failing so much harder than the wii u has yet i don't think i've seen any articles anywhere saying we should throw the leadership of sony off a cliff without even thinking twice about it. Why is this kind of thing only targeted nintendo and the person who brought two of the most successful gaming devices to the market(ds and wii) and who was able to actually turn their current handheld around and make it successful?

While I agree with the sentiment, I believe Sony have restructured themselves a lot during the development of the PS4. IIRC, the Vita was under SCEJ leadership, whereas the PS4 was by SCEE, specifically Mark Cerny.

Not to mention that Kutaragi was sacked from his position of leadership at the launch of the PS3, which Kaz Hirai took over. So Sony have definitely made improvements, but it has been the PS4 which is finally turning the tide for them (so far).

Posted

Sony changed its CEO already iirc, besides Sony being so big it's more than just the PlayStation business, Nintendo only has gaming, they don't make TVs, phones, PCs and so on. When one of your two main lines of products is doing so bad then you have a problem.  Also while people talk about the big cutback on Wii U sales from 8million to 2.8 million iirc, Nintendo also cut it's expected 3DS sales to, so both lines are doing worse than they expected. You also then have to take into account that 3rd party support is drying up, as good as Nintendo first party is it's not enough IMO to keep them going for long.

Posted

Does Nintendo make money off their hardware sales at all?

Posted

I have a Wii U - and I love it, and I will admit that I'm a complete Nintendo fanboy too, but even through my rose tinted specs I can see that it's a mess. It launched with inadequate games, and a stupidly bad online system.

It needs more first party games. They can probably do without dropping the price - just bundle the new Mario game and Mario Kart (if it ever gets here). I think people will happily pay

Posted

Does Nintendo make money off their hardware sales at all?

The Wii U is sold at a loss but is profitable with 1 game sale. That was the official response at launch, it may well have climed due to the poor sales.

Not sure about the 3DS.

Posted

Dear god do they definitely need to do the account fix.  NNID only works on the system it was created on.  Who at Nintendo thought that was a good idea???

Posted

I have a Wii U - and I love it, and I will admit that I'm a complete Nintendo fanboy too, but even through my rose tinted specs I can see that it's a mess. It launched with inadequate games, and a stupidly bad online system.

It needs more first party games. They can probably do without dropping the price - just bundle the new Mario game and Mario Kart (if it ever gets here). I think people will happily pay

Posted

There is one on the 3ds. If you go into the options menu in the eshop there should be something to click that says "your downloads". Hit that and you'll see all your past downloads and can redownload them.

On my 3DS that list is empty (even though I have downloaded games still on the console) :(

Posted

On my 3DS that list is empty (even though I have downloaded games still on the console) :(

That's strange. Everything i've ever downloaded is in my list.

Posted

Always with the Nintendo doom & gloom. The truth is that Nintendo will be fine. Their current home console is a mess in general, regardless of how it compares to the rest of the industry. It's immensely fun but it's overpriced for what it offers, even at this point. It should have come out just as the Wii was getting stale.

However at the end of the day, it's Nintendo. The N64 used an obsolete storage method for games and arguably had some of the best games ever made. The Wii was severly underpowered in comparison to the XBox 360 and PS3, and took them both to church.  All they have to do is *mention* that a new Mario Kart is coming some day and you get the fiends itching. If they ever dropped a Pokemon adventure game in 3D on a home console in the vein of Super Mario 64, they'd effectively shut the game down.

It's for those reasons that I never doubt them. It's also for those reasons why I'd never want them to go third party. You think their IPs are played out now? Ask Sega how Sonic's image is doing these days.

1 person likes this

Posted

Nintendo should announce a merge with Valve. That would shake the gaming industry a lot XD

Posted

It's actually a good list. I thought for sure it would include silly things like "Makes games for mobile devices", that would pretty much kill off Nintendo's strongest suit the 3DS

Posted

I'd rather they release a Wii U lite with no gamepad but with a wii u pro controller instead. This would be

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd rather they release a Wii U lite with no gamepad but with a wii u pro controller instead. This would be

Posted

I wish people around the net who suggest that option would actually think about it for a second before they say it. Because doing this option would not only break many things in the os and its features, but would also break several games. Basically, it'd cause more problems than it helps.

Only a few games require that functionality, game patches could add support for the wii u controller. Or ship it with a disclaimer saying it may not play all previously released games, go to our website for a list of incompatible games, do that and force all new games to support wii u pro controller.

Posted

I wish people around the net who suggest that option would actually think about it for a second before they say it. Because doing this option would not only break many things in the os and its features, but would also break several games. Basically, it'd cause more problems than it helps.

I agree with you.  Like it or not Nintendo made their bed with the gamepad and they can't escape that now.  The question is will it be an anchor or not.  I think we can all agree though that gamepad or not that's not what ultimately caused the Wii U to tank.  However it doesn't help that to this day Nintendo themselves have still not come out with a game that makes you say oh yeah that's why I need the gamepad.  I think Nintendo doesn't want to admit that they decided to join a bandwagon (tablet market) and was hoping to piggy back off that.

Posted

"A mistake" is an understatement - 3 years of consecutive losses? 336 million dollars in loses? Yeah, trivially mistakes which are no doubt being blown out of proportion by the Nintendo haters. Like any of those really exist.

Posted

"A mistake" is an understatement - 3 years of consecutive losses? 336 million dollars in loses? Yeah, trivially mistakes which are no doubt being blown out of proportion by the Nintendo haters. Like any of those really exist.

Why do we see only articles calling for the firing of leaders of nintendo when the leaders of SCE have failed just as badly with one of their own devices? Surely we should be calling for their removal as well, right?

Posted

http://techland.time.com/2011/06/28/sony-hacks-ceo-asked-to-step-down-by-shareholder-refuses/ -- CEO asked to step down

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/01/business/japan-sony-ceo/ -- CEO steps down, Kaz takes over

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2094794/Sony-CEO-Sir-Howard-Stringer-steps-company-braces-fourth-year-net-losses.html  -- CEO steps down after 4 years of losses

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/309302/sony-ceo-asked-to-step-down-by-shareholders-report/ -- Shareholders ask Stringer to step down

The Iwata situation is different from a device simply failing. It is an issue of how long he stuck to the initial sales forecasts before revising them down from 9 million units sold to 2.8 million for the Wii U and 18 million to 13.5 million for the 3DS, resulting in an operating loss of $335M & sending Nintendo's shares plunging 18%.

The issue with great upcoming titles having no firm release dates is also not encouraging anyone to run out and buy a Wii U at this point, either.

Posted

Topic cleaned.

Enough of the personal attacks

Posted

And a New Zelda.

Posted

Personally I think that an exclusive Grand Theft Auto funded by Nintendo to make it easier for Rockstar would help the Wii U massively and slightly help Nintendo's image.  I know it sounds insane but look at the amount of sales that GTA 5 made this year and in general and how many hardware sales it drove.  If Nintendo had an exclusive GTA that was not available on any other console I'm sure many people would buy the console for just that one game thereby being a Trojan horse.  Then you show those people reasons why having a Nintendo system wasn't as bad as they thought.

That's just my personal opinion on one thing Nintendo could do but I think they need to make more effective use of their cash reserves.  What is $100 million in the grand scheme of things to completely fund a game that could potentially generate over $1 billion in sales for you and improve your brand image among gamers.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0