Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Providing you have both consoles, then you have a choice :p

True, I find the last bit of the post where they say some sources say that the Xbox Ones DX11 drivers need more work, could be true in this case. We all know both systems were rushed so I wouldn't be surprised and as close to PCs as these both are we know that one thing drives can effect is frame rates.  Oh well in the end I already played the game and wouldn't play it a second time just for better graphics.

Looks like we have all been lied to, the Xbox One version is capped at 30fps while the PS4 one is not http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

"Reports suggesting that the PS4 version of the game operates at a slick 60fps while the Xbox One game languishes at the console-standard 30fps are verified."

"For what it's worth though, comparing PS4 and Xbox One when the Microsoft platform dips under 30fps is perhaps the best indication we have of relative performance, and can see some significant differences."

Xbox One test lowest fps - 18fps, where the game seems to momentarily freeze for 12 frames.

PS4 test lowest fps - 32fps, going from 60fps to 32fps you will notice some judder but its still running at a faster fps rate than the Xbox One does normally.

"Reports suggesting that the PS4 version of the game operates at a slick 60fps while the Xbox One game languishes at the console-standard 30fps are verified."

"For what it's worth though, comparing PS4 and Xbox One when the Microsoft platform dips under 30fps is perhaps the best indication we have of relative performance, and can see some significant differences."

Xbox One test lowest fps - 18fps, where the game seems to momentarily freeze for 12 frames.

PS4 test lowest fps - 32fps, going from 60fps to 32fps you will notice some judder but its still running at a faster fps rate than the Xbox One does normally.

Your leaving out a bit of context for your info from that article:

[update 20:20 GMT: and as the more eagle-eyed have noticed, we also have a registered dip to 18fps, where the game seems to momentarily freeze for 12 frames at 4:12 in the video - though this isn't indicative of general performance. For those interested, this post explains the confusion - in effect, the frame-rate counter is updating every half second - as you can see, the graph itself is registering 24fps. Apologies for the confusion, We'll get this fixed up in time for the full Face-Off.]

So your 18 figure is not indicative of general performance according to them. But hey, I'm not saying the ps4 only side didn't win, because it sounds like it clearly did in that area.

They seem to think that having two different developers working on each port makes it difficult to use this game as a clear claim about either console. One chose an unlocked frame rate, the other did not. Each made different choices when it came to the final product.

They seem to think that having two different developers working on each port makes it difficult to use this game as a clear claim about either console. One chose an unlocked frame rate, the other did not. Each made different choices when it came to the final product.

No doubt that accounts for many of the differences, but not having a stable 30 FPS is also not good no matter how you look at it, compared to 60 with dips but above 30.

Question is are the X1 TR FPS issues related to the hardware, the experience of the dev, time constraints, etc etc. So not a good example for the "FPS/Resolution-gate" debate. Really the only time it's a valid comparison is when games are cross platform and done by the same developer.

Good to see Polygon uphold their start to the generation

mZSs0E2.png

The frame rate, on the other hand, is lower on the Xbox One version of Tomb Raider. This was particularly noticeable during some explosive, high-action sequences in the game. However, the gameplay of Tomb Raider never requires the pixel-perfect timing that would turn a lower frame rate into a deal-breaker, rendering the point somewhat moot.

CxrXOli.png

I actually hope we see a title on the One that somehow has ~20FPS differences and see if the new tune will stand  :rofl:

mZSs0E2.png

CxrXOli.png

I actually hope we see a title on the One that somehow has ~20FPS differences and see if the new tune will stand  :rofl:

Wait, what are you comparing here? I get that the top is the score they gave to this game, is the other an older rating for the game or something?

Regardless, we seem to be getting into the weeds here, mocking review sites :laugh:

• Like 2

mZSs0E2.png

CxrXOli.png

Lulz. You're still in denial about the fact that this ###### doesn't actually matter. This is just hilarious now.

Lulz. You're still in denial about the fact that this **** doesn't actually matter. This is just hilarious now.

How does it not matter? If it continues it's telling of the technical differences between the consoles, which to some could be a deciding factor which they buy.

If it doesn't matter to you then that's fine and your opinion, but it certainly matters as far as the industry is concerned.

If you mean doesn't matter with TR, then I agree because it's not even a balanced debate.

How does it not matter? If it continues it's telling of the technical differences between the consoles, which to some could be a deciding factor which they buy.

If it doesn't matter to you then that's fine and your opinion, but it certainly matters as far as the industry is concerned.

If you mean doesn't matter with TR, then I agree because it's not even a balanced debate.

Unfortunately, people like to play around instead of just sticking with the topic.

I'm not sure which he was talking about, but I agree that it matters industry wide. Some people want to hold up this game as 'evidence' which is tough to do as you said.

• Like 2

Have you reported polygon to the FTC yet for failing to disclose being on the MS payroll for promoting the Xbox One?

• Like 4

Ill break one definign factor right now,.. Tomb raider is game locked at 60 fps maximum. on my PC i have 1080p ultimate detailes which means ever single option at maximum and get 45-55 fps using fraps as a counter andon the cgi bits when it doesnt o dmuch i never goes above 60. so i think .the creators of the PS4 version are cheating you out of graphical fielity, i persinally believe it should be bwteemn 45-55 fos mayve dipping to 40 for high grahpcical section at the most. To be runnign on 60 fps is cheating you out of graphical fidelity

I can see why PS4 would easily achieve higher frame rates than xbox one, but i wasnt expecting the lower and average frame rates on Microsoft's console to be that low.

I can see why PS4 would easily achieve higher frame rates than xbox one, but i wasnt expecting the lower and average frame rates on Microsoft's console to be that low.

The average would be a lot higher if it wasn't capped at 30 as the article explains. 

I really don't think it's technical differences, I think it's just programmer inexperience with the hardware. All launch titles are iffy performance wise.

If you want to split hairs, the PS4 running at 60fps brings more opportunities for frame loss, while the Xbone being capped to 30fps means it shouldn't drop as much, etc.

I really don't think it's technical differences, I think it's just programmer inexperience with the hardware. All launch titles are iffy performance wise.

If you want to split hairs, the PS4 running at 60fps brings more opportunities for frame loss, while the Xbone being capped to 30fps means it shouldn't drop as much, etc.

Let's hope so, but that is why I said if. It remains to be seen and it'll take a few exclusives to find out rather than cross-platform releases.

Wait, what are you comparing here? I get that the top is the score they gave to this game, is the other an older rating for the game or something?

Regardless, we seem to be getting into the weeds here, mocking review sites :laugh:

It was a prod at Polygon for rating COD lower on the PS4 for framerate, but not TR on the One. Its interesting that people on NW will go as far as to get upset at Polygon being criticised as somehow being unfair on the One.

It's not just the frame rate differences, texture quality as well (and no before anyone asks I didn't add the labels ~ "Xbone")

cQCWacC.gif

tr8tsew.gif

It was a prod at Polygon for rating COD lower on the PS4 for framerate, but not TR on the One. Its interesting that people on NW will go as far as to get upset at Polygon being criticised as somehow being unfair on the One.

Didn't CoD on the PS4 have severe FPS issues, where it regularly dropped significantly below 30. Also, it's a twitch FPS.... I'm sure you can figure the difference ;)

The average would be a lot higher if it wasn't capped at 30 as the article explains. 

Gameplay.png

The PS4 version is capped at 60 fps, we could argue that its fps average could be a lot higher if it wasn't capped either. But realistically the caps are there for a reason the gameplay judder would be too noticeable on either if they didn't have the caps they have.

Didn't CoD on the PS4 have severe FPS issues, where it regularly dropped significantly below 30. Also, it's a twitch FPS.... I'm sure you can figure the difference ;)

No

Moving onto performance, Call of Duty: Ghosts once again targets the slick 60fps gold standard that defines the series. Both Xbox One and PS4 frequently manage to deliver the same silky smooth gameplay at similarly high frame-rates throughout the campaign, although the perceptual 60fps update is compromised more often on Sony's system when the engine is under load, with lows of around 40fps in the most demanding scenes.
 In fact, some of the more graphically intensive stages see the appearance of noticeable frame-rate drops and screen tear - the latter coming as a particular surprise bearing in mind how the series has historically relied on the visual consistency of v-sync. At one point we even see the Xbox One game drop close to the 30fps mark, but this lasts for only a brief moment during a point where the player's interaction with the game is limited.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-call-of-duty-ghosts-next-gen-face-off

Not upset at all, just amused at how vested you are in this argument :laugh:

• Like 1

<images snipped>

It's not just the frame rate differences, texture quality as well (and no before anyone asks I didn't add the labels ~ "Xbone")

There really is no excuse for the textures being down-rezzed as well. The developer would be using the exact same 4 maps for all platforms - PC, PS4, PS3, XB360 and XBO. Those 4 maps (diffuse, bump, normal and spec) are then simply resized to last gen - (1024x1024px) and current gen (2048x2048px). Why they are both rendering at such vast differences in qaulity shouldn't be happening. As someone who knows the ins and out of video game design, 

Both GPUs of both current machines have more than enough RAM to display the textures as they were developed, and the GPUs are pretty much the same, although the CU count is higher in the PS4, it should make no difference when it comes to rendering the frame in the engine. Both consoles use exactly the same engine too, so that leaves only one conclusion.

Programming. Both consoles would use a very similar programming to bring these to your consoles, but from my point of view as someone who studied game design for 3+ years, to me it seems like Crystal Dynamics just got lazy with the XBO version and decided to compress the images using DXT compression methods, which are good, but still loose quality and fidelity. Not sure why, but looks like Crystal Dynamics have decided to either optimise for the PS4 in general, or with those textures, not compress them as much as they did for the XBO version.

If they are wise, you should see a software update for the XBO version which might reload those original PS4/PC version textures, although if it did happen, you are probably looking at a 7-8GB download. 

Anyway thats my 2 cents :) 

Not upset at all, just amused at how vested you are in this argument :laugh:

For someone that isn't vested in it, as per the numerous "it doesn't matter posts", why would you care about other people being interested in it? Are you insecure in your own stance that you have to prod and try to change people on the other side of the fence? If not, please stop following me around like a bad smell in all these threads to do with topics you apparently don't think are relevant enough to exist.

There really is no excuse for the textures being down-rezzed as well. The developer would be using the exact same 4 maps for all platforms - PC, PS4, PS3, XB360 and XBO. Those 4 maps (diffuse, bump, normal and spec) are then simply resized to last gen - (1024x1024px) and current gen (2048x2048px). Why they are both rendering at such vast differences in qaulity shouldn't be happening. As someone who knows the ins and out of video game design, 

Both GPUs of both current machines have more than enough RAM to display the textures as they were developed, and the GPUs are pretty much the same, although the CU count is higher in the PS4, it should make no difference when it comes to rendering the frame in the engine. Both consoles use exactly the same engine too, so that leaves only one conclusion.

Programming. Both consoles would use a very similar programming to bring these to your consoles, but from my point of view as someone who studied game design for 3+ years, to me it seems like Crystal Dynamics just got lazy with the XBO version and decided to compress the images using DXT compression methods, which are good, but still loose quality and fidelity. Not sure why, but looks like Crystal Dynamics have decided to either optimise for the PS4 in general, or with those textures, not compress them as much as they did for the XBO version.

If they are wise, you should see a software update for the XBO version which might reload those original PS4/PC version textures, although if it did happen, you are probably looking at a 7-8GB download. 

Anyway thats my 2 cents  :)

It almost looks like its upscaled (I know it's not). AC4 texture differences look similar (sharp vs blurry) and it was 900p vs 1080p.

Depth of field is also missing from the One (on top). DOF is something better shown in motion before anyone just asks why is one screenshot blurry and the other not.

AFD09ly.jpg

ddAX4oM.jpg

There's a good DF video comparison over these two links as well as to the frame rate differences in motion

PS4 / Xbox One