Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

You'd think people would just play and enjoy the game, instead of going to a forum arguing that their version looks better than yours... I dunno. 

You are right. But people have been doing that forever including XBox fans the last 2 generations.

• Like 1

The problem is right now there are no really "great" games on either console so all people seem to give a rats @$$ about is  fps/resolution and just suck the fun right out of decent game because they may be getting 10 fps higher/lower than the next person. 

That said I have seen the game on both consoles side by side I just dont any difference.  On the ONE it MAY? have skipped a TINY bit when tons of crap was going but they looked the freaking same.

Looks like it's not simply 1080p native on One after all

Yep, ps4 is the clear winner here.

I'm a bit confused by their conclusion. Sometimes they seem to hint that the issues with the X1 version are related to the developer and not the hardware, and then sometimes not. My take away is that they don't know for sure.

You are right. But people have been doing that forever including XBox fans the last 2 generations.

Doesn't make it right. But oh well, people enjoy doing it and there is nothing to stop them.

Hopefully the technical disparity on multiplatform games is not something that will continue to be a matter of discussion in this generation. I'd rather the news be filled with the content of the game than which game has better framerate/resolution/etc. However, hopefully that doesn't mean devs will purposefully gimp one version just to make them equal.

since the human eye cant really see beyond 24 FPS is this really an issue??

The human eye can only see in greyscale, too. Why do we fret so much over colors when we can't see them?

Most PC gamers turn off tress fx because it looks horrible and has weird behavior bugs though :) there plenty of screenshots andyoutube videos of her tress fx hair being a mess and just not looking as good as the normal hair.

I've been thinking the same thing.

I've watched the comparisons between the XBox One and the PS4 and honestly don't see a difference (In either company's favor), but the hair gets very distracting...  I'm not sure what Tressfx is, but I don't think I like it.  LOL

since the human eye cant really see beyond 24 FPS is this really an issue??

Well we don't see at 24 fps so it is somewhat an issue. For instance: studies have shown that the brain can percieve images at 1/220th a second.

The 24fps limit is a bit of a myth based upon diminishing returns of more film frames vs (quality of) perceived motion in film cinemas. 

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html is a decent explanation of the myth that we only see 24FPS.

I've been thinking the same thing.

I've watched the comparisons between the XBox One and the PS4 and honestly don't see a difference (In either company's favor), but the hair gets very distracting...  I'm not sure what Tressfx is, but I don't think I like it.  LOL

TressFX has its shortcoming. But I personally keep it enabled cause the normal hairs are really boring.

So in the end, you both somewhat agreed to the point that these tech differences are secondary reasons for choosing a console in most cases.

I think most people go where their friends go. I am pretty sure my XBL list of friends will turn to mostly Xbox One because almost all of them are Halo regulars. Not everybody buys both consoles and whenever next Halo drops, most people on my list will be getting XBO. Once they buy XBO for Halo/Titanfall, extra FPS or more resolution is not a compelling factor for buying another console.

Sony survived last generation mainly on blu-ray being its unique feature and more exclusives post 2010.

As AB said, hardware features wise both consoles are on similar ground (ignoring kinect for a moment) so things that will make a difference are services/apps i.e. software & ecosystem.

XBO apps are code compatible with WinRT and that might turn out to be its killer feature if Microsoft opens it up to all devs. Sony will probably end up integrating Android runtime and Google services to match because as of now it has no real answer to SkyDrive or WinRT apps or even Kinect.

I would have preferred if XBO had a consistent 1080p/60p game with Ryse like IQ for all games (may be it will still have) but if that meant dropping Kinect or raising price to $600 then I am (grudgingly) glad they did what they did.

In the end, FPS and resolution "don't matter" as much as we think they do.

p.s. A note about XBO not able to do 1080p/60fps on a last gen game. May be that's the reason, remember the lazy devs argument?

Not at all. I bought a 360 on release and had no way of knowing that was the way things would be. I bought a 360 for very very different reasons. Had the PS3 released and been the lead platform from the start and not only in the later years, I'd have bought the multiplatform games on it instead too. No matter what, I buy all the consoles anyway because the only ones who miss out are those who have to choose obviously. It's expensive as hell sure, but that is my hobby and what I'm interested in. I actually think Sony's turning point was Uncharted 2. That game really changed a lot of the perception of the console and people stopped caring what happened at launch/E3 2005 and just sat down to a game that wowed them. BR has very little to do with the success IMO and will never be their bread and butter like they had with DVD on PS2. Sure a lot of people care, but we all know streaming is the future. Even MS used Toshiba as their puppet/fall guy when the sales didn't pick up in favour of XBLM and apps.

I'm not getting into Win8/RT discussions, sorry. My thoughts are pretty well known on each and I'm not interested in either.

I think FPS/resolution do matter, even to those who don't understand them. Just yesterday I saw a tweet from an MS employee I follow on twitter asking what the best size screen is for 1080p. Seriously? You need to ask but you don't understand why it matters in the first place? Says it all IMO. It's like tech buzz words to these folk and they want the best just to say they have it a lot of the time. To the hardcore crowd it obviously matters on much more meaningful level.

I think there is another important point here. If you don't like MS' services to begin with, your not going to like what they do on the X1. That's clear enough looking around the net. Its all personal opinions. If someone uses skydrive elsewhere and like it, their opinion might be different.

You illustrate your own point. You hate things like Kinect or using media services at all on a console. Gaming is all you want out of a console and the ps4 offers the games you want, so your opinion is in full force here. Each of us is allowed to buy what we want for any reason. What crosses the line is when we claim one side of the opinion means more than the other side or that one opinion is fact.

The reality is that your position is just another opinion in a sea of opinions. What does the market as a whole want or need from a console in 2013? That's up for debate. Its just nice that we have two consoles trying to find out through adding features.

The thing is though, Sony is bringing much of the same to the ps4 as MS is. Just like MS, you can avoid it while those that like that stuff get access to it. So really, your not harmed by Sony or MS catering to more people.

I just feel that Sony and MS are actually aiming for similar goals. Sony isn't just aiming for a games console and MS isn't aiming to make a pc. Both are aiming for an all around entertainment box. Now, the PR has been different for both, which I think creates this view that they are so different.

Its like the whole TV, TV, TV thing. It turns out that Sony is just as invested in providing TV/media content on the ps4, but they rolled that detail out in small pieces over the course of many months, making it easier to digest.

Things about the ps4 seem to point to Sony treating this as much more than just a gaming console. Things like the multitasking OS and the social features are outside of the needs of a console that only cares about gaming. You could get by just fine without that, or without the media apps Sony has already released.

I am happily locked into Apple services and eco-system, so I do not use all of MS' services as much as some, but I am definitely a big fan of XBL and always have been. That doesn't mean to say I think all their other apps/services have a home on a console or where MS should be focusing efforts though. Apps if they contribute to entertainment sure, but anything else, no. Keep it away from the XBLM and dash. It's a distraction and will only cost them when it comes to keeping up with Sony.

With the "TV, TV, TV" arguments. IMO it was never about how much was said, or even how much was said at once. It was because it was the focus of something that is primarily a gaming console. That is bullet point one and should never have been talked about second to any feature. But that's going over the same old ground we've tirelessly gone over since E3. We should all expect to see media apps / services on these consoles. We accepted them last generation with positivity, so it's not a backlash against them. Just MS' strategy was so far off mark it was a disaster.

Well, I held off buying it...yesterday... Was looking on the future shop site today and saw they had Tomb Raider Definitive Edition With Artbook (PlayStation 4) - English in stock for same price as without the book, so I ordered one.   Hopefully it will ship tomorrow.

I am happily locked into Apple services and eco-system, so I do not use all of MS' services as much as some, but I am definitely a big fan of XBL and always have been. That doesn't mean to say I think all their other apps/services have a home on a console or where MS should be focusing efforts though. Apps if they contribute to entertainment sure, but anything else, no. Keep it away from the XBLM and dash. It's a distraction and will only cost them when it comes to keeping up with Sony.

Some people are happily locked into MS' ecosystem and still might not want or need access to every MS service there. MS has made no claim to be doing this. As I said before, its about your opinion of services. You have no interest in having any other MS service on a console, but then others would. Xbox Music or Skydive have their place among some users. The point is if MS offers that stuff, it will not hurt your experience at all. Its all optional.

I still think you guys are overreacting to this. Why is the assumption that suddenly MS would focus on making non entertainment apps on a console? MS would likely be making few if any apps. The idea is just open up the store. What 3rd parties do is their choice and it would not require any focus from MS.

I'm kind of shocked you guys would put down the idea of MS simply opening up the app store. It doesn't require the Xbox team to focus on it since the Windows team at MS would be the one to implement it behind the scenes.

With the "TV, TV, TV" arguments. IMO it was never about how much was said, or even how much was said at once. It was because it was the focus of something that is primarily a gaming console. That is bullet point one and should never have been talked about second to any feature. But that's going over the same old ground we've tirelessly gone over since E3. We should all expect to see media apps / services on these consoles. We accepted them last generation with positivity, so it's not a backlash against them. Just MS' strategy was so far off mark it was a disaster.

I saw people actually say it was about how much was said and the fact that they had an event that focused on that.

It was their PR that was off the mark in my opinion. What if MS had swapped the E3 and first event? I think that alone would have resulted in a much different impression from many people. Sony sort of did that. Their first event was mostly focused on gaming and E3 including things beyond gaming.

But again, for those of us that can look past PR, its clear both companies are heading in the same direction. Sony was just so much better at PR, laying out their plan in a way that we as gamers prefer. These consoles must be pushed as gaming devices first and then talk about everything else second.

• Like 2

Some people are happily locked into MS' ecosystem and still might not want or need access to every MS service there. MS has made no claim to be doing this. As I said before, its about your opinion of services. You have no interest in having any other MS service on a console, but then others would. Xbox Music or Skydive have their place among some users. The point is if MS offers that stuff, it will not hurt your experience at all. Its all optional.

I still think you guys are overreacting to this. Why is the assumption that suddenly MS would focus on making non entertainment apps on a console? MS would likely be making few if any apps. The idea is just open up the store. What 3rd parties do is their choice and it would not require any focus from MS.

I'm kind of shocked you guys would put down the idea of MS simply opening up the app store. It doesn't require the Xbox team to focus on it since the Windows team at MS would be the one to implement it behind the scenes.

I saw people actually say it was about how much was said and the fact that they had an event that focused on that.

It was their PR that was off the mark in my opinion. What if MS had swapped the E3 and first event? I think that alone would have resulted in a much different impression from many people. Sony sort of did that. Their first event was mostly focused on gaming and E3 including things beyond gaming.

But again, for those of us that can look past PR, its clear both companies are heading in the same direction. Sony was just so much better at PR, laying out their plan in a way that we as gamers prefer. These consoles must be pushed as gaming devices first and then talk about everything else second.

No doubt they are. It's what MS have been pushing for since they saw Apple do it. Like I said, it hurts my experience when it takes priority over things that matter to gaming e.g the terrible condition the dash is in with standard 360 features missing.

The Windows team have enough on their plate trying to fix Win8, never mind working out what to do with RT. Asking them to pick up the pieces is not going to end well. Juggling too many plates at once. I don't mind them opening a store to 3rd parties though. I'll ignore most of it, but if someone makes something worthwhile I won't shun it. I can't think of anything I'd like to see on a console via an app store, however. Some people on here are quick to play the "haven't you got games to play" card. Well, don't you have games to play instead of apps is my rebuttal.

Well I can only speak for myself and not what others felt. I have no problem with them talking about TV. You saw how disappointed I was when the app list was released before the console launched and notable services missing. I want them on the console ASAP because I use them very frequently. As I said at E3, I would have loved to have seen a 2hr or longer press conference (apprently people are bored by anything longer than an hour when it comes to their fav hobby, :rofl:). Have everything explained to us in detail, including taking time to mention the "DRM" because that was their biggest opportunity in front of a world audience to say exactly what they're doing. But no; We know what happened.

@Baji, forgot to mention in my last reply that the 360 wasn't lead platform for developers by choice. Simply because it launched first. It was never picked because it was better, only because it was far more familiar to them before PS3 launched, never mind the pick up time learning it when it did eventually arrive. Hence why we did see the swing towards PS3-leading some years later (minus some notable studios, i.e Bethesda etc).

No doubt they are. It's what MS have been pushing for since they saw Apple do it. Like I said, it hurts my experience when it takes priority over things that matter to gaming e.g the terrible condition the dash is in with standard 360 features missing.

Wait, how do you know that is the reason features are missing? Sony left out features from the ps3 dash as well. I just thought it seemed like it was rushed.

I'm not sure how opening the app store will screw up your experience.

The Windows team have enough on their plate trying to fix Win8, never mind working out what to do with RT. Asking them to pick up the pieces is not going to end well. Juggling too many plates at once. I don't mind them opening a store to 3rd parties though. I'll ignore most of it, but if someone makes something worthwhile I won't shun it. I can't think of anything I'd like to see on a console via an app store, however. Some people on here are quick to play the "haven't you got games to play" card. Well, don't you have games to play instead of apps is my rebuttal.

The windows team is working on bridging all versions of windows. The X1 is running win 8. So the work that team does will apply to the X1 automatically. They want a shared backend that allows developers to more easily port apps across devices like the X1. So this isn't some new 'plate' to worry about.

As far as what developers would do with this, well it can be anything from games to media apps. So say Netflix can build one app that works across devices with a few UI tweaks as needed.

I just think its funny that people interested in this stuff are basically put down :laugh:

If you don't want to try an app, you can easily avoid it, that's the beauty of it. We have apps now on the ps4 and x1 that no one has to use and it doesn't get in your way.

Well I can only speak for myself and not what others felt. I have no problem with them talking about TV. You saw how disappointed I was when the app list was released before the console launched and notable services missing. I want them on the console ASAP because I use them very frequently. As I said at E3, I would have loved to have seen a 2hr or longer press conference (apprently people are bored by anything longer than an hour when it comes to their fav hobby, :rofl:). Have everything explained to us in detail, including taking time to mention the "DRM" because that was their biggest opportunity in front of a world audience to say exactly what they're doing. But no; We know what happened.

Yeah, I get your point. I'm just saying many didn't react as you did.

I really wish MS had done something like that to just lay it all out and try to explain things in better way, but that didn't happen.

• Like 2

Wait, how do you know that is the reason features are missing? Sony left out features from the ps3 dash as well. I just thought it seemed like it was rushed.

I'm not sure how opening the app store will screw up your experience.

The windows team is working on bridging all versions of windows. The X1 is running win 8. So the work that team does will apply to the X1 automatically. They want a shared backend that allows developers to more easily port apps across devices like the X1. So this isn't some new 'plate' to worry about.

As far as what developers would do with this, well it can be anything from games to media apps. So say Netflix can build one app that works across devices with a few UI tweaks as needed.

I just think its funny that people interested in this stuff are basically put down :laugh:

If you don't want to try an app, you can easily avoid it, that's the beauty of it. We have apps now on the ps4 and x1 that no one has to use and it doesn't get in your way.

Yeah, I get your point. I'm just saying many didn't react as you did.

I really wish MS had done something like that to just lay it all out and try to explain things in better way, but that didn't happen.

I/we don't know. It's just a theory. In all probability the 180s were no doubt a big cause for stuff not being ready, but adding Skydrive could have waited perhaps in favour of a proper download queue etc. I really don't understand what went through their minds designing it sometimes. Obvious, standard features completely missing, just....what :no:

As for Win8/RT, like I say, my thoughts on it are well known & I've already spoke about it more than I'd like. I have zero confidence in that team at all right now. My concern isn't that they need to learn how to work with X1 and the OS. My concern is they have bigger problems to work on rather than a calculator app for a console (exaggeration yes, but you get the idea :p). I'm not opposed to an app store like I said, just don't see a need for one outside of media purposes. You only need one Netflix app etc and I'm not even sure you'll ever see more than one app per service. Nobody has the rights to access those servers but the company AFAIK. It's not like we're going to see umpteen Netflix/Hulu/HBO variants that compete with one another to include new features. You haven't seen it on any other app market, it's not going to suddenly start now.

I/we don't know. It's just a theory. In all probability the 180s were no doubt a big cause for stuff not being ready, but adding Skydrive could have waited perhaps in favour of a proper download queue etc. I really don't understand what went through their minds designing it sometimes. Obvious, standard features completely missing, just....what :no:

As for Win8/RT, like I say, my thoughts on it are well known & I've already spoke about it more than I'd like. I have zero confidence in that team at all right now. My concern isn't that they need to learn how to work with X1 and the OS. My concern is they have bigger problems to work on rather than a calculator app for a console (exaggeration yes, but you get the idea :p). I'm not opposed to an app store like I said, just don't see a need for one outside of media purposes. You only need one Netflix app etc and I'm not even sure you'll ever see more than one app per service. Nobody has the rights to access those servers but the company AFAIK. It's not like we're going to see umpteen Netflix/Hulu/HBO variants that compete with one another to include new features. You haven't seen it on any other app market, it's not going to suddenly start now.

Well the windows team won't be working on apps, so don't worry about that. All they will do create the hooks into the store and the general windows APIs developers will use.

Whether you hate 8 or not has nothing to do with this frankly. Its not like the idea is to create some new app store for the X1 or to push tons of apps that make no sense. Its just allow developers another option when creating say arcade games or media apps. It should also mean less hassle for developers compared to how hard it was to push something to the 360.

My Netflix point was that Netflix themselves will have it easier when trying to make apps that work on say WP, WinRt, Win 8, and the X1. I was not talking about others making Netflix apps.

Maybe it means other streaming media services get apps on the X1. It also means we could see more local media playback apps such as say Plex, Media Browser, etc.

Anyone not interested in this stuff will be unaffected.

• Like 2

Well we don't see at 24 fps so it is somewhat an issue. For instance: studies have shown that the brain can percieve images at 1/220th a second.

The 24fps limit is a bit of a myth based upon diminishing returns of more film frames vs (quality of) perceived motion in film cinemas. 

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html is a decent explanation of the myth that we only see 24FPS.

It's true enough, BUT the problem is the way video games are rendered.

a movie is filmed, each frame is 1/24th of a second, so all that movie is captured in motion blur, thus each frame blurs into each other. When we see the real world, our eyes will naturally do the same thing motion blur to somewhere between 1/24th-30th of a second.

Therein lies the problem. a video game rendered at 30fps, has 30 frames per second, BUT each frame is a PERFECT capture of everything at the unlimited small frame of time at the start of that 30th of a second, not a whole 1/30th of a second capture. Thus they eyes can't add natural motion blur. because of this 30 fps will appear to be jerky, while 60fps will add a little two frames to each "frame" the eye distinguishes, letting the eye to some natural motion blur, 120 fps adds 4-5 subframes allowing for enough sub frames for the natural motion blur of the eyes to make it appear near real. 

Hence it's not really a myth, it just doesn't translate to CGI real time rendering, not without adding proper 30th of a second motion blur to every frame anyway, which would require as much resources to do as simply rendering 4 times as many frames...

Not sure why you assume everyone considers the Xbox One a media box rather than a game console because of bad PR from Microsoft.. I think in most cases its what they actually did with the Xbox One and the Xbox Studios.

For example they added a hdmi 'in' to the Xbox, they added tv guide and allowed a tv input. They paid $400 Million for a NFL contract so they could stream live feeds from NFL games.. That $400 Million could' have made at least 40 new games or reduced the cost of the Xbox by $100 for 4 Million buyers. Microsoft is creating TV series which cost millions per episode.. Not only will these episodes be pirated within minutes of being put on the store and onto torrent sites but the simple fact that they are taking away money which should be invested in gaming for a gaming console makes people consider it a media box.

Not sure why you assume everyone considers the Xbox One a media box rather than a game console because of bad PR from Microsoft.. I think in most cases its what they actually did with the Xbox One and the Xbox Studios.

For example they added a hdmi 'in' to the Xbox, they added tv guide and allowed a tv input. They paid $400 Million for a NFL contract so they could stream live feeds from NFL games.. That $400 Million could' have made at least 40 new games or reduced the cost of the Xbox by $100 for 4 Million buyers. Microsoft is creating TV series which cost millions per episode.. Not only will these episodes be pirated within minutes of being put on the store and onto torrent sites but the simple fact that they are taking away money which should be invested in gaming for a gaming console makes people consider it a media box.

That's weird, I must've missed the part where they stopped investing heavily in gaming in order to invest more in media.

Oh that's right, that never happened.  They just decided to do both which, as a company that rakes in $80bn a year in revenue, is well within their ability.

Your logic would have been true if Microsoft didn't invest $1billion in Xbox One games. Microsoft has money to throw around unlike Sony. You can disagree with their approach/strategy but why can't they do everything if they can afford to?

I personally have zero interest in NFL features whenever I buy Xbox One but that doesn't mean others don't find it useful.

• Like 2

They are also investing 1 billion in game IP to start off this generation.

Again, I think it was the marketing that created the image more than the reality. You like to point out the investments that MS is making in media, yet Sony is doing the same thing. Remember that whole TV service they announced? What about their music unlimited and video unlimited services which are being expanded?

Sony sold the whole package better. They both want to offer their console to a wide audience and that means offering more than just gaming. MS led with the non gaming stuff and that was a mistake. Timing is everything.

• Like 3

That's weird, I must've missed the part where they stopped investing heavily in gaming in order to invest more in media.

Oh that's right, that never happened.  They just decided to do both which, as a company that rakes in $80bn a year in revenue, is well within their ability.

Your logic would have been true if Microsoft didn't invest $1billion in Xbox One games. Microsoft has money to throw around unlike Sony. You can disagree with their approach/strategy but why can't they do everything if they can afford to?

I personally have zero interest in NFL features whenever I buy Xbox One but that doesn't mean others don't find it useful.

They are also investing 1 billion in game IP to start off this generation.

Again, I think it was the marketing that created the image more than the reality. You like to point out the investments that MS is making in media, yet Sony is doing the same thing. Remember that whole TV service they announced? What about their music unlimited and video unlimited services which are being expanded?

Sony sold the whole package better. They both want to offer their console to a wide audience and that means offering more than just gaming. MS led with the non gaming stuff and that was a mistake. Timing is everything.

Microsoft said they intend on investing $1 billion in new Xbox One games, they haven't already invested it. It will be over the life of the console. (But Microsoft will have invested over $1 billion in media features by the end of this year).

Microsoft has already invested more into media rather than gaming, maybe this will change further into the life of the console but they are marketing it as an all-in-one system and are trying to get non-gamers to buy them so they will have to continue to cater for them.

The Sony TV service is a streaming service similar to Netflix, they are using the PS4 system as a platform to sell it and not using it as a feature to sell the PS4. Basically the streaming service will make money on its own. Same as Video Unlimited and Music Unlimited. The NFL app, tv features, media features and tv shows which will be coming to the Xbox One are specifically made to sell the Xbox One and XBL.

Also Sony has major film and music studios under its name, it didnt need to create new content specifically for the PS4 it just used its own studios which are already creating the content.